Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

4:05 PM - Aug 11, 2014 #21

Grizzmeister wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Perfect for retro gaming. :yeah:
I read the specs and that really is a fantastic CRT for retro consoles like the N64.

My standard definition set is a 20 inch Toshiba 20AF44 CRT that even includes component inputs in the rear. Since the N64 doesn't support component I have it hooked up via S-Video.
thank you!

I read the specs before I bought.

I know a lot of people here think is funny I paid for it but it was in good quilatiy (almost new) and from what I read it's perfect for retro gaming.

It's a sony and it has really good side speakers.

It's heavy as hell though!!!

I played a lot this weekend and my eyes actually got used to the picture again and it looked normal.

Its just that years of seeing HDTVS really mess with you after going back.

My NES/SNES games especially look good on it. Awww how I missed scanlines. lol.

LivingGhandi
LivingGhandi

4:26 PM - Aug 11, 2014 #22

Kobeskillz wrote:
Grizzmeister wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

I read the specs and that really is a fantastic CRT for retro consoles like the N64.

My standard definition set is a 20 inch Toshiba 20AF44 CRT that even includes component inputs in the rear. Since the N64 doesn't support component I have it hooked up via S-Video.
It's heavy as hell though!!!
Lol, no joke I had a 32" one for a few years. Moving that thing up stairs LITERALLY took 3 grown men. Hahaha.. I don't miss it. Maybe I will get a smaller one someday.
Consoles: 14/16 (6 CIB)
Controllers: 24/30 (10 CIB)
Games: 285/296 (23 CIB)
Midwest USA

Grizzmeister
Elite

4:35 PM - Aug 11, 2014 #23

Yeah I had a 32 inch Panasonic Tau that died on me back in 2010 and it took three of us to get it out of the house. I cried when it stopped working because it had the best picture I'd ever seen on a CRT TV. ;_;

I remember when I first got it all my hardcore gaming friends were so jealous. Mario Kart 64 4-player split screen was glorious on that set. My little 20 inch Toshiba simply can't compete.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

5:43 PM - Aug 11, 2014 #24

Grizzmeister wrote:Yeah I had a 32 inch Panasonic Tau that died on me back in 2010 and it took three of us to get it out of the house. I cried when it stopped working because it had the best picture I'd ever seen on a CRT TV. ;_;

I remember when I first got it all my hardcore gaming friends were so jealous. Mario Kart 64 4-player split screen was glorious on that set. My little 20 inch Toshiba simply can't compete.
Yeah a few years back my stupid stupid idiot brother sold most of my N64/Super games.

Not all but the best ones. Long story and it's hard to even type but since then I kinda changed my mind on re buying them.

So Anything that I have on the Wii Virtual Console i'm not rebuying. Screw it.

Anything not on the VC i'm buying.

Battletanks
Goldeneye
Turok 2
Rogue Squadrin

Stuff like that

Perfect dark and Banjo I have on the 360

I own Conker, Jet force, BAttle for naboo. He didn't sell those or they didn't want to buy them.

Ugh it's a long process but slowly. I got the TV now. Now gotta slowly buy games here and there, controllers, rumble, save pack.

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

7:12 PM - Aug 11, 2014 #25

Kobeskillz wrote:Funny because you spend so much time getting the latest and greatest and after a while I go back and get something old. lol.

I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

This should be a great TV - the smaller size will pretty much negate the need for RGB over s-video as well :)

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

10:12 PM - Aug 11, 2014 #26

andykara2003 wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:Funny because you spend so much time getting the latest and greatest and after a while I go back and get something old. lol.

I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

This should be a great TV - the smaller size will pretty much negate the need for RGB over s-video as well :)
Cool i'm glad it's a good TV. I mean I looked it up online but wasn't sure if it was a good tv or not. It looks good so far and it's in great condition.

Can't wait until I have a garage to put the tv out there and let that be my zone.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

9:50 PM - Sep 05, 2014 #27

Ok so update a month later.

I got a bunch of games like I said I would.

Also while Jet Force is blurry I also contribute it to the lousy S video cable I have that also has composite. Its a universal one.

I will get my monster S video tomorrow hopefully and start doing comparisons. I expect it to look better. Also my eyes are more used to the resolution after a week of playing some games.

70% of it is getting your eyes used to the resolution and framerate IMO. After that the games start to look good again even on an HDTV.

Not great but at least not horrid after doing HD gaming for years then all of a sudden seeing your N64 and not being as you remember. lol.

Grizzmeister
Elite

11:54 PM - Dec 04, 2016 #28

Recently I picked up this 13 inch Sony Wega (model number KV-13FS100) that a guy on Craig's List gave me for free. :whistle:

He still had the original box and the remote which made the 40 mile drive out to get it completely worthwhile.

Immediately when I got home I connected my Wii to it with component cables and started playing Samurai Shodown II so I could calibrate the picture. It looks great although it's a little washed out in the photo because of the flash from my camera.

I'm probably going to put it back in the box after a few days and store it in my in-law's basement as a spare in case my 20" Toshiba CRT ever fails.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

kartmaster
Veteran

12:09 AM - Dec 05, 2016 #29

Wow. I didn't know they made Trinitrons in that size. I bet that thing looks magnificent in person.

Milage007
Elite

8:19 AM - Dec 05, 2016 #30

Awesome find that Grizzmeister.

I still need to get myself a CRT. >_>

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?