No64DD
Elite

February 2nd, 2016, 7:34 am #11

Oooh baby!! :wub:

If you could take some well focused angled pics showing each of your examples, that would be great!
If not, i still vouch for this man and his controllers. We go back quite a way my friend! Thank you.

to be continued.
A Secret star
lie here~

Cabanon
Elite

February 3rd, 2016, 4:59 am #12

I have not forgot you, I will try to take a picture of my gold mk64 contest tomorrow.

No64DD
Elite

February 3rd, 2016, 5:53 am #13

I'm officially excited!

If i am correct, Cabanon's MK64 Gold controller completely breaks down all laws of manufacturing tradition!

But, needless to say, pictures do help in this effort.
Bring it on!
A Secret star
lie here~

DarkLink
DarkLink

February 3rd, 2016, 9:10 pm #14

This is just a first observation. I will get arround to make pics of all of my controllers eventually, I just don't really have time at the moment. Right of the bat I can almost certainly say that our observation "Made in China" or "Made in Japan" will not be completely constant.

I am almost 100% sure that all the Geoffreys, Hello Macs, E3's etc. out there are all "Made in Japan"
But with the solid controllers I can imagine that they were made in Japan at first and production then moved to China. Maybe for global production pruposes or something?

The reason I'm making this claim is the following:

5 Controllers are "Made in China" Only the black one is "Made in Japan"
If it had been the grey one I would say "Okay it came first, of course all the other 5 colors are "Made in China" because they came later" BUT: It's the black one.

Also look at the sides of th boxes. The red and yellow are promoting the Clear Red/White, Blue/White and the two Pokemon Controllers already. The others not. There is only one possible reason for this, and that is that the colored solid variations have different time releases, otherwise promotion would be on all of them (except gray maybe).

So my conclusion is that we will most likely find "Made in China" and "Made in Japan" in the Japanese Solids. In the USA und EU we will probably only find "Made in China" because they came so much later.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

No64DD
Elite

February 3rd, 2016, 11:02 pm #15

Wow!!
I would not have expected any of the JPN solids to be MADE IN JAPAN. It's ironic.
This is quite a mindbender!
Even the Green box is the only one to use the "square" Nintendo 64 logo. :eh:
Originally, i thought that this process would deconstruct the efforts Nintendo took to avoid others from copying their "formula". And of course, Nintendo is not making it as easy as i'd like. :P

You make some great points Darklink. Thanks for all the info!

:n64:
A Secret star
lie here~

No64DD
Elite

February 4th, 2016, 1:09 am #16

@Darklink,
i just noticed that the placement of the controller images are all different from each other on the Green, Blue, Black, and Grey boxes!

Whew!!
A Secret star
lie here~

DarkLink
DarkLink

February 5th, 2016, 12:15 am #17

well observed :) Hope this will not spawn me into collecting all of the variations :D
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

cell
cell

February 6th, 2016, 7:33 pm #18

Interesting. Curious to to see where this goes.

I have two "made in Japan" N64 controllers. One is the black top/grey bottom controller packaged with the Mario Kart ntsc-J release.
The other might be more relevant. It is a standard grey pad that came with my, release day, Pal-N64. It has the the identical imprint to the "made in Japan" controllers pictured here.
I believe the "release day" time frame may be noteworthy, as the spare controllers that I purchased soon after release day (also standard grey Pal controllers) were marked "made in China".

On a more subjective note: I have a number of various official N64 controllers but early on one became my "number 1".
Yup, its the made in Japan, release day grey. This was before I ever realised the differing countries of manufacture.
This controller still has the most solid feel of all my controllers, with the Mario Kart black and grey (also "made in Japan", as pointed out earlier) being a very close second.

Coincidence? Merely subjective?

No64DD
Elite

February 6th, 2016, 10:30 pm #19

Thanks Cell!
And welcome aboard.

You bring very interesting news to us, and for you. :yeah:

I believe your backstory on your PAL Grey controller. Please take a photo like the examples above so that we may add it to this list. I've found that natural light and an Auto-Focus camera works best.

It's also interesting that you prefer your 2 MIJ controllers over the others you own...
I noticed that my MK64 Black/Grey controller has a different feel and "texture" on the bottom half!
Food for thought. ;)
A Secret star
lie here~

Bamboozled
Veteran

February 6th, 2016, 11:17 pm #20

No64DD wrote:I've found that natural light and an Auto-Focus camera works best.
I've found that my iPhone gives amazing quality. It's what every single one of my pictures come from. :P