No64DD
Elite

February 25th, 2016, 12:32 am #61

incoming!

Brazilian Atomic Purple

Brazilian Green

Brazilian Blue

Here are even more pics of the lengths that Brazilian branding went!

Here is the elusive ISS64 1998 bundle gold controller. This pic reminds me that Brazil also had Gold SNES controllers. They are a thing of beauty.

Atomic Purple

Even the Controller Paks weren't forgotten!

I have, and will have more to sort through at the moment and will add when needed. I can't thank Nillew enough!! :n64:

enjoy!
A Secret star
lie here~

No64DD
Elite

February 26th, 2016, 9:29 pm #62

Anis - Multi Sabores Nintendo/Gradiente Brazillian N64 controller.

You can still see MADE IN JAPAN in the edge of the picture. :yeah:
A Secret star
lie here~

danilochka
danilochka

March 2nd, 2016, 4:23 pm #63

So as you may know I'm currently researching all the different packaging variations for N64 controllers around the world. If you look on the back of the boxes it will state in the small print which market it was made for, this is vital for distinguishing between USA and Australian releases for example. Right next to this is a piece of information I've been ignoring for years, it will say MADE IN CHINA in the vast majority of cases, however, they are a few instances I've found where it says they are actually MADE IN JAPAN!

Let's start with the Japanese market. There were 3 types of box designs relevant to this topic that were used for the 6 solid controllers - Black, Blue, Gray, Green, Red and Yellow. The first example simply gives a copyright date of 1996:

These were very easy to source out. The side of these boxes have a square around the n-cube ( :n64: ) as shown in Dark Link's collection on the first page of this thread. This iteration of the box design was the one used for Black & Gray (Mario Kart 64) Controller. They may, or may not be Made in Japan.

The second type of box makes some small tweaks to the design, gone is the n-cube border on the side, and added on the back is a line which states where the controller was made and the packaging printed. Again, I've easily found all 6 of these MADE IN CHINA variants:

The third type of box is where things get interesting, these are exactly the same as the second type however the box clearly states the controller is MADE IN JAPAN. These are very hard to source, I've only managed to find the Red controller so far, but I believe this might be where Dark Link's Black MIJ originates from:

The style of boxes changes after this for the rest of the Japanese controllers, but the information on the back comes in the same three types:

Copyright Date Only.
Hello Mac
Geoffrey
Clear Blue
Clear Red
Pikachu Blue & Yellow
Pikachu Orange & Yellow

MADE IN CHINA.
Gold (Gold Box)
Gold (White Box)
Clear Purple
Midnight Blue
Clear Black
Clear Gray (Jusco)

MADE IN JAPAN.
Clear Orange & Clear Black (Daiei Hawks)

Which brings me to the North America market. As stated before, the vast majority of releases are MADE IN CHINA, however I have found some examples of the 6 solid controllers with MADE IN JAPAN on the back of the box:

My suspicions, are that at least some of the first wave of controllers were MIJ. These are pretty hard to come across, so far I've managed to confirm Black, Gray and Red. I'm also 80% sure of Green but the only image I've found was too out of focus to be certain.

It seems that Australia also got early MADE IN JAPAN releases for the 6 solid controllers as well. Although I've only been able to confirm the Red controller at this stage:

This is not the case however for Europe as I've yet to come a single MIJ box variant. So why the discrepancy? Well the PAL region is handled by two branches; Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of Australia. I know that NOE held back the 5 colour controllers until Mario Kart 64's release, so perhaps in Australia all 6 solid colours were available at launch (1st March 1997).

In summary, the 6 solid colour controllers (when sold separately) have limited MADE IN JAPAN variants in Japan, North America and Australia, where after a certain date they were changed to be MADE IN CHINA. In Brazil they were always MADE IN JAPAN and in the Europe they were always MADE IN CHINA.

No64DD
Elite

March 2nd, 2016, 4:49 pm #64

:eh:

You're right, the MK64 bundle controller box says MADE IN JAPAN!

Does that mean that what any box says matches what the controller says?

I need to go lay down.
Great find Danilochka!! :yeah:

A Secret star
lie here~

danilochka
danilochka

March 2nd, 2016, 5:13 pm #65

I'm not saying it's 100% what it says on the box matches with what it says on the controller, but they seem to match up with what we know already so it's certainly worth exploring further.

The list I made was for the controllers boxes when sold separately, now it would seem bundles, like Mario Kart 64 are a different kettle of fish. For example all console boxes tend to say Made In Japan, but can contain Made In China controllers.

Hopefully our great community can help confirm these and fill in the gaps, and in the meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for more.

No64DD
Elite

March 3rd, 2016, 5:00 pm #66

Another gem from my Brazilian expedition.

@Danilochka, under your MADE IN CHINA list above, it says:

GOLD(Toys R Us)

which controller are you referring to?

A Secret star
lie here~

danilochka
danilochka

March 4th, 2016, 12:37 am #67

In Japan there were two different boxes for the Gold controller; one gold box and one white box with gold lettering. The product code for the gold box is C/NUS-A-CD-JPN-T where as the white box is C/NUS-A-CD-JPN-C. I assume the -T stands for Toys R Us, but I could be wrong as I've no idea what the -C represents.

I'll edit my post to make it less confusing.

No64DD
Elite

March 4th, 2016, 1:20 am #68

That's what i thought you meant, but i was just making sure. :yeah:

It was something that i've been wondering for a while. Both GOLD and WHITE box versions of the JPN Gold controller are MADE IN CHINA.
Thanks for clarifying.

A Secret star
lie here~

wiregrind

March 23rd, 2016, 7:47 pm #69

No64DD wrote:Yes that is correct Bam.
It should be safe to say that all NTSC N64 controllers are MADE IN CHINA. :yeah:
I checked my controllers and most were made in china... Yet one of them was "made in Japan" :phear:

Only difference I noticed was it had an orange rubber below the R, A, B, and C buttons instead of the grey one of my purple transparent controller, but maybe that's a difference between opaque and transparent controllers and has nothing to do with being it made in japan :P
Consoles and TVs here are all NTSC, but I bought this controller used, from some local videogame store that sold retro stuff, so who knows if this one travelled all the way from Europe.

Matt
Elite

March 25th, 2016, 12:50 am #70

Ice Blue (clear blue top, transparent colourless bottom) controller - PAL - no kludge - Made in China