Hello everyone!

Franklint
Established Member
Franklint
Established Member

12:33 AM - Jan 09, 2007 #1

Hi guys.

I was led to this forum through a GameFAQs discussion regarding the modding of a N64 to play all NTSC games.

I've been on the lookout for other N64 enthusiasts to discuss with, but I never found anything.

Until now.

Anyway, you all seem really really nice (especially compared to some of the forums on the internet), so I hope to make some good friends. For some reason my personality seems to annoy people, so if you find me annoying, please tell me and I'll try to change what I'm doing.

Just on a previous note, I am in Australia, and am wondering if there is an easy way to play NTSC games on my PAL N64. This was talked about before, but in reverse.

Thanks guys. :-)

Cheers,
Franklint

1:21 AM - Jan 09, 2007 #2

Welcome! :)

Franklint
Established Member
Franklint
Established Member

3:23 AM - Jan 09, 2007 #3

Cheers!

Mop it up
Guardian

4:17 AM - Jan 09, 2007 #4

Hooray Newbies!

Welcome to our forum! If you haven't done so already, be sure to read the rules... unless of course you joined the forum only to cause trouble. ;)

BTW, is your GameFAQs name different than what you registered here? I'm just wondering if I've seen you there before (mine's the same there as it is here).

Franklint
Established Member
Franklint
Established Member

5:02 AM - Jan 09, 2007 #5

Yes, I'm registered as Franklint over there as well, I think. However, my post count would probably be something like 0 or 1 or something. I don't really feel like contributing to conversations there much, as I can usually get my information just by looking at what's been said already.

Also, I kind of consider GameFAQS to be a more close-knit community, and less accepting of new members. I could be wrong there though.

You probably haven't seen me.

Thanks for the welcomes!!

Cheers,
Franklint

stinger9142
Guardian

5:48 AM - Jan 09, 2007 #6

hello, and welcome to the forum.

i too found this place through gamefaqs.
it is a very friendly place. quite uncommon these days....

Deleted User
Deleted User

11:59 AM - Jan 09, 2007 #7

Hi Franklint, hope you like it here. :D

I can answer your question as to how to play NTSC games on a PAL console, as I'm a PAL gamer myself. Unfortunately there's no way to mod a N64 to output the different regions signal so the best thing to do is to buy a converter cartridge. There's a few different converter cartridges out there, but the best one is called a N64 Passport Plus III:

This is the converter cart that's compatible with the most N64 games and it's pretty much the only one that will work with later N64 games like Sin and Punishment. You can find the Pasport Plus on ebay or buy one new from importers like:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k6-49-en-70-2q.html

The cart itself is a bit of a pain to use with some games though. It doesn't have any internal memory which means that if you want to play a game which doesn't have the codes pre-installed on the Passport Plus then you'll need to enter it each time you want to play. :(

In order to play NTSC games on a PAL console with the N64 passport you need to insert two cartridges; one on top (the cart you wish to play) and one into the back (a cart from the region you wish to display in). The cart that goes into the back is refererred to as the "boot cart". Any N64 games cartridge will work, but it's best to avoid using any that saves on the cart itself, as the passport has been known to wipe the saves on the boot cart accidentally. This isn't a huge problem, all you need to do is use a game that needs a controller pak/N64 memory card to save. The guide on GameFAQs pretty much covers all the do's and don'ts of the N64 Passport Plus. It can be found here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/game/916387.html

If you're thinking about importing a few games it might be worthwhile to invest in a NTSC (US or JPN) N64. Most newer PAL TV's (those that are less than five years old) can display a NTSC signal. Power isn't a problem either as you can simply switch the power pak of a NTSC console with one from your own region. Just now I'm using a JPN N64 with a UK power pak! This doesn't damage the N64 in any way as the power paks are interchangeable and will work with any N64.

If you're interested in a NTSC N64 you could check ebay or buy one new from play-asia (where I got mine :D ):

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-5-4 ... -1crv.html
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-5-4 ... -1crw.html

If you have any questions just ask here. :)

StYoung
Veteran

3:33 PM - Jan 09, 2007 #8

Franklint wrote: Also, I kind of consider GameFAQS to be a more close-knit community, and less accepting of new members. I could be wrong there though.
I wouldn't really say that, just because theres so many members of GayFAGs. There are a few boards I visit that are really close knit, but they are the contributor boards so thats to be expected.

And I was just kidding, I love GameFAQs. My name there is StYoung as well, but I don't post on the N64 board at all. Right now I'm spending most of my forum time here or on the Xbox 360 NCAA 07 forum at GFaqs.

I would consider this community to be very close knit. It's just that we're very accepting of new members. However we share a lot of jokes and things that most forums probably don't have because we're pretty close I guess. Theres not really that many members, and even less that post all that much, but the ones that do are all really great people as far as I can tell. Except for Ragedy. :P
dagoss,Nov 17 2007 wrote: OMG, this is the best topic ever made.? I nominate Steve for God!

12:38 AM - Jan 10, 2007 #9

Franklint wrote:I've been on the lookout for other N64 enthusiasts to discuss with, but I never found anything.
We're glad to have you here! :)

Franklint
Established Member
Franklint
Established Member

5:28 AM - Jan 12, 2007 #10

Thanks again everyone!

Especially to alxbly for that awesome info on the converter cartridges. I shall look into options!

Cheers,
Franklint