July Game of the Month Nomination Topic

stinger9142
Guardian

June 11th, 2018, 6:23 pm #1

There are some changes from our typical format, so please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the new format.

HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

1 - The list has been reset. Past GotM winners are back on the table. Wave Race served not as the 85th winner of Game of the Month. It will instead be 1st on an entirely new list.

2 - The top 20 in sales list will be eligible more often. In fact they will be eligible on any month where a top 20 game didn't win the previous month. Also top 20 games cannot win more than 5 months out of the year. This ensures that some of the top 20 games make it through the first 4 years of a cycle. Also it means that up to 4 more top 20 games can win this year before the rest become ineligible.

3 - The NA/Pal region restriction is over. If a game unavailable in your region is nominated and wins, perhaps take the chance to read and learn what you missed out on. JP region exclusives are still not eligible.

4 - Also to spice things up a bit, I want to honor those who participate frequently. I will be keeping track of a points system to reward someone at the end of the year. Staff (other than myself) ARE eligible too! Members will get a point each month that they nominate a game. The member(s) who nominate the winning game will get another point. Anyone who comments on the winning games post to discuss the winner will get another point PER POST (while that game is the active GotM, and as long as they are meaningful posts). At the end of the year, I will tally the points and name the winner the "2018 Nintendo 64 Forever Game of the Month MVP". That person will receive a Nintendo/PSN/Xbox gift card of their choosing of at least $20 in value (I will try to do more if I can). I will be making this retroactive to include the January GotM nomination topic, and will of course include the Wave Race Topic I just started. I do plan to eventually incorporate a running scoreboard so folks know where they stack up points wise

Here is how it works:

The topic will remain open for about a week. At which point, I will write each of the nominations on a piece of paper, and draw 5 total out of a bowl.

Those 5 will then be put to a vote for the rest of the month to decide the official "Nintendo 64 Forever Game of the Month". You may nominate a game already chosen by another member if you wish too, but only one piece of paper per game nominated will be put in to the bowl. If someone has already nominated a game you wished to nominate, please consider going with your 2nd choice. Those nominated that are not drawn out as well as the 4 that lose the vote will be eligible for re-nomination next month if you so choose. Please note, in certain situations, I may forego a drawing and include all nominated games in the poll.

In case anybody is lost here, the idea is for you to discuss the game. If you own it or have access to it, perhaps play it a bit to refresh yourself on it. Take some time to reflect on it. Discuss what worked and what didn't. How were the graphics/gameplay/music received when it was released? How has the game stood the test of time? This is a great chance to discover fun games you perhaps missed out on, or to learn about a game that was not available in your region.

Here are the list of the top 20 N64 games according to sales. **This month they are NOT eligible**

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. GoldenEye 007
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Super Smash Brothers
6. Diddy Kong Racing (GotM March 2018)
7. Pokemon Stadium
8. Donkey Kong 64
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10. Star Fox 64 (GotM June 2018)
11. Banjo-Tooie
12. Pokemon Snap
13. Perfect Dark
14. Mario Party 2
15. Banjo-Kazooie
16. Pokemon Stadium 2
17. Wave Race 64 - (GotM January of 2018)
18. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
19. Yoshi's Story
20. Mario Party

Previous Game of the Month Winners that are ineligible:

1. Wave Race - January 2018
2. Sin & Punishment - February 2018
3. Diddy Kong Racing - March 2018
4. Quest 64 - April 2018
5. Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt - May 2018
6. Star Fox 64 - June 2018

Need help thinking of a game? A list of Games for the N64 can be found HERE.

Cabanon
Elite

June 12th, 2018, 3:59 am #2

Pilotwings

Shame on me, never played that one.

stinger9142
Guardian

June 12th, 2018, 6:01 pm #3

Great selection :yeah:

I will throw out a curve ball:
Resident Evil 2

Grizzmeister
Elite

June 12th, 2018, 9:17 pm #4

stinger9142 wrote:I will throw out a curve ball:
Resident Evil 2
How appropriate. :D
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

buddy1983
Elite

June 13th, 2018, 12:58 pm #5

RE2, yes it gets my vote too :)
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

June 16th, 2018, 1:06 am #6

For fun, I’ll throw out Glover. Though I’m pretty sure I know what’s gonna take it ;)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

June 16th, 2018, 2:09 am #7

I just completed Glover again last month. Wouldn't mind if it won

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

June 21st, 2018, 4:36 am #8

Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer is my nomination.

stinger9142
Guardian

June 22nd, 2018, 3:28 pm #9

We have 4 nominations, I will wait until tomorrow to put a poll up. If anybody else has a nomination to throw out, it will be a shoe in to make the vote off. If by tomorrow it is still just 4 games, I will put the poll up on just those 4.