Hello from the UK

K55DOM
K55DOM

September 2nd, 2017, 8:47 pm #1

Hi all,

My name is Dominic, I'm 30 and live in the UK. I was clearing out some old boxes from my parents loft a few months ago and found my old N64 with a hand full of games, I plugged it in and it worked first time! Since then I've been hooked by nostalgia and tasked myself with collecting all the PAL games. Currently on 98/243. I'm looking forward to meeting like minded fans and collectors of all things N64.

Some help with navigating the forum would also be good, already struggling to find the menu/search function :facepalm:

Thanks
Dominic

K55DOM
K55DOM

September 3rd, 2017, 9:30 am #2

Now I've validated I've found the menu and search function! Woohoo

One thing I've not managed to find the answer too is how many pal games have different cover arts and is there a list anywhere? Virtual Chess 64 is one of the games next on my list but I have seen two different covers both PAL.. why and how many other games have this?

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/8525/khbr7M.jpg

Milage007
Elite

September 3rd, 2017, 2:38 pm #3

Welcome to the forum mate! Where abouts in the UK are you from? I'm from near Birmingham myself. Always good to see new UK members as it has always felt to me there is a bit more of a skew towards the US, certainly active members wise.

:yeah:

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

K55DOM
K55DOM

September 3rd, 2017, 4:14 pm #4

Thanks for the warm welcome Milage007. I live near Leeds up in Yorkshire, I guess us brits need to stick together then haha

buddy1983
Elite

September 4th, 2017, 12:14 pm #5

Welcome, I'm also from the UK (hampshire). defiantly need more Uk based on here :)
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

stinger9142
Guardian

September 4th, 2017, 9:20 pm #6

Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. Glad to have you! :yeah:

danilochka
danilochka

September 5th, 2017, 7:01 pm #7

Welcome to the forum mate, that's an impressive number of games you've managed to rack up so far. :yeah:

To answer your question, there are a lot of box variations throughout the PAL regions. In fact, most games will have some minor difference from country to country, however I presume you're only interested in the games with noticeably different front covers.

First of all, you asked why, well usually the boxart of game is changed just to try and help it sell better in another country. Take FIFA 98 for example, the UK version has David Beckham on the cover, whereas France, Spain, Germany and Italy all feature players from their respective countries instead. The same thing was done with FIFA 99 (minus Italy), but not FIFA 64.

Several of PAL releases have 2 boxart variants across Europe, like with Vitual Chess 64.
- Roadsters features a yellow car version in the UK (and Scandinavia) and a red car for the rest of Europe.
- International Superstar Soccer 98 has one version with Paul Ince, and another without.
- For some reason, Fighters Destiny in France uses the North American box art.
- The German version of Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey has a different (god awful) artwork as it was released by Nintendo themselves over there.

Then you have the more famous and sort after exmaples of games with significant variants:
- HSV Adventure Racing! is an Austrailian version of Beetle Adventure Racing!
- Michael Owen's World League Soccer 2000 was released as Telefoot Soccer 2000 in France and as RTL World League Soccer 2000 in Germany.
- Racing Simulation: Monaco Grand Prix was released as Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2 in France and as Racing Simulation 2 in Germany.
- Knockout Kings 2000 was released as Box Champions 2000 in Germany.
- Yannick Noah All Star Tennis '99 is the French version of All Star Tennis '99.

As well as this, many others games use the same artwork but a different title across PAL regions. Such as Top Gear Rally 2 being renamed to TG Rally 2 in the UK due to the BBC filing a trademark lawsuit. An old list of all these variants can be found here:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... &t=7336376

There's lots more examples of minor changes, such as 57 Australian games using the USA-style red panel box design, which isn't used at all in Europe, but I don't want to make this too overwhelming. A few of those games like Banjo-Tooie do feature different box artwork or cartridge labels and are listed in the first link.