No64DD
Elite

February 6th, 2016, 11:36 pm #21

That's true Bam. :yeah:

Since this would be a PAL controller, it would be important to get the "Kludge" in frame as well.
That thing connected to the controller wire.
A Secret star
lie here~

cell
cell

February 7th, 2016, 1:22 am #22

Ok. Here is the standard grey controller, that came in box, with my release day Pal N64.
I have placed the ferrite "Kludge" in frame in both pictures (hope they come out ok. If not, I can try again in natural light)
Note, it is the old/orig type Pal Kludge, which had a soft rubber-like plastic around the ferrite (later ferrite parts were encased in a one piece, light plastic affair, which looked nice but are quite distinct from what is shown my photos)

It occurs to me, that there is no way to both show a close-up of the manufacture region and to show that the kludge on the cable is actually connected to the same controller, via photos.
That would take a hi def video.
Anyway, hope this is of assistance to you, No64DD.

edit: Thanks Bamboozled. Fixed now, I hope.

Bamboozled
Veteran

February 7th, 2016, 1:59 am #23

Here are his pictures, they were written improperly.

No64DD
Elite

February 7th, 2016, 2:32 am #24

Thanks again Bamboozled. He is good!

And thank you- cell :D

These are fantastic developments you've brought to this thread. The pictures are perfect! I will add this controller with great anticipation. We now have proof that your PAL Grey release controller is unique, and it represents something more- Not only are we getting to uncover these MIJ controller's origins, but basically, we are also getting to carbon-date them!
This is an exciting find. You should be proud.
:n64:

@cell, what PAL region are you from? :rollseyes:
A Secret star
lie here~

cell
cell

February 7th, 2016, 3:28 am #25

No64DD wrote:Thanks again Bamboozled. He is good!

And thank you- cell :D

These are fantastic developments you've brought to this thread. The pictures are perfect! I will add this controller with great anticipation. We now have proof that your PAL Grey release controller is unique, and it represents something more- Not only are we getting to uncover these MIJ controller's origins, but basically, we are also getting to carbon-date them!
This is an exciting find. You should be proud.

@cell, what PAL region are you from? :rollseyes:
PAL region Ireland, No64DD.

I can confirm the "texture" on the Mario Kart controller.
Did my pictured grey controller have the same "texture"?
I honestly can not remember and two decades later, the texture has been worn with use (I still use it to this day, for Wave Race 64, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing :) )
I know for sure that It "felt" different to my other controllers.

Also, I have found that with both of my made MIJ controllers, the official rumble pack and official controller pack have a more secure/tighter fit. Anybody else notice this?

No64DD
Elite

February 7th, 2016, 3:52 am #26

Well, Top ó the mornin' to ya sir!

I've added that detail to your controller's description. It could possibly be of importance later on.
I believe you did capture it on your pic(s), but it is still something one almost has to see and feel for theirself. :yeah:

Also, my Red NMI controller does the same "death grip" thing you speak of!
I almost feel guilty putting anything in it. :eh:
Wow.

A Secret star
lie here~

bluedogrulez
Guardian

February 9th, 2016, 10:03 pm #27

I am enjoying this topic No64DD! Thought I might contribute something.

My LodgeNet N64 gamecube-style controller hails from CHINA:

This is somewhat surprising b/c I believe these were manufactured by Hori (stick style and "H" printed on board). Hori is a Japanese company and it made my N64 Mini controller (ice blue/white) at home in the land of the rising sun:
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

No64DD
Elite

February 9th, 2016, 11:44 pm #28

Thanks Bluedog! Enjoyable indeed.

Lodgenet™... good idea!
I decided to check my Nintendo 64-style Lodgenet controller. I consider it the (1st wave) until they wisely upgraded them. These have a label instead, although it feels like it has the same imprinted plastic wording underneath. :eh:
But again, also MADE IN CHINA.

I know there has been thorough documentation on these controller(s), and on this site thanks to members like BDR and sanni, but with the N64-style version- not as often.

You brought up a good point about HORI™, which i consider a seal of quality as good or if not better than Nintendo™…
Upon closer look, the board inside is also made by HORI, and a standard N64 joystick housing, with the exception of having a black base.

We can surmise that these findings further the addage that basically every NTSC release is/was MADE IN CHINA.
However, it is mysterious how items using HORI components in both examples should've been MADE IN JAPAN. I've always said HORI is a company of many mysteries, and i still stand by it! ;)

This thread goes to show how one never knows where it wants to go, and what it wants to show us. Once again, i would not have even thought to check Lodgenet.
Who knows whats next!

Thanks again
A Secret star
lie here~

No64DD
Elite

February 10th, 2016, 1:30 am #29

Just noticed:

Lodgenet N64 controller with GC stlye HORI joystick- Model# LN6402
Lodgenet N64 controller with standard N64 joystick- Model# LN6400

A Secret star
lie here~

danilochka
danilochka

February 10th, 2016, 2:19 pm #30

I figured I could help chip in from a PAL perspective.

I also have a made in JAPAN grey controller, which I got with my near launch console in the UK - ~June 1997.

On the side of the console box it states that the 5 coloured controllers will be made separately available in the second-half of 1997. This implies that the grey controller was available to buy individually from launch (1st March 1997) and my assumuption is that the others were released the same day as Mario Kart 64 (13th June 1997) tho I've yet to find confirmation of that.

As you know, the key difference with the European controllers is the ferrite bead, or kludge as we like to call it here. Initally they were sold coated in rubber, before a second version was released with just the plastic housing, before finally removing it all together.

My launch grey controller has the rubber coating, and I have seen examples of all 5 solid coloured controllers with the rubber coating too. Sadly I don't own any of these versions, so it is possible that they were also made in Japan, but I have extensively researched the back of their boxes and they always state that they were made in China.

I got a red controller for Christmas 1997 (box code C/NUS-A-CR-UKV-1) and it was just the plastic housing, meaning that the change happened early on. Both the controller itself and the back of the box state that it was made in CHINA. As a side note, just above this the controller is referred to as Model No. : NUS-005A (box only), however this only seems to apply to the plastic kludge version as the other 2 are both referred to as Model No. : NUS-005 in my experince.