I'm in mourning...

The Red Shadow
Guardian

1:09 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #1

I'm sad today as it seems my PS3 has died, or at least suffered some sort of failure that is keeping me from using it. I was watching YouTube on it last night and it suddenly went to a pink/purple screen, then black, back to the colors and then black again. I thought perhaps the video had glitched for the video I was watching but upon grabbing the controller and trying to quit out nothing happened. I had to manually shut off the console and I was never able to get anything to appear on screen after that. No signal detected is what the TV notifies me of. Whether I use a different HDMI cable, HDMI input or even the original PS3 AV cable, I get nothing. I can still eject and insert a game and the console still appears to be reading the disc so I'm guessing it has something to do with the output from the PS3. Question is...what can I do? Is this something worth getting repaired or should I just suck it up and figure out how I'm going to afford a new console? This hits at a horrible time as the spending money from my tax return is pretty much gone. I rely so much on that one particular console. Argh! X_D

bluedogrulez
Guardian

1:54 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #2

Don't know what to say other than you have my condolences.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

floorcat
Elite

2:03 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #3

Oh Red... ;_; ;_; ;_;
This saddens me immensely ;_;
Between Mk, Matt, and now you, there's been a bit too many machines puttering out recently around here... :-/ Let's hope it can be repaired!!

Matt
Elite

2:09 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #4

I actually managed to resurrect my PS3

What I did was take a vacuum and use it on vents to get dust out and just generally clean the inside, since (I assume) mine was overheating and it seems to be working nowadays, although i haven't really spent a extended amount of time playing it.

Try hold down the power button for two beeps, that should reset the video output, even if the HDMI port is dead, hopefully that should get you able to use the AV port for the time being until you can afford a replacement/repair

The Red Shadow
Guardian

4:00 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #5

Do I hold the power button down from off or while it is on? I'll give this a shot tonight after work and if it works it will definitely help me out a lot. Thanks, Matt, and everyone else for your kind and thoughtful words in my time of grief. ;_; :)

floorcat
Elite

5:14 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #6

Do this when the PS3 is off - you'll hear the regular beep when it turns on, but as you keep holding it, you'll hear the double beep, and it'll boot into the system menu. If it is the HDMI port that's gone, you might want to connect the PS3 via the standard component cable (or composite cable? whatever cable it came with originally...) before doing this system boot.

Martin64
Established Member
Martin64
Established Member

7:49 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #7

I got rid of my PS3 recently, but it was a 120GB Slim model (the first slim). Walked into Argos on launch day and bought it. Anyway, had it for over four years, and it saw a lot of use! It would get temperamental from time to time, crashing etc. Long story short - whenever it started to get very grumpy and refuse to do things properly, I'd take the console apart, vacuum the inside of it, then it'd be fine for another year.

Try that before anything else. Honestly, sometimes I'd take the top half of the shell casing to reveal a thick glob of dust molded into the shape of the casing lol! It looked like a PS3 made of dust! Unfortunately, it's just how these modern consoles are. Nowhere near enough space to breathe for longevity's sake, style very much gets put before practicality. If your PS3 is your 'main entertainment box' like mine was, and you've never opened it up to clean it - now's the time. It may be too late for you, as all that clogged up dust may have caused a gradual over-heating problem, resulting in one or more of the connections inside warping/breaking.

God-speed.

DeeMoney
Guardian

9:17 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #8

That's a bummer mate. Hopefully you can fix the problem. I'm sure you only took it out of the box less than a year ago. Pretty crappy if it's died already.

PS4 on the horizon maybe :unsure: :P
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Matt
Elite

9:50 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #9

Martin64 wrote:I got rid of my PS3 recently, but it was a 120GB Slim model (the first slim). Walked into Argos on launch day and bought it. Anyway, had it for over four years, and it saw a lot of use! It would get temperamental from time to time, crashing etc. Long story short - whenever it started to get very grumpy and refuse to do things properly, I'd take the console apart, vacuum the inside of it, then it'd be fine for another year.

Try that before anything else. Honestly, sometimes I'd take the top half of the shell casing to reveal a thick glob of dust molded into the shape of the casing lol! It looked like a PS3 made of dust! Unfortunately, it's just how these modern consoles are. Nowhere near enough space to breathe for longevity's sake, style very much gets put before practicality. If your PS3 is your 'main entertainment box' like mine was, and you've never opened it up to clean it - now's the time. It may be too late for you, as all that clogged up dust may have caused a gradual over-heating problem, resulting in one or more of the connections inside warping/breaking.

God-speed.
This is a pretty good suggestion too, although i think this is more a gpu or port error rather than a over heating issue, still, I never even took my fat PS3 apart, just aimed the vacuum at the ventilation holes and it really did reduce how loud it is, and I played MGS for close to 3 hours together without it shutting off

Cabanon
Elite

10:27 PM - Mar 11, 2014 #10

clean it. best option for now. it probably overheated due to dust. holding the power button for 2 beeps reset the output video selection mode. ie if someone before you used it via hdmi but you are using it via component, then it wont work when you plug it. you have to do that in order to see anything on screen. it's also written in the user's manual.