Hey You, Pikachu!

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

November 22nd, 2016, 7:11 pm #1

What do you recommend for Hey You, Pikachu?

Total votes: 8
3(38%)
3(38%)
1(13%)
1(13%)

"Hey" ... "Hey" ... "Pikachu look" ... Where is he. Oh. "Wake up"

"Look" Stop looking at they sky and "LOOK!" Finally, time to cook this mushroom.

"Thunderbolt" NOOO Don't Eat It We Need That! "You Stupid Rat!"

:pika: PiiikaCHHHUUUU!!! *Gets Thunderbolted*

"Well it's evening. Time to go home. Did you enjoy your day with Pikachu?"

"No actually I didn't. I'd give today a 3/10!"

But seriously

This is a collection of 7 voice controlled minigames and some one-off story events. You point at things and tell Pikachu what to do. He only recognizes certain words and only listens to you about 70% of the time, making simple tasks into occasionally infuriating ones. It has great music but despite its shallow gameplay, it still has a meager amount of content.

3/10

MymeeN64
MymeeN64

January 20th, 2017, 7:18 am #2

Even though Pikachu may not listen all the time... boy! Is it exciting when he does! :P

You have to play it at least once to say that you did 8)

Playing out in the field can get frustrating trying to find what mischief he is up to. Need a break? Try the fishing levels. Pikachu is fixed in one spot which saves some of the hassle. I think they work well.

I have my original game/VMU from the good old days.... except for the darn plastic that holds the microphone on the controller. So now I have to hold it like a dummy ^_^
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

March 9th, 2017, 3:12 am #3

Sorry for a super late replay. Sometimes it's hard to tell when people comment on these reviews because there are so many of them. I don't have the plastic that holds the microphone either. In fact I'm not even sure what it looks like.

I'm playing the game again right now and I want you to know that I actually really like it. When I reviewed it I was taking into consideration that most people do not enjoy playing it. It's a really interesting game for its time and quite easy to control once you understand how you interact with everything, it's just most people find it frustrating and/or boring which I can understand. I think it's more interesting than it is fun. It was one of my very few childhood N64 games though so it's a happy game for me ^_^

MymeeN64
MymeeN64

March 9th, 2017, 1:22 pm #4

I wasn't expecting to many replies in the game reviews lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=hey+you ... pVD5A2-T5M:

Theres also a different style holder? I dont remember mine wrapping around like that one?
https://www.google.com/search?q=hey+you ... YjVKV5A9aM:

Hello japan, ill take that headset please :)
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

TofuJunky87
TofuJunky87

May 4th, 2017, 2:38 am #5

This game is great for one reason: it shows the capability of the N64 and how innovative Nintendo was at the time. Voice recognition?? No problem! I mean, the game itself is frustratingly elementary and doesn't have much fun in it, but the novelty is amazing. I still put it in from time to time just to remind myself how cool the N64 really was. I kinda wish more games used the VRU.
Current 64 Collection: Grey, Jungle, Fire, Ice, Smoke, Watermelon, Grape, Gold, JP Blue/Clear, Daiei Hawks
Current Game Count: 324
Current Controller Count: 32

:n64: 4ever

Piscean64

March 2nd, 2018, 9:16 pm #6

If you ever wondered what an actual broken game looked like, look to this game. The fact that it's a first party Pokemon game that comes with a unique peripheral in a giant cardboard box makes me consider this a cool collectible - but nothing more. This game is garbage.

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

March 2nd, 2018, 9:48 pm #7

Piscean64 wrote:If you ever wondered what an actual broken game looked like, look to this game. The fact that it's a first party Pokemon game that comes with a unique peripheral in a giant cardboard box makes me consider this a cool collectible - but nothing more. This game is garbage.
You've gotta open your mind to things like this. Voice recognition technology made huge strides in the 1990’s. Speech technology was then being implemented into medical and government jobs. In 1996 IBM released the first product capable of continuous speech (not requiring pauses between each word). It was called MedSpeak, and was used by radiologists to create electronic patient reports, which was faster than using dictation recorders to document notes. Sega and Nintendo were the first developers to test the waters of voice control, and from what i could tell Hey You Pikachu was the first game to be primarily controlled using specific voice commands.

Outside the novelty use of the microphone and the giddiness of playing with a cute Pikachu, I know the game isnt great. The game’s events are uncomplicated. Mastering the voice control can make the game frustrating. The childish fun of blowing into a microphone to spin a pinwheel was a newer novelty in 1998. It sold extremely well in Japan and America because, as the advertising shows, it was aimed at little kids like me when it first came out. It was so succesful that the Ambrella company still produces Pokemon spin-offs to this day and Nintendo reused the technology in games like Mario Party 6 and Nintendogs.

I know it has aged poorly even more than other N64 games due to its gimmick, and it could have more interesting events, but I don't like the reputation the game has gotten as an uncontrollable mess and one of the worst N64 games. I see it in a lot of youtube videos and random top 10 lists and I disagree completely. Having played it three times in the past 2 years, it has a slight learning curve, but functions perfectly fine with my voice. N64 has way way worse

No64DD
Elite

March 4th, 2018, 9:43 pm #8

Just seen this. Great review! X_D
A Secret star
lie here~