Killer Instinct Gold

stinger9142
Guardian

July 4th, 2017, 4:41 pm #1

Sorry for the delay there everyone. Forgot to get the post up.

Killer Instinct is our winner. I never owned it but played a friends copy a good bit. Also rented the SNES KI a few times as I recall. I liked the art in the game, and felt it was one of the more quality N64 fighting games

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 4th, 2017, 7:27 pm #2

It's been a little over 4 years since I did my Killer Instinct Gold retrospective video and a lot has changed since then. For one, the retro video game collecting craze has cooled down considerably. Also, Killer Instinct Gold is now available for the Xbox One through the Rare Replay compilation. Interestingly, Killer Instinct 2 (the arcade version of Killer Instinct Gold) is also available on that system. I don't own an Xbox One so I can't speak to how well KIG and/or KI2 have been ported although most of the reviews I've read are quite kind to the translations.

So where does that leave the actual N64 cartridge version of Killer Instinct Gold? Right now prices seem very stable at around $20 for clean examples sans the box or instruction booklet. Since the game sold in high quantities there's little reason to believe that the carts online are anything other than authentic. Moreover, the game remains enjoyable to play with a friend so in that regard it's worth owning but the single-player elements seem rather tedious by today's standards. That stems mostly from a very cheap AI that reads your inputs and the game's relatively small roster of characters. Nonetheless, I still believe every retro fighting game fan or N64 enthusiasts should have the cartridge in their library.

How has Killer Instinct Gold aged in the 20 years since it was originally released? Not too well but part of that has to do with the fact that it was never very impressive to begin with. It's missing frames of animation, the pre-rendered sprites are blurry and the 3D backgrounds aren't as crisp as its arcade brother Killer Instinct 2's scaling FMV. The missing frames of animation really hurt too because it affects the controls making them feel a tad unresponsive. The N64 controller doesn't help here either because the D-pad is generally very tight and seems to have less travel than say the D-pad on an SNES controller.

All that being said, I still find Killer Instinct Gold to be a sort of a time machine to a simpler time and place and for that reason alone I consider my cartridge, box and strategy guide to be almost priceless. :D

Edit: To fix photo.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

No64DD
Elite

July 5th, 2017, 3:06 am #3

Grizzmeister wrote: The N64 controller doesn't help here either because the D-pad is generally very tight and seems to have less travel than say the D-pad on an SNES controller.
You made a great synopsis of this game. The reason i quoted the above statement is because using the D-pad is the best way to experience this game, especially on Ludicrus speed. This mode is the best representation of complex fighting on the Nintendo 64.
If combined with the 3rd person perspective, this game surpasses the arcade versions in overall gameplay!
I enjoy that this game is finally getting recognition here, as well as the rendition on XboxOne.

My go to is Jago or Kim Wu. ?
A Secret star
lie here~

Milage007
Elite

July 5th, 2017, 5:17 am #4

Agree about the D-pad as I said on the other thread. Some good points Grizz!

This is the best fighter on the system in my opinion. There aren't overly many and the ones there are largely lacked the real awesome nature of previous said games on the Super Nintendo (for me). KI did improve though and it is a game that is steadily getting more expensive in the UK.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 5th, 2017, 1:31 pm #5

No64DD wrote:
Grizzmeister wrote: The N64 controller doesn't help here either because the D-pad is generally very tight and seems to have less travel than say the D-pad on an SNES controller.
You made a great synopsis of this game. The reason i quoted the above statement is because using the D-pad is the best way to experience this game, especially on Ludicrus speed.
Speaking about the speed of Killer Instinct Gold, Normal (the default setting) is just too slow. Me and my friend Jonathan always bump it up to either Fast or Ultra when we play each other. At the faster speeds the missing frames of animation aren't as noticeable which defies all logic I know but both Jonathan and I agree on that observation. I've never played KIG in Ludicrous in either single or multi-player mode. I'll have to finally give that a try while I'm playing it this month. First I gotta knock off the cobwebs on my combos, though. :D

Since many people main Jago, I like to play as Spinal as a counter pick. His teleports are great for getting up close to or behind opponents who spam Endokukens (fireballs) from full-screen. Since Spinal has three teleports, or Skeleports as they're referred to in the in-game parlance, I can mix it up and leave my opponent guessing as to where I'll materialize next. Absorbing "Power Devouring" the first fireball is all I need to set up my teleports which is often easier than taking a pause from the action to Skull Summon.
Milage007 wrote:This is the best fighter on the system in my opinion. There aren't overly many and the ones there are largely lacked the real awesome nature of previous said games on the Super Nintendo (for me). KI did improve though and it is a game that is steadily getting more expensive in the UK.
Killer Instinct Gold cartridges are still going up in price in the UK, huh? That's interesting and perhaps a result of the success of the new Killer Instinct on the Xbox One. I hear the new KI has improved steadily since it first launched back in 2013. After watching recent tournament footage of KI season three - I know the first game I'd buy if I got an XB1 would be this new iteration. I also like that it includes the arcade versions of KI1 and KI2!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

stinger9142
Guardian

July 5th, 2017, 2:43 pm #6

Well said Grizz!

July 5th, 2017, 5:30 pm #7

ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

D.J Cat
Veteran

July 5th, 2017, 5:44 pm #8

I have a hell of a lot of time for Killer Instinct In every which way.

Grizz, buddy, you would destroy me if we played.

Maybe not in the new version, but you would probably work it out and get better than me before too long in that one too ?

How good is the music for the whole series?
Cop this:

https://youtu.be/7wHVXaQRuFU

https://youtu.be/8fehQs1LAfg

https://youtu.be/JIE94pn4iJs

https://youtu.be/ICKrtbT3PqE

I think the fact i bought an XBoxOne just for Killer Instinct a few weeks after release shows just how much I loved and still appreciate the crap out of Killer Instinct Gold.

No64DD
Elite

July 6th, 2017, 2:24 am #9

I played this game so much back then, with the D-pad, that i still have a permanent callus on my thumb. ?

The $85+ asking price for this game when it came out was totally worth it.
A Secret star
lie here~

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 6th, 2017, 12:07 pm #10

No64DD wrote:I played this game so much back then, with the D-pad, that i still have a permanent callus on my thumb. ?
Playing too much Killer Instinct Gold will do that and also make you go blind. :lol:
D.J Cat wrote:Grizz, buddy, you would destroy me if we played.
Probably not. I may be good at Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. but I'm really not that great at KIG. :-8
D.J Cat wrote:I think the fact i bought an XBoxOne just for Killer Instinct a few weeks after release shows just how much I loved and still appreciate the crap out of Killer Instinct Gold.
How good is the online competition on the XB1 version of KI? Also, do you have a fight-stick or do you use the standard Microsoft controller?