danilochka
danilochka

January 7th, 2017, 12:41 am #131

Yeah you have the correct instructions buddy :yeah:

In Japan, no matter what colour the controller is, the code will always match the grey controller, for some reason.
NUS-A-CG-JPN (G976335)

These were later replaced with an updated leaflet:
NUS-A-CG-JPN-1 (No G number)

And updated once more for the later releases:
NUS-A-CG-JPN-2 (No G number)

nintendo143

January 7th, 2017, 9:35 am #132

Dani, so do you think my the controller belongs to the box?

nintendo143

January 18th, 2017, 5:18 am #133

Dani, you still alive? Also, I found one on eBay if anyone wants to get their hands on one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/292002481341

gaavoid
gaavoid

February 9th, 2017, 12:19 am #134

LinusHofmann wrote:
No64DD wrote:I'm following what you're saying.
Is this what you mean by diagonal notches ?
Yep. Notice how the dust accumulates in there more than normal. It's like the notches/corners are slightly deeper so the stick doesn't bottom out as much. Even though this one is quite heavily worn.

And where the top two diagonal corners meet the smooth surrounding of the case that's where the dent in the molding is.
Hi, I have two controllers with this style joystick. Both are made in China Japanese greys that I imported from Japan last year. However I moved one over to a black PAL controller (I harvested one for parts).
The actual bezel is a different shape from what I can tell, not just the top left and right indents, so I believe these earlier controllers are just from a different mould rather than it being a production error. I've taken photos comparing the shapes of them to the sticks on an Ice blue controller. Will upload tomorrow.

gaavoid
gaavoid

February 9th, 2017, 9:17 pm #135

Difficult to tell by photos but you should be able to see some differences between most controllers (I've used a Japanese Ice blue for comparison because it was nearby). I've tried to get the angles the same. You should be able to tell that these (presumably) earlier joystick modules have a slightly differently shaped bezel. Raised in some parts and deeper in others. The longer you look at the photos the differences become a little clearer than at first glance.

Stick 1 - Grey Japanese - Made in China:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Stick 2 - From grey Japanese - Made in China (now in black PAL MIC):
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Stick 1+2 in comparison (profile) to Japanese Ice blue (MIC):
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Stick 1 + Ice blue with flash to try to pick up better detail:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Close ups of stick 1 + Ice blue from bottom:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Close ups of stick 1 + Ice blue from top:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
again with flash:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

No64DD
Elite

February 9th, 2017, 9:43 pm #136

Excellent work Gaavoid!!

I can see the differences, but it's almost as hard to explain as well.
These "dimpled" thumbsticks are the result of a quick change to the mold.
If you look at the examples of the "pre release" thumbstick on Assembler, it would be easy to modify.
It only affects the top corners of the thumbstick.

For whatever reason, the 'new' mold obviously wasn't perfect at first!

This is only my opinion, but it is my best opinion.
A Secret star
lie here~

gaavoid
gaavoid

February 9th, 2017, 10:39 pm #137

There's an aspect I haven't captured too well but looking at it now from the bottom (centre prong/handle); the left and right parts of the bezel (between the bottom left and bottom right indents and the left and right indents) are either raised slightly higher or the bottom left and right indents are also deeper like the top left and right indents.
Whatever the reason for this change these 2 particular sticks have held up well. Both still feel fairly decent and not much wobble even though both of the controllers look pretty well used.

No64DD
Elite

February 9th, 2017, 11:58 pm #138

I understand what you are saying.

First, i'd like to better illustrate my point:

Can we agree that this is the reason for the dimpled thumbsticks in the very early releases?
If you look above the red arrow, that area also looks higher than usual, which also lends itself to the point that Gaavoid is making.

There was a lot of area to work with when it came to reshaping whatever mold they used to make the early thumbstick housings, that was most likely the same mold used for the thumbstick above, just modified.

A Secret star
lie here~

gaavoid
gaavoid

February 10th, 2017, 11:20 am #139

Yeah, I would think that these dimpled sticks would be early production (probably all first :cussfit: Japan releases), and the next design after those proto sticks.
The "newer" shaped ones would be more mass produced after the initial run.

No64DD
Elite

June 10th, 2017, 6:07 pm #140

Thanks to DarkLink, we have another addition to the MADE IN JAPAN story.

The japanese Mario Kart 64 competition Gold Nintendo 64 controller.

Along with the Kick Asphault 500 competition here, they are the only gold controllers that are MADE IN JAPAN. Fantastic!

The naked box is just as cool too!
Thanks dude. :yeah:
A Secret star
lie here~