The Red Shadow
Guardian

1:30 AM - Mar 12, 2014 #11

I'm the only person who has ever used the console (for just about the year that Dee mentioned) and I've always only used HDMI. I have the AV cable hooked up for use with the 360 headset my friend gave me. Its necessary for its use. I will give the two beep thing a try tonight. As for cleaning the console, is it easy to open the shell up? I'm not normally good with that stuff unless its really simple. I might just take the vacuum to the ventilation openings if that won't cause static issues. Eh, I just hope I can get something going on it. Thanks for the suggestions, friends.

YogurtStorm
Veteran

2:41 AM - Mar 12, 2014 #12

Let us know how the double-bleep thing goes. The PS3 has some terrible design decisions, such as no auto display setting when switching between output types.

Martin64
Established Member
Martin64
Established Member

4:17 AM - Mar 12, 2014 #13

The Red Shadow wrote:As for cleaning the console, is it easy to open the shell up? I'm not normally good with that stuff unless its really simple. I might just take the vacuum to the ventilation openings if that won't cause static issues.
If it is because of dust, then simply vacuuming the vents should help. Not as much as opening it up and giving it a deep clean, but it should still help. As for how easy it is to open up - speaking only for the original PS3 Slim - it's not too bad. There's plenty of screws, bits and bobs to keep track of. Depends how far you want to strip it down. I used to basically just get the top off, and get the main heat shield/whatever it is off, then do my deep clean from there.

You can strip it down further if you want, but going beyond that point means taking apart the Blu-ray drive etc and getting down to the main PCB. Couldn't be bothered with that, personally. I think I went far enough. So long as you can get all the crap out of the cavities and most-importantly liberate that huge CPU fan of any dust/debris it may be clogged with, that's all you really need.

I don't know, but I can only assume that stripping down a PS3 fatty would be more complicated than mine, and a Super Slim would be less complicated. Kind of stands to reason that it would be that way. On my one, you started by undoing the screws on the underside of the machine, then when they're out you can get the top off and go from there.

In addition to relieving your PS3 of heat-related issues, you also tend to get a reduction in the amount of noise your PS3 makes. The first time I did it, it was simply to make the console quieter. I'd had it nearly two years at this point, and on some games you could really hear the CPU fan spinning up and getting ridiculously-loud. After the first strip-down and clean, it sounded pretty much as quiet as when I first got it.

Your mileage may vary depending on 1) your model of PS3, and 2) if dust actually is your problem. I'm guessing it isn't, and if it was - you're past the point of no return. Sounds to me like something on your PCB after rendering, but before actual output, has come away from the board. I say this because you say your games and stuff 'work', you just can't see it? This could be due to heat (in turn worsened/caused by dust buildup), or maybe someone in your house handled your console with too much force. Maybe they twisted it and the housing for the HDMI output twisted, pulling something away from the board inside?

I don't know. My PS3 Slim was pretty rugged. Sure I stripped it own and cleaned it a few ties in four years, but other than that it was an absolute trooper. Took it all kinds of places! In the end it was scratched beyond recognition and only had one foot left - but it still worked. Maybe you have a PS3 Super Slim, and your problem is that they're made very cheaply. I really don't like the Super Slims, lol.

Cabanon
Elite

2:04 PM - Mar 12, 2014 #14

you could give the job of stripping down a ps3 to a 6 years old kid and he could do it.

1 screw hold the hdd (really important to do first)
1 screw hold the top part with logo
8 screws hold the shell's top part
3 screws for the PSU + 1 cable
2 screws for the BD drive + 1 cable underneath
8 screws that hold the PCB to the bottom shell

and voila. you removed everything. clean it and put it back together. take less than 10 mins to remove it all, 10 mins to clean it, 10 min to put it back together.

The Red Shadow
Guardian

1:03 PM - Mar 13, 2014 #15

Yeah, I might surprise you in how many 6 year old capable tasks I'm NOT capable of.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to reset the video settings by holding the power button down and I'm now able to see it via AV. I'll try to switch it back to HDMI in a moment. Otherwise, I'll be able to use it with horrible video quality. Better than nothing, though.

Matt
Elite

3:28 PM - Mar 13, 2014 #16

The Red Shadow wrote:Yeah, I might surprise you in how many 6 year old capable tasks I'm NOT capable of.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to reset the video settings by holding the power button down and I'm now able to see it via AV. I'll try to switch it back to HDMI in a moment. Otherwise, I'll be able to use it with horrible video quality. Better than nothing, though.
If worst comes to worst, you can always grab some component cables at Monoprice or something if your TV supports it, it won't be 1080p but you should get 720p if your TV supports it

YogurtStorm
Veteran

4:41 PM - Mar 13, 2014 #17

Yeah, I tripped on my HDMI cable and pulled out the female port from the console itself. Thankfully, I can still go high def using Component!

floorcat
Elite

4:45 PM - Mar 13, 2014 #18

I'll also add, that the PS3 A/V port uses the same cable as that for the PS2 so... if you have a PS2 component cable lying around, you can just use that!!

The Red Shadow
Guardian

5:09 PM - Mar 13, 2014 #19

Ah, so many dilemmas! I have two component inputs on the TV but they are being taken up by the PS2 and the Wii. Am I wasting a component for the Wii? Or the PS2? I've seen the PS2 on this television through AV and it was awful. :huh:

floorcat
Elite

5:18 PM - Mar 13, 2014 #20

If that's the case, then the solution should be even easier (assuming your cables are relatively accessible, and you don't mind switching around cables depending on which Sony console you're using)... just unplug your PS2, and plug it into your PS3.