F-Zero X graphics underrated?

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

4:31 PM - Oct 03, 2016 #1

At the time the graphics were blasted somewhat due to the game focusing on 60 frames framerate which was amazing during that era.

Playing the game now is really a nice looking game with 30 cars with some effect textures and also a rock solid 60 frames face melting speed. I mean I’ve played tons of other N64 racers with more “detailed” that looked far uglier IMO. Usually with bland textures, boxy cars, tons of fog and worst of all really bad framerate.

F-Zero might not be the Banjo Kazooie of racers but when you combine it’s number of vehicles on screen with the framerate I think it’s really one of the most underrated looking games of that gen.

D.J Cat
Veteran

5:27 PM - Oct 03, 2016 #2

Yeah I never got that perception of the game.

At worst, it's a lack of detail on the cars and basic backgrounds, but I never noticed back then because 30 Cara on screen combines with the speed and slick gameplay made it not a factor!

And I don't notice it these days because I'm too busy trying to win and driving like some kind of possesded demon ?

italia64
Veteran

8:59 AM - Oct 04, 2016 #3

I like F-Zero X graphics. Visuals are surely not at the level of stuff like SWE1R or Wip3out, so are a weak point of the game, but are not ugly and are very functional to the gameplay. I also like the vehicles realisation and the sense of speed.

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

10:16 AM - Oct 04, 2016 #4

F-Zero X is simple and clean, not ugly like some may say. I think when judging graphics it's important to ask why a game looks the way it does, especially on older consoles with limited processing power. With F-Zero X the answer is easy. They wanted the gameplay to feel fast and 60fps and having more racers was more important then being able to see the gravel on the roads or having full 3D backgrounds. Adding more detail to the roads and backgrounds is fine but honestly F-Zero X holds up better because of its simplicity and is easier on the eyes than a game like Extreme G.

The simple textures aren't distracting or ugly. They do their job of helping you keep track of where the road is when your going so fast. That's part of the reason the whole game takes place up in the sky too.

I'm not saying the game is perfect aesthetically, I do wish the draw distance was slightly better, but honestly I'm not playing f-zero for the graphics anyway. The perfect controls combined with 60 fps and a steep challenge are what keep me coming back.

D.J Cat
Veteran

1:09 PM - Oct 04, 2016 #5

Indeed, keeping the speed is part of why it has aged so well and why I played the absolute buggery out of it a few times the last few years.

Sort of like how I think Turok 1 has aged better than Turok 2 over time.
Sure, there's fog and draw distance issues but it didn't bother me once during my latest play through (last month!)
All I was thinking was how great the music and atmosphere was and what am I going to shoot next with one of the man you excellent weapons in the game. ?

Milage007
Elite

2:21 PM - Oct 04, 2016 #6

Interesting reading all your thoughts. Personally, I love the game. It was one I had back in the day and so it got played quite a lot. I agree as well that is still holds up really well, unlike some other games of similar ilk in that era. Having played the Snes version (retrospectively), I.e after the 64 era where I had F-Zero X, you can see they made so many improvements. Great game. We should start time trials on this as well!!!

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

D.J Cat
Veteran

4:03 PM - Oct 04, 2016 #7

I'd give it a go, but I do prefer GP Races because of the potential of laying out so many other racers and Nintendo way or rewarding you for being an out of control wild and crazy person?

https://youtu.be/50VJ2r91y18

Not sure if there is annoying PAL/NTSC time difference as well?
Annoying how some games had that and others didn't.

Grizzmeister
Elite

2:23 PM - Feb 15, 2017 #8

Yes F-Zero X has somewhat austere graphics but it's obvious that the compromise was made to maintain the high framerate. Ultimately, F-Zero X is what I consider a victory of 'substance over style'. It plays brilliantly and while it may not look as impressive as say Wave Race 64 - I contend that it ranks right up there with the finest racing experiences of the era and is probably one of the best games on the N64.

Grizz's musings: F-Zero X is a monumental game with an extremely loyal fanbase which begs the question, why didn't Nintendo make the Japanese DD exclusive F-Zero X: Expansion Kit available on the North American Virtual Console? :angry:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

4:37 PM - Feb 15, 2017 #9

Graphics were never the issue for me with F-Zero X. They got the job done, keeping things going really fast and I can appreciate not having a lot of distractions on the screen because of that. My issue was always the sound design. I almost picked up F-Zero X on the Wii VC until I heard the starting announcer. I do want to give it another chance though.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Pocket
Pocket

6:34 PM - Feb 15, 2017 #10

Yeah, it honestly kind of annoys we when F-Zero X is criticized for it's graphics, because 60FPS 3D on the N64, or ANY console from 1998, is so impressive and huge regardless, and the game still has solid minimalist aesthetics while having 30 racers at once. You could complain about it not being the most detailed game in the world, but that's the point and deliberate intention, and it means that the game is one of the smoothest things you will ever play on the N64. F-Zero X is still one of the most technically impressive games on the console in my eyes for that.