Goemon's Great Adventure

buddy1983
Elite

5:50 PM - Nov 01, 2017 #1

Goemon's Great Adventure is the game of the month for November. Never played this one myself, what is your experiences with this one?
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Cabanon
Elite

12:34 AM - Nov 02, 2017 #2

never played it either and I dont recall ever seeing it in our local video games rental place.

Milage007
Elite

6:42 AM - Nov 02, 2017 #3

I own this but haven't played it for more than 5 minutes. It would have just been tested on receipt. I've heard a lot of good things about it though and it is in the long list of ones to run through. Awaiting to hear some solid reviews from people who have voted for it!

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

megawatts64

10:32 AM - Nov 02, 2017 #4

Yay!

This is actually my favourite N64 game, and I'm currently playing through it with a friend. It's a very solid game, offering a much tighter and more polished experience than the first Mystical Ninja game for N64. It's also pretty bloody hard in parts, as I recently rediscovered when trying to the castle at the end of world 3!

I highly recommend checking out the game's soundtrack. Easily one of the best on the N64 - the castle tunes are phenomenally good!

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

3:36 PM - Nov 02, 2017 #5

Most definitely one of my favorite N64 games of all time!

Such a step up from the first N64 Goemon, which was fun yet fairly bland and repetitive and the choice of full 3D wasn't the best. Goemon 2 is solid 2.5D platforming that to this day has yet to be topped, such a great game!
The feudal Japan setting is brought out great, love the quirky humor of the townspeople and their silly side quests. And let's not forget the Impact battles, to which I've always looked forward to on every new island.
Also love the character selection and everyone's unique abilities, although I stick mostly to my main man Goemon, his double-jump is such a blessing.... ^_^

I really have nothing bad to say about this game except for that it can be painfully hard at times, but that's more a minor inconvenience and gives it some challenge. ;)

I seriously can't recommend it enough to anyone who has never played it!

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

10:35 PM - Nov 11, 2017 #6

Yeah it's really good. Along with Mischief Makers it's the only other "hardcore" 2D platformer on N64, by that I mean it's decently challenging and it's definitely the most traditional in that it feels like a Snes game. It was in 1 of my earliest posts on this forum where I was pointing out how detailed it was along with my crappy review I made. I saw a May 2009 clip from Xleague Tv where they called Goemon a hidden gem series and judging from forum posts from the early 2000's it seems it's always been that way. They are 1 of the first games that always come up in N64 or Snes hidden gem videos with good reason, but I've played the game 3 times fully and do frequently get tired of hearing about it especially when it gets called a hidden gem series in this day and age where it occasionally pops up on the front page of Reddit or a popular YouTube channel. It's not that I don't like people discovering the games it's just a weird cycle of seeing the same reactions and simplistic conversations over and over. (I have a high iq and demand more thought provoking conversations about my video games. If it has a Wikipedia article I won't even talk about it because it's too mainstream :coffee: )