andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

August 8th, 2014, 8:50 am #11

Kobeskillz wrote:Yeah seriously but for me is anything under GameCube. GameCube games that support 480p look nice on hdtvs. 480i is a mixed bag. Wii games pop in 480p for the most part.

N64 and under forget about it. You need a crt!!!
I can't stand how the Gamecube/Wii era consoles look on an HDTV - even a small one. They're the last console generations to have a jump up in quality if used on CRTs.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

August 8th, 2014, 1:37 pm #12

andykara2003 wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:Yeah seriously but for me is anything under GameCube. GameCube games that support 480p look nice on hdtvs. 480i is a mixed bag. Wii games pop in 480p for the most part.

N64 and under forget about it. You need a crt!!!
I can't stand how the Gamecube/Wii era consoles look on an HDTV - even a small one. They're the last console generations to have a jump up in quality if used on CRTs.
Yeah it depends really. I was playing kirby return to dream land yesterday on my HDTV and that game looks just gorgeous. Other games do look better on an old tv maybe ones that sacrifice clarity for detail and end up looking a blurry jaggie mess.

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

August 8th, 2014, 2:18 pm #13

True, there are games that look better than others. The mario galaxy games look pretty good on HDTVs as well - they look really stunning on a good CRT tho.

Grizzmeister
Elite

August 8th, 2014, 2:27 pm #14

The ultimate CRT's are the later flat screen ones that support resolutions up to 1080i. My neighbor has one and even his Xbox 360 games look good on it.

It's something like the TV in this video although I don't believe it's this same exact model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0CI5uIAJ0
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

August 9th, 2014, 1:30 am #15

So I cleaned my games with old reliable alcohol and got them working again and tested more games out.

Rare games like conked and jet force are blurry. Really blurry. Jet force is really bad.

Other games and especially expansion pack games care much much better. Battle for naboo looked great and so did mario 64.

I also fired up my new and that baby looks great and loved playing mario and contra without the HDTV lag.

Grimakis
Grimakis

August 9th, 2014, 2:52 am #16

Honestly, if you sit a good enough distance away from the TV, even a 40" flatscreen looks fine for N64 games.

Everything is still really playable. It's just bad when you go like 3 inches away and realize that Banjo and Kazooie are nothing more than a blob of scaled pixels.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

August 9th, 2014, 3:17 am #17

Grimakis wrote:Honestly, if you sit a good enough distance away from the TV, even a 40" flatscreen looks fine for N64 games.

Everything is still really playable. It's just bad when you go like 3 inches away and realize that Banjo and Kazooie are nothing more than a blob of scaled pixels.
Haha that's true I was up close to the tv pressing the menu buttons and saw the huge square pixels and was shocked. It's been so long since I've used a standard crt tv.

I'm telling you though something about rare games that look really blurry now. Anyone else notice this now?

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

August 10th, 2014, 7:00 am #18

kartmaster wrote:People can't get rid of these old CRTs fast enough. If you pay for one, you almost got a raw deal! If they didn't take up so much room I'd be stocking up!

Sweet score! I agree with everybody, N64 looks its best on CRT for sure!
Yep. I just had a retro games event at my place. We counted 13 tvs set up in my 2 bedroom apartment! Other than 1 I borrowed from my neighbour, all the others are mine :o I only paid for the 40" LED and one 51cm CRT when they were still the cheapest way to watch tellie. The others are freecycle/given/found on footpath! And yes, if I had a house with a nice big shed, you know what the back wall would be lined with :D

1080 looks very, very sweet on my 68cm TV 8)

Here's the 'kitchen arcade' section of my party. 4 tvs just there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwT3E9SmEU

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

August 10th, 2014, 7:48 pm #19

Hi guys, I did a slightly(!) obsessive bit of research into the best CRTs for the N64 specifically - the conclusion is in the last post:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 752/1/#new

The best easy to find CRT is probably a 25" or less 4:3 Sony trinitron, pre FST (curved tube), 50Hz. Anything that can display HD resolution (even EDTVs) will linedouble the image which is bad for the N64. 100Hz TV's introduce unwanted artefacts. It's ideal get one with low usage as CRT's look dim and blurred after a lot of use. Large TV's amplify the negative aspects of the N64's image and the flat screen models usually have geometry issues.

Grimakis makes a really good point - sitting a good distance from the TV makes the picture more acceptable no matter what TV you're using :)

Also, if you can find a TV that'll accept RGB scart, it's really worth doing an RGB mod - preferably using a THS7314 amp chip. RGB is quite a step up from s-video.

Grizzmeister
Elite

August 11th, 2014, 1:44 am #20

Kobeskillz wrote:I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Perfect for retro gaming. :yeah:
I read the specs and that really is a fantastic CRT for retro consoles like the N64.

My standard definition set is a 20 inch Toshiba 20AF44 CRT that even includes component inputs in the rear. Since the N64 doesn't support component I have it hooked up via S-Video.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer