stevesabuyer

October 23rd, 2013, 9:24 pm #21

I have the first gold controller won from march 1997. Everything,including postmarked June 17 1997 box, congrads winning card, plastic bag stamped N1, all packing materials. Unused controller I opened box looked at it and put away. I have a picture posted in nintenage.com .... do I really have to open up the controller for the #s on components or a possible n1 symbol inside to verify the date of manufacture? Am I really the only person who saved everything shipped with and in the box postmarked June 17 1997 from Nintendo. Cont,contacts card,bag,box,packing material. I am getting offers, I justddon't know what its worth....gold n64 controller won from Mario kart 64 Nintendo power cup contest in march of 97? Anyone can help?

ddr2nite
Veteran

October 23rd, 2013, 10:14 pm #22

stevesabuyer wrote:I have the first gold controller won from march 1997. Everything,including postmarked June 17 1997 box, congrads winning card, plastic bag stamped N1, all packing materials. Unused controller I opened box looked at it and put away. I have a picture posted in nintenage.com ....
Can you share with us where you have the picture posted? I searched for your username on NintendoAge but it didn't come up.
Click here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

stevesabuyer

October 24th, 2013, 1:48 am #23

Here's a pic of postmarked box from Nintendo Redmond w.a., one side of congratulations card other side has a mariokart64 picture, the controller, and part on n1 stamped bag. I've been advised not to post too much detail or everything sent with my march 1997 non mag contest winning gold controller because apparently the controller looks same as other later produced gold cont. And. Copy n paste forgers may try and sell off a toys r us.controller. I promise you I have everything sent in box and postmarked June in 1997 from Nintendo I've been offered more than a few hundred dollars for it. But am holding someone may be able to give me a true kinda appraisal value on what's seems to be a one of a kind and a first with keeping everything. TY, Steven at. sdidomi804@AOL.com
IMG_20131018_182225.jpg
IMG_20131018_181817.jpg
IMG_20131018_182225.jpg
IMG_20131018_181817.jpg

Cabanon
Elite

October 24th, 2013, 1:40 pm #24

I have that controller too with the Winning card but the original owner didnt kept the shipping box & plastic bag.

man you're lucky to have that. i'd buy it right away to replace mine but cash is low and priority are elsewhere right now

EDIT: I paid mine 57$ shipping included via auction on ebay (member wanted a fair chance to anyone so he auctioned it instead of selling it here). i'd say a 100$ would be a fair value. you really need someone that absolutely WANT that specific kind of controller otherwise it's just another gold controller for them. I wanted it because the contest was epic back then and the lap time posted were truly insane (at leats, that's what I though) but because the rules where I live (Quebec) are so stiff about contest from elsewhere, I wasnt allowed to even participate. so yeah when I saw it last year, I had to jump it and win it.

stevesabuyer

October 29th, 2013, 2:57 am #25

alxbly wrote:
Ganondorf wrote:is there a way we can tell the difference between the first 1000 and later models of the gold controller??
First post in the topic:
ddr2nite wrote:There probably is no way to identify any of the 1000 gold controllers that were given out as part of this contest unless someone had the original shipping box from Nintendo + contest winning letter (if there is such a thing).
:coffee:
Open it up Nintendo says the numbers on the circuit board don't lie. The first 1000 Can be identified by the component serial numbers inside the controllers, and there not sure if even 1000 were ever shipped out.because of controversy over glitch jumping over wall. Once I'm assured from Nintendo I can get an authenticity letter from them. I will carefully open mine up and read off numbers and symbols to them. But 2 phones calls and no one assures me they can send a letter like that... why not ? I have the box they sent me and everything with it.postmarked in June 1997.... lol what I gott a million dollar controller dated before some v.p. or pres. Or somebody there. For a gold painted controller....

Cabanon
Elite

October 29th, 2013, 4:09 am #26

i'll check mine (circuit board) if I ever get some free time.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

October 29th, 2013, 6:19 pm #27

@stevesabuyer: Very cool you have an original Gold. Would love to hear more about your controller (including any internal photos depicting the serial number your describe!), but please try to make your posts clear for geezers like me and for our international audience (who may need to rely on translator programs to an extent).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

DarkLink
DarkLink

June 10th, 2017, 5:33 am #28

Hi Community!

Long time bump to this topic. I just came back from a long travel and a full mailbox was expecting me :D
So I thought i can celebrate my returning to the collecting world with an interesting post.
One of the items was the first gold controller from the Mario Kart Competition in Japan.

I don't actually know if the Japanese, American or EU contests happened first, I figure they were all arround the same time but likely the Japanese held them first. However the controller is kind of interersting. (As a reminder these were available before the retail gold controllers were available) To my surprise, unlike other gold controllers these were still made in Japan and not in China.

Also interesting is the Box Design because it is the same design all the controllers after the solids came in (the 6 solid Japan Controllers had a diffrent box design). This one is just plain box coloured but it has the same dimensions and Inlay like the later printed boxes already. Anyway, enjoy the pics guys.

Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

Houghton0609
Houghton0609

June 10th, 2017, 6:43 am #29

Thank you for sharing fred, love it!

Milage007
Elite

June 10th, 2017, 6:58 am #30

Awesome pickup DL! Nice piece of history there for the collection.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?