mujcc
mujcc

3:38 PM - Oct 18, 2011 #11

Cabanon wrote:s**t. and i had a lowest time while the contest was running lol ! but i'm :pottymouth: Quebec and i can't participate in like 99.9% of every contest run in the world. :cussfit: f**king stupid place.

any idea if the buyer still have it ?
Not sure what you mean buddy, if you mean - do I still have it? Yes, but probably not for very long.

As for shortcuts, I found out after the fact about jumping the wall shortcut. Don't exactly remember why I used Toad as my racer, as I hardly ever used him/her/it.

Edit - Oh, sorry. My post makes it seem like I already sold the controller, no I still have it but am in the process of selling it. I just came upon this website after I listed it on ebay.

D.J Cat
Veteran

2:56 PM - Oct 19, 2011 #12

In Australia I remember they advertised it as a gold medal sort of deal cause we are a fairly sports mad nation and it was leading to the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
Michael Klim appeared on the adds for memory, an Aussie swimmer who had won gold. And Nintendo sponsored him.
One of my buddies has one, although it doesnt look so gold these days hahaha. :o :D

mujcc
mujcc

4:08 PM - Oct 21, 2011 #13

mujcc wrote:
Cabanon wrote:s**t. and i had a lowest time while the contest was running lol ! but i'm :pottymouth: Quebec and i can't participate in like 99.9% of every contest run in the world. :cussfit: f**king stupid place.

any idea if the buyer still have it ?
Not sure what you mean buddy, if you mean - do I still have it? Yes, but probably not for very long.

As for shortcuts, I found out after the fact about jumping the wall shortcut. Don't exactly remember why I used Toad as my racer, as I hardly ever used him/her/it.

Edit - Oh, sorry. My post makes it seem like I already sold the controller, no I still have it but am in the process of selling it. I just came upon this website after I listed it on ebay.
That's pretty cool DJ Cat.

Also, in regard to the Mario Kart Gold Controller, been digging a little bit and found this http://tompreston.deviantart.com/art/SY ... -204707881 - the guy also has a Gold Controller he won from Mario Kart (he drew a picture of it and then describes how he won the controller). Just look below in his comments, but this is what he says

"I hate deadlines. They have a curious way of eluding me for the longest time and then creeping up and pouncing on me when I least expect it...

EDIT: Yeah I'm playing the N64. It's really not THAT old is it? I mean, if I wanted to I could've made it an Atari 2600 controller. I have ALL my video game systems hooked up to my TV and I play them regularly. Don't get me wrong, the Wii's virtual console is awesome and allows me to play some games which I don't own, but there's nothing quite like playing the original games on the original consoles.

Also, fun fact: It's kinda hard to tell because I had a very difficult time getting the color right, but I'm playing with my special gold N64 controller that I won in a Nintendo Power Mario Kart 64 contest. It involved having to beat Mario's Circuit in under a minute or something insane, and after a lot of trial and error I did it, took a Polaroid, sent it in and never expected to hear about it again. Then one day several months later I got a mysterious package and when I opened it it was the gold N64 controller with a picture of Mario saying "congratulations!"

I loved that controller. Too bad it's uniqueness was eliminated when they started selling gold controllers to promote Goldeneye...

Why the hell am I writing all this?"

Heinrold
Heinrold

5:28 PM - Oct 21, 2011 #14

nice story, though the guy seems to be a bit confused ^^

Cabanon
Elite

3:47 AM - Oct 22, 2011 #15

anyone from Canada been able to bid on this controller ? even tho mujcc added Canada, i cant even bid on it.

EDIT: if someone from the US (WHO HAS NO INTENTION ON BIDDING ON IT) could help me out getting this. that'd be very nice. i'd gladly pay a small amount for helping me. contact me via PM please.

KeFkA666
KeFkA666

1:33 AM - Jun 08, 2012 #16

Well this is going to be a major bump, but i just came across this post and yes i actually own one of these controllers. I won it by getting a time and jumping over the brick wall, it took me forever. I am actually looking at my controller as i type this i have it displayed. Somewhere i have a certificate saying i won it as described above. I do remember thinking i was the s**t with this controller and then they started selling it killing my dreams of owning something 1 of a kind. The reason i came across this is because i always wondered if my name was in the magazine because i never subscribed to nintendo power i actually ripped the page out of the magazine from a store, i was very very broke as a kid. Does anyone know if they listed all the winners in NP or just the ones in the above picture and if anyone has any questions about the controller i can answer them....maybe there is a difference.

ddr2nite
Veteran

6:02 AM - Jun 08, 2012 #17

KeFkA666 wrote:Does anyone know if they listed all the winners in NP or just the ones in the above picture and if anyone has any questions about the controller i can answer them....maybe there is a difference.
Hey there kefka, welcome to the forums. I do remember seeing another couple of pages in a different issue of Nintendo Power where it listed some more of the winners. I don't remember which issue though.

Also, I don't believe there is a way to tell a difference between those gold controllers from all the other ones that eventually were being sold in stores. Only a true Nintendo employee who worked for the company back in those days would be able to tell us... :(
Click here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

clarky_n64
Veteran

8:00 AM - Jun 08, 2012 #18

Any chance you could snap some pics of the controller with the certificate KeFkA666?

Cabanon
Elite

9:35 AM - Jun 08, 2012 #19

ddr2nite wrote:
KeFkA666 wrote:Does anyone know if they listed all the winners in NP or just the ones in the above picture and if anyone has any questions about the controller i can answer them....maybe there is a difference.
Hey there kefka, welcome to the forums. I do remember seeing another couple of pages in a different issue of Nintendo Power where it listed some more of the winners. I don't remember which issue though.

Also, I don't believe there is a way to tell a difference between those gold controllers from all the other ones that eventually were being sold in stores. Only a true Nintendo employee who worked for the company back in those days would be able to tell us... :(
the only way to really know if the certificate. i have one of these taht i bought that included the certificate & the actual photo used to win one controller. very neat.

macN64
macN64

8:15 PM - Aug 24, 2012 #20

This video has already been brought up in the Third Party OEM Thumbsticks topic, as that was the main point of the video, but KingNintendoFanboy also shows a gold controller he won from the Nintendo Power competition (he shows the card congratulating him for winning).