Game of the Year 2008

alxbly
Elite

December 1st, 2008, 3:19 am #1

We're almost at the end of 2008 and that means it's time to choose what games you think were the best released this year. Please name the three games you enjoyed the most and list them as 1st, 2nd and 3rd favorite. Remember, they need to have been released in 2008 to be included here.

Here's some of the "big" releases you might want to consider:

Fallout 3
Mario Kart Wii
Metal Gear Solid 4
GTA IV
Wii Fit
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Fable 2
Devil May Cry 4
Ninja Gaiden II
Saints Row 2
Dead Space
Little Big Planet

These are just examples to jog peoples memories, though. You can suggest ANY game released this year. :)

dataDyne
Elite

December 1st, 2008, 9:00 am #2

I always look forward to this topic. :D

1. Guitar Hero: World Tour
What an awesome game! It was certainly my most anticipated release of this year, and it did not let me down. Playing Metallica's latest album in its entirety is an amazing experience, not to mention that the fact that Guitar Hero's mix sounds better than the album version!!!!! Could you ask for anything else?

2. GTA IV
It's not San Andreas, but it isn't far off either. The missions were slightly monotonous, but overall it was a top notch game. A more than welcome addition to the incredible GTA series.

3. Little Big Planet
What a great little game this turned out to be! It really came out of nowhere (at least for me) and is nothing short of pure enjoyment. It's nice to see that developers can still be make such quirky, fun games in an age of flair.

Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Applepieman
Veteran

December 1st, 2008, 10:21 am #3

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

My most played game that was released in 2008.

Matt
Elite

December 1st, 2008, 4:50 pm #4

My game's of the year is

Rock Band 2

Left 4 Dead

Gears of war 2.

macN64
macN64

December 1st, 2008, 4:59 pm #5

Again, I've not played any game from this year.
No, wait! I have!
House of the Dead: 2 and 3 Return
Yummy retro goodness. :dance: I'm assuming virtual console games don't count?

alxbly
Elite

December 1st, 2008, 6:21 pm #6

macN64 wrote:Yummy retro goodness. :dance: I'm assuming virtual console games don't count?
You can vote for a Virtual Console game if you want. I was very tempted to vote for a game I downloaded from the PSN store...

So, here's my choices. First place was really difficult to pick this year because there were two games that I really enjoyed and felt that they were just... wow! But, here goes.

1st - Grand Theft Auto IV

Rockstar giveth and Rockstar taketh away. GTA IV changed GTA games and brought a gritty, realistic edge to them but sacrificed mission variation in doing so. It doesn't matter though, it's still one of the most accomplished and engrossing games I've ever played.

2nd - Fallout 3

It's epic, involving, massive, brutal and Fallout 3 also manages to have some of the most graphic violence you're likely to see in a game. It all comes together beautifully, improving on Bethusda's other classic (Elder Scrolls: Oblivion) in almost every way. I don't think you could ever run out of things to do in this game.

3rd - Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

It may not be what many people wanted but in doing something different, Rare have made a game that is ridiculously easy to pick up and play and made me happy that Banjo isn't tacked on. This is a Banjo game. Deal with it. And whilst you deal with that, Rare can deal with the piss poor sales this game has gotten. >_<

There's other games I considered; Little Big Planet, Dead Space, Gran Tursimo 5, Ninja Gaiden 2, Call of Duty: World at War, Rez HD, Endless Ocean and Flow. And they're all really, really good. But I made my choices... :D

migulic
migulic

December 1st, 2008, 8:08 pm #7

I'll answer this from my very narrow, biased point of view (I barely bought any games that came out this year, mostly playing older PS2 games - in fact, the only really 'new' games I got were de Blob, SSBB and MK Wii).

1. The World Ends With You - the only game I bought that came out this year that was actually really good. A breath of fresh air in the pretty stale JRPG market, a very innovative game with great gameplay to boot.

2. de Blob - creative, innovative and a lot of fun although it cannot hold its own against most other great games I played this year like SOTC, Psychonauts, Metroid Prime

3. Super Smash Bros Brawl - was an improvement on the IMO terrible Melee, but still not my type of game. I understand it has a lot of depth, like Melee did, but it seems as if you have to give up a life to discover that depth. Just a mediocre fighting game to me, I enjoyed SoulCalibur II more (also played it this year)

honorable mention: Apollo Justice Ace Attorney

My personal GOTY would be Shadow of the Colossus, although that obviously didn't come out this year. Runners-up: Metroid Prime, Psychonauts, Super Mario Galaxy.

Don't take this list as final - I might get my 360 or PS3 before the end of the year (Christmas maybe) and I might be able to give a much better list then. But as you see, this was a very mediocre year for Wii/DS only owners (luckily I had my PS2 and GCN to hold me over until the 360/PS3).

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: That's for blasphemy! - 20G

dagoss
Elite

December 1st, 2008, 11:00 pm #8

3rd: Super Mario Bros 3

Even though it wasn't released in 2008, it was still one of the best games of 2008.

2nd: Valkyria Chronicles

It hasn't been out that long, but I'm the quality of this game really took me by surprise. If you haven't looked into it yet, Valkyria Chronicles is a combination of turn based strategy and 3rd person shooter, with a much more human and intimate story that is usually found in a strategy game. It does this with a consistent and beautiful style, wonderful music, and near perfect balance. It manages to remove many of the irritations that are usually found in strategy games. This is really one of the most unique games ever made, and one of the most attractive at that.

1st: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3: FES

This is without a doubt the best RPG to come out of Japan since Dragon Quest VIII, and certainly one of the most original. The translation and voice acting is among the very best, the narrative is brilliant in its execution, combat is breezy, and -- despite taking me over 100 hours to complete -- it never became stale. The stories and characters are haunting and among the most memorable I've encountered, the combat is fresh and exciting, and it is overall a high quality production. It easily makes it into the top ten games ever made, let along of this year.

Mop it up
Guardian

December 2nd, 2008, 4:37 am #9

1st: Mario Kart Wii

Everything else can kiss my shiny pink :donkey:.

Actually I'm not even sure if I've played three games released this year. Let me think...

Bomberman Blast
House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Super Sluggers
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

That's what I own. I've played a few others, but they're all lame Wii games I'll not mention for various reasons.

If I were to rank those, it would be in this order:

1st: Mario Kart Wii
2nd: Mario Super Sluggers
3rd: Bomberman Blast
4th: House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
192nd: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with Dagoss's number 3 choice. :yeah:

macN64
macN64

December 3rd, 2008, 5:07 pm #10

^ I didn't think anyone else would have House of the dead... :mellow: :)
wrote:You can vote for a Virtual Console game if you want. I was very tempted to vote for a game I downloaded from the PSN store...
Okay then, I'm set:
1st: DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure
2nd: Star Parodier
3rd: House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return

EDIT (06/01/09): I've change my mind. As you can see, I've played only one game from 2008 and it's hardly "Game of the year". I'm not going to vote for anything. >_>