Easter Eggs Super Mario 64

GameFrenzyUSA

June 9th, 2015, 3:29 pm #1

Hello All!

Has anyone ever heard of any easter eggs in Super Mario 64? Specifically in levels 1 and 2? I recently, have began replaying Super Mario 64. I recently beat Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U and was pleasantly surprised with a bunch of easter eggs in that game. Just wondering if anybody knew of any cool ones on Super Mario 64.
http://z1.ifrm.com/7061/77/0/e20843//e20843.png

Thanks!
Game Frenzy USA

Vinyl
Veteran
Vinyl
Veteran

June 9th, 2015, 4:21 pm #2

Maybe the mysterious "L is Real 2401" myth/fact/easteregg noone actually know what it is but its real alright :P

PS: this sign is also in Zelda OOT
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

No64DD
Elite

June 9th, 2015, 9:33 pm #3

Hmm, i never knew that one!

You can also get Mario to interact with the little fish in a few places, like Jolly Roger Bay.
They will hop out of the water everytime you jump.
I haven't done it in years though.

A Secret star
lie here~

Bamboozled
Veteran

June 9th, 2015, 10:47 pm #4

Vinyl wrote:Maybe the mysterious "L is Real 2401" myth/fact/easteregg noone actually know what it is but its real alright :P

PS: this sign is also in Zelda OOT
Didn't know what you were talking about, Vinyl, until I googled it. So I researched it and have gathered a reasonable explanation for L is Real 2401. It means Luigi is real 2-4-01. Now what does THAT mean? The answer lies in the line below it, saying paper m. When put together, it all makes Luigi is real, February 4, 2001, Paper Mario. Paper Mario was released in the US on February 5, 2001. So the plaque can't be referring to Paper Mario. But a day doesn't make much of a difference. And the plaque says the same thing in the Japanese version of Super Mario 64. But then why is it in a Zelda game? Because most Zelda games make a Mario reference. What better way to do that than by giving the players more mystery in the L is real case?

No64DD
Elite

June 9th, 2015, 11:54 pm #5

:eh: That is PROLIFIC!!!

Why am i just finding this out now?!

That would mean that in 1995, the makers of SM64 foreseen the exact date of Paper Mario (Mario's Story)?

The original idea for this game was forecasted as Super Mario RPG2 for the 64DD back in 1996/97...
But how is Luigi fitting into this running theme??

I think i need to lay down. :wacko:
A Secret star
lie here~

Bamboozled
Veteran

June 10th, 2015, 12:38 am #6

Luigi was in Paper Mario but was scrapped for Super Mario 64. He was supposed to be in so maybe it was a way of saying 'we haven't forgotten Luigi'.

Cabanon
Elite

June 10th, 2015, 3:58 am #7

oh my, so you mean I lost all these countless hours, day and night searching of Luigi in SM64 ? My childhood is now completly destroyed

No64DD
Elite

June 10th, 2015, 4:33 am #8

I'm sorry.
I'm not buying the internet translation.
But i want to entertain this because i NEVER gave any thought to what it said! EVER!

Can someone get legit images of this inscription from SM64 DS and/or the Wii VC versions?

A Secret star
lie here~

Bamboozled
Veteran

June 10th, 2015, 11:45 am #9

No64DD wrote:I'm sorry.
I'm not buying the internet translation.
But i want to entertain this because i NEVER gave any thought to what it said! EVER!

Can someone get legit images of this inscription from SM64 DS and/or the Wii VC versions?
Of course. I don't actually think it means something it's just a squiggly line that people took seriously. I am also not buying this. In my translation post I stated I also never gave thought to it, and I didn't know of it before Vinyl's post. And like you, that is why I want to entertain it.

And to cabanon, my deepest regrets to you. :lol:

stinger9142
Guardian

June 10th, 2015, 12:40 pm #10

Fascinating, but new to me...

Reminds me of the Entropic Decay/Zero Tau mystery on Perfect Dark. Anybody remember that one? Many searched for a philosophical meaning, "inevitable, chaotic decay of all things" and such. All kinds of theories, leading up to someone noticing the main picture of Rare's webpage was for Donkey Kong, and titles "Intro pic DK". I don't guess anything else ever came of it.

I just chalk some things like this up to intentional and unsolvable mysteries. Some things just seem to be designed to puzzle people, with out ever really having a real explanation. Sometimes fun to speculate though ;)