The Red Shadow
Guardian

3:02 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #11

Meptrep wrote:
The Red Shadow wrote:Very awesome to see some fellow Lost and X-Files fans on the forum. Now if you guys are also into Star Trek: The Next Generation and Firefly we could really have something. :yeah:
I don't care for Lost or the X-Files too much, but I'm a huge Star Trek: The Next Generation fan as well as Firefly.
That's awesome as well. Perhaps we should have a sci-fi discussion topic in the Social Board as it would be fun to gab about some of these shows again.

Fanny
Established Member
Fanny
Established Member

7:46 AM - Dec 30, 2011 #12

Never got into any Star Trek, but Firefly was great and Serenity is in my top 100 movies of all time! ;)
?A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!?

D.J Cat
Veteran

12:41 AM - Jan 02, 2012 #13

bluedogrulez wrote:Hi all. So I was playing Hydro Thunder last night and raced around Lost Island a few times. As I was playing, I thought it was so cool how Midway incorporated elements of ABC's Lost (great show, hope it made it to your region of the world) that race. The crashed airplane, the beach campsite, the mid race radar knockout, and what appeared to be the smoke monster on the Lost Island logo on the choose race screen.
I see the crashed plane, a big one too.
Couldnt see the beach camp site, but there are many beaches, so maybe I just didnt see it.
And I see the "smoke monster" on the track select.

No one tell me what happens, one day I might want to watch the show. :o
Spoilers are horrible, horrible things.

The "Hard" tracks in Hydro Thunder are so cool!
[+] Spoiler
Ship Graveyard!
New York Disaster! Theres a sign right at the start for the Late Show - Extra Milky (thats what it says)

The Red Shadow
Guardian

2:50 AM - Jan 02, 2012 #14

I played Hydro Thunder on the Midway Arcade Treasures 3 collection yesterday and got a good chuckle from that race. I missed the smoke monster on the track select part but I did see the crashed plane. I need to look harder for the camp site as well. I got sucked into how much fun the game was that I almost forgot about the Lost stuff. :lol:

And D.J Cat, you should definitely check the show out. If for no other reason than to have some input into the legacy of the show. I loved every minute of it, other people hated it with a passion. It absolutely seems to polarize people one way or the other.

D.J Cat
Veteran

5:12 AM - Jan 18, 2012 #15

Straight from the instruction book:

Located somewhere in the South
Pacific, the Lost Island track offers a
fast-paced trek through a volcanic
island. Lush greenery, native villages,
ancient ruins and numerous secrets
await you!

And, yes!
Finally worked out how to do the jump again.
Let go of A, Brake, then Boost.
I was missing the first step I think.

When your boat dips down, thats when you boost.
Can be very handy!

bluedogrulez
Guardian

3:17 PM - Jan 18, 2012 #16

@DJCat: Are you kidding me? The South Pacific, ancient ruins, secrets . . . we are definitely on to something :P !!

Here is how I boost-hop: Hold A (gas). A second before the hop, depress B(Brake) too. When A and B both down, depress Z (boost), and hop you shall. Just make sure you've got some nitro left in the tank.

You can earn a 4-sec boost at the start as follows: After selecting track and boat, there is a blue screen with a boat. Depress B. Then the racing screen appears. As the 3 disappears, release B and depress A similtaneously. Then as the 2 disappears, release A and depress B similtaneously. Then as the 1 disappears, release B and depress A similtaneously. Four second boost earned. (If you do it right, you will notice that your tachometer ticks a bit every time you release/depress A/B.) This is handy in the Far East, where you need to booast hop to shortcuts before any boost are available on the track.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

bluedogrulez
Guardian

7:01 PM - Jan 24, 2012 #17

CRACKPOT THEORY #2: THE AMINE SHORT "THE RUNNING MAN" INSPIRED F-ZERO
And Cake's "The Distance," too!

F-Zero and F-Zero X are all about futuristic hovercrafts racing to the death over ramped courses. Where have I seen this before??

Oh, right, Liquid Television on MTV (after the glorious period of nonstop videos and before the present days of nonstop unwatchable reality TV). Sarcasm aside, I just found this link to an English dub of The Running Man, an anime film short by Yoshiaki Kawajiri that I have not forgotten in 20+ years. It is that good . . . and reminds me of Cake's The Distance.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... i-streamed
https://vimeo.com/121083958

So which came first? The Running Man was originally released in 1986. F Zero did not hit any Nintendo console until November of 1990 (Super Famicon).

Even if this theory is more half-cocked that my Hydro Thunder = Lost thread, this short film is worth watching.

D.J Cat
Veteran

12:57 AM - Jan 26, 2012 #18

It said something about this video not being watchable in this region.

Sounds legit though.
And I liked the Lost theory as you know.

CRACKPOT THEORY #3: BANJO KAZOOIE'S COVER ART "COVERED" THE COVER ART OF AN ATARI 2600 GAME
By Guest Crackpot Theorist, D.J. Cat

I read about this in N64 Magazine (A UK mag) over 10 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Ca ... eo_game%29

Tell me Banjo-Kazooie and that game dont have a LOT of similarities...

bluedogrulez
Guardian

3:29 AM - Jan 26, 2012 #19

Oh, no! Sorry to hear that! The video is readily available on google in Japanese; the full length english version was a bit harder to find. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully others will google it; great anime in any language.

Crystal Castles was apparently pretty influential even if that cute cudly bear with a hat had nothing to do with Banjo.

danilochka
danilochka

3:15 PM - Jan 26, 2012 #20

yeah I remember reading the same article, though I think they were just talking about the similarities in box art