Inspiration from/for Nintendo Games

bluedogrulez
Guardian

12:37 PM - Dec 29, 2011 #1

Over the years, I've come up with a few half-baked theories. I figured I combine them into one post to further denigrate my credibility on the within subjects. Enjoy!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRACKPOT THEORY #1: HYDRO THUNDER INSPIRED ABC's LOST
Lost Island Looks Very Familiar

Hi all. So I was playing Hydro Thunder last night and raced around Lost Island a few times. As I was playing, I thought it was so cool how Midway incorporated elements of ABC's Lost (great show, hope it made it to your region of the world) that race. The crashed airplane, the beach campsite, the mid race radar knockout, and what appeared to be the smoke monster on the Lost Island logo on the choose race screen.

But then it dawned on me this morning: Which came first?

Hydro Thunder's US release date was in 2001. Lost Season 1 aired in 2004. So the above obsevations are merely coincidental . . . or are they?? [cue Lost's black title screen].

Anyone else notice this??
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Meptrep
Meptrep

1:05 PM - Dec 29, 2011 #2

I've never played Hyrdro Thunder, but I was about to say that I was pretty sure that Lost came after the N64 era. I guess it's just a strange coincidence, but Lost was probably being writting for quite a while. Perhaps before it was actually filmed, edited, and stuff like that, Midway heard about Lost when it was being written or something. That's all I can come up with, since a TV show that was really good being based on a level from a N64 game sounds a bit odd.

The Red Shadow
Guardian

2:09 PM - Dec 29, 2011 #3

Ooh, now I need to get Hydro Thunder. LOST is one of my favorite shows. :lol:

D.J Cat
Veteran

2:14 PM - Dec 29, 2011 #4

Wow, nice observation.

I will point that out to everyone I play the game with from now on. :)

Never really watched much of the show, just saw other people watching it mostly...

Fanny
Established Member
Fanny
Established Member

1:22 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #5

The Red Shadow wrote:Ooh, now I need to get Hydro Thunder. LOST is one of my favorite shows. :lol:
You like "Lost" AND you have an "X-Files" avatar?!?!?!

Can we be friends? Those were hands down the greatest 2 shows ever! :)
?A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!?

bluedogrulez
Guardian

1:27 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #6

Amen Fanny! Perhaps we can debate the "merits" of Scully .vs Claire (not possessed) vs. Kate (jungle dirty version), lol. How I miss those shows...

Fanny
Established Member
Fanny
Established Member

1:36 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #7

bluedogrulez wrote:Amen Fanny! Perhaps we can debate the "merits" of Scully .vs Claire (not possessed) vs. Kate (jungle dirty version), lol. How I miss those shows...
Scully will always be one of the greatest female characters in any movie or show. Gillian Anderson deserved all her accolades for her portrayal. "Lost" was great on many of the same levels, but I think "The X-Files" came at the perfect time and really was the better of the two, though it's not an easy debate.

I just watched Season 6, Episode 6 - "How The Ghosts Stole Christmas" back on Christmas night and absolutely lavished every second of it. :) I have all of the collector's editions dvd sets and both movies on blu ray. I have seen each episode at least 4 times and each movie several times as well. A truly classic genre show and really a great show in the history of television.
?A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!?

bluedogrulez
Guardian

1:40 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #8

Did u ever see Lost Reduced by the reduced shakespheare company on Youtube? Sketch comedy group, very funny (tho makes me a bit nostalgic).

Ps i have to agree again. Scully rocked.

(Apologies for the multiple edits!)

The Red Shadow
Guardian

2:50 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #9

Very awesome to see some fellow Lost and X-Files fans on the forum. Now if you guys are also into Star Trek: The Next Generation and Firefly we could really have something. :yeah:

By the way, to keep on topic, I won Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for PS2 on eBay today because it has Hydro Thunder on it. I know I'll get the N64 cart someday but I really wanted to get my hands on those collections and killed two birds with one stone.

Meptrep
Meptrep

2:56 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #10

The Red Shadow wrote:Very awesome to see some fellow Lost and X-Files fans on the forum. Now if you guys are also into Star Trek: The Next Generation and Firefly we could really have something. :yeah:
I don't care for Lost or the X-Files too much, but I'm a huge Star Trek: The Next Generation fan as well as Firefly.