Hyperkin working on a portable n64 clone?

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

December 14th, 2017, 1:23 pm #1

Another article from Nintendo Life to discuss:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/1 ... do_64_mini

Even more than the prospect of a SupaBoy 64 (does anybody have Hyperkin’s portable SNES? - curious to hear your thoughts on it), I believe this is the first sighting of an n64 clone console. Not exactly sure when the patents expire but I wonder what implications this has for the N64 as a retro console to be desired by the public.

Have the clones for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. had any effect on game pricing or other parts of the retro gaming community?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

bluedogrulez
Guardian

December 14th, 2017, 3:37 pm #2

ItalianBaptist wrote:Have the clones for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. had any effect on game pricing or other parts of the retro gaming community?
I have to think they served to increase the demand for the games. That said, many NES gamers had dead NES units, so functional, no-blow clones were helpful in getting us gaming again. No sure that is the case with the N64 . . . consoles seem to endure most everything, its weak points being the power brick and the beloved thumbstick.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Retro Junkie
Retro Junkie

December 16th, 2017, 2:06 am #3

I'm kind of wondering if this is real or not. But if Hyperkin was going to build a N64 clone it would be a portable. There would be no way they could market a console and win against the N64. They are still very reasonable priced, IMO. And I would rather have the original hardware than a "touch n go" wishy-washy clone. I would come closer to picking up a portable. My mind keeps asking about power consumption, battery play time? I am thinking that would be a problem.

(I have the Superboy and the RetroDuo Portable. I like the RetroDuo better because of it feeling more comfortable to hold in my hands and less bulky. But the top L and R buttons are a pain to reach. I find the compatibility good on both systems, at least for the games I have. And I do have a lot of games. The overall design of the RetroDuo speaks sexy whereas the Superboy is more nostalgia. The audio volume is louder on the Superboy. Headphones are a must with the RetroDuo. I play the RetroDuo when sitting around the house, but when I get serious, I go to either my SNES or Super Famicom.)

No64DD
Elite

December 16th, 2017, 2:25 am #4

Judging from the screenshots, why does it look like it was put together with J.B.Weld?

A Secret star
lie here~

darkado
darkado

December 18th, 2017, 7:55 am #5

I agree with bluedogrulez. I've never heard of an n64, the console itself, breaking or dying.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

December 18th, 2017, 1:01 pm #6

Curious about the issue with the power brick; i've never heard of them being one of the vulnerable parts of the console, just the control stick.

I too have doubts about a Retron 64 selling well - as in just a clone of that one console. But what about a combination of NES/SNES/N64. Would that be more intriguing? Or something with HDMI without the need to mod the original console? I could see both of those as distinct possibilities.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

buddy1983
Elite

December 18th, 2017, 1:08 pm #7

I've had problems in the last with the power brick where the console would just reset randomly. Its only happened with one console though and I've own a fair few in my lifetime so I wouldn't call it wide spread.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting