How did you get into gaming?

stinger9142
Guardian

January 10th, 2013, 5:21 am #1

Alright, this time I want to know how you technically got into gaming. Perhaps you picked it up from family? or were introduced by a friend? Tell me your story.

Before I was born, my family had an Intellevision, so they gamed before me. I remember my brother getting an NES for Christmas in 88 I believe. We had Mario Brothers, Spy Hunter, Rad Racer, Duck Hunt, Top Gun, and some awesome wrestling game. Eventually we got Double Dragon. 2 Months later for my birthday, I was given Super Mario Brothers 2 as my very first video game. I was very excited. My whole family played from time to time. I had a foster brother who had Zelda, even my mom played it ;) Over the years we picked up some more titles. I also got an original Gameboy about this time. I played it a decent bit.

My brother was 10 years older than me, and when he moved out at 19, he took the NES. A year or so later, my aunt sold my mom her son's SNES. With it eventually came Super Mario World, Mario All Stars, Mario Paint, Double Dragon, Tetris Attack, and F Zero. I played a bit here and there, but not too heavy. In 95-96, I had a cousin who really got me into Mortal Kombat. I eventually got MK3 for SNES. A new friend I made at church was anxious to come over and play it. We also rented Doom, and enjoyed it.

In late 96 I started hanging out with a new guy at school. I had been playing Wolfenstein on PC for a couple of years. He was intrigued by it since he liked Doom. He educated me on the N64 coming out. After he got his on the release date, he brought it over and shower me Mario 64 and Pilot Wings. I was blown away! I was realizing how video games could be so fun. I also realized that they could be used to make friends. I didn't have many at the time, so that was big to me.

Honestly, it was a rapid downhill slide for me after that. I played HEAVILY on the 64 for the next 5 years. I took a small break from 01-03 after getting married. I picked up a PS2 in 03 because of a crazy need to play GTA games. I poured thousands of hours into the PS2. The PS3 would follow in 06 or 07 (I forget), With it the obsession only grew more.

So, I have always been around them, but got hooked by the N64 in 96, Big shock right? :lol:

Video games have given me countless hours of enjoyment, 2 of my best friends, and my amazing wife :yeah:

DeeMoney
Guardian

January 10th, 2013, 5:34 am #2

Good topic mate :yeah:

My first experience with gaming would have been when my parents bought me and my brother a Sega Master System 2. I never owned a Nintendo console before the :n64: came out. And believe me I knew about it as the neighbours up the road had a NES and we would cruise up there and play as often as we could.

But that really didn't stop us from playing our SMS. We smashed that and used to play games like Spy v Spy, Olympic Gold, Sonic, Wonderboy, Golden Axe etc etc

Actually after typing all that, I just realised that we had a Commodore 64 first and that we used to fight like cats and dogs trying to get a game of that. (pretty hard when your 1 of 6 kids).

Don't remember really any of the games we used to play as I was too young.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

stinger9142
Guardian

January 10th, 2013, 5:37 am #3

Thanks, buddy :D

Ah yes, the old Commodore 64 :lol: You made me remember that my brother had one of those. I don't remember much about it though. I don't think I ever played on it even once!

TNT737373
Veteran

January 10th, 2013, 5:38 am #4

I had gone over my friend's house one day just turning 6 years old, and he had a brand new N64 in his living room with Star Fox 64 up on the TV. I just watched him play until I had to go home over 3 hours later. The next day I had rushed over his house in a trance, and we just played all afternoon taking different routes through the game. Serious fun. I nagged my parents habitually over the next 6 months to get me one, it took them long to give in, ha. Finally they did break down, and I had one the following Christmas.

DeeMoney
Guardian

January 10th, 2013, 5:39 am #5

stinger9142 wrote:Thanks, buddy :D

Ah yes, the old Commodore 64 :lol: You made me remember that my brother had one of those. I don't remember much about it though. I don't think I ever played on it even once!
I used to play it as much as I could when I was young I remember. The only issue was that the games used to take forever to load.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

The Red Shadow
Guardian

January 10th, 2013, 6:18 am #6

When I was pretty young, back in the early 80s, I had several friends who had Intellivisions and Colecovisions, and I was smitten almost from the get go. I also knew this particular family who were very rich (they owned three houses right next to each other) and I got to go over to their main home a few times to see their arcade room that had full cabinet games like Tron, Dig Dug, etc. I knew I had to own a home system and play games whenever I could. Got an Atari 2600 shortly after that and never looked back.

stinger9142
Guardian

January 10th, 2013, 11:43 am #7

Having an arcade room would be awesome! My dad has a game room, but it is filled with pinball machines. Don't get me wrong, I like pinball, he just needs some arcade machines :lol:

dataDyne
Elite

January 10th, 2013, 12:58 pm #8

At Christmas in 1995, when I was five years old, my parents (well, Santa ;)) bought me a Sega MegaDrive. At that age the only game I'd ever played was Commander Keen, so when my parents hooked up the console and I saw the Altered Beast start-up screen appear on the TV, I just about :pottymouth: my pants haha.

From there I aquired a number of games (most notably Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Streets of Rage and Shinobi) and played the hell out of my MegaDrive every weekend. I was only allowed to play for 1 hour on Saturday's and Sunday's, so I never actually completed a single game I owned. :lol: It wasn't until many years later when I developed a passion for retro gaming that I went back and conquered those games that bested me so many times.

My MegaDrive served me well until early 1998, when I went to my friend's house and played Super Mario 64. If I :pottymouth: my pants seeing Altered Beast, you can only imagine my reaction to my first 3D gaming experience. I went home and begged my parents for a N64, but they told me I should start saving up all my birthday/pocket money and buy one myself. I worked for hours every weekend doing chores until I managed to save up a whole $100 (I was so proud haha), and then my parents surprised me by saying that because I'd worked so hard, they would foot the rest of the bill. :wub: In January 1999 I came home grinning from ear-to-ear with a boxed N64 in my hands, and a copy of Super Mario 64 balancing on top.

The N64 cemented my love for gaming, and unsurprisingly it remains my favourite gaming console.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Phantom
Veteran

January 10th, 2013, 1:47 pm #9

I Dont Remember How Old I Was But On My Birthday I Got An N64 And About 7 Games i think, And The First Game I ever Played Was Blast Corps. With My Two Sisters And My Brother

stinger9142
Guardian

January 10th, 2013, 3:09 pm #10

Great stories guys :)

dD, that is awesome your parents recognized your efforts and paid the rest for you!