No64DD
Elite

4:20 PM - Sep 23, 2016 #21

It's because of my childhood sense of wonder that makes these things possible!

Thanks to the game's font style, i was able to match each letter with the template above.

When Nintendo of America started getting calls about L is Real 2401, they were more than happy to perpetuate the myth; either because they didn't have the answer, or knew that it didn't say L is Real 2401 and thought it would be fun to go along with it anyway.

:n64:
A Secret star
lie here~

Mantis128
Established Member
Mantis128
Established Member

11:17 AM - Sep 24, 2016 #22

It's a bunch of squiggles.

Vinyl
Veteran
Vinyl
Veteran

5:24 PM - Sep 24, 2016 #23

I think the best part of SM64 is that Bowser and Boo are sharing the same Voice audio.. but Boo is speed up
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

6:10 PM - Sep 27, 2016 #24

Whoa. You're right. Mind blown.

No64DD
Elite

1:19 AM - Oct 01, 2016 #25

<_>
Mantis128 wrote:It's a bunch of squiggles.
The Easter egg Hunter

Such amateurs. Take note!
A Secret star
lie here~

No64DD
Elite

9:58 PM - Aug 22, 2018 #26

Took a little trip down memory lane. 
As some of you already know, the Castle Courtyard appears in Super Mario Odyssey.
It's funny that after all these years, people still think it says "L is Real. 😄
Not only does the monument say "A Secret star lie here ~
But you can actually get a Secret star there now. 

https://youtu.be/Dyc2twNGHMs

You're welcome.
A Secret star
lie here~

CZroe
CZroe

4:58 AM - Sep 27, 2018 #27

Easter eggs in level 1 and 2?

Hmm...

Running circles around wooden posts will spit out a load of coins. Hitting the chain chomp with a bob-omb causes him to fly up in the air and act stunned for a moment.

Koopa the Quick does not like it when you use the cannons.

Level 2 has a couple too, like hopping up and down on a Whomp causes coins to pop out. I recall getting a 1-Up from punching a butterfly or something.

My favorite one in the entire game is only slightly related to level 2:
During the ending of the game you can spot Mario in a few scenes where he isn’t normally visible. While he’s perfectly visible even without this trick when it shows level 2, he’s not visible in the aquarium that’s behind the same door as level 2 (collect 8 red coins for a castle secret star). You can use the stick on controller 2 to move the camera but he still isn’t visible in all of them. By hacking the game back in the ‘90s I actually discovered that Mario is in every scene, even where you can’t find him with the second player controller. FYI: Both controllers must be connected before turning the system on. You can’t just switch to port 2 or connect the second controller when you beat the game.

Edit: Oops. The aquarium is behind the door to Jolly Roger Bay, not Whomp’s Fortress (level 2).
Last edited by CZroe on 4:58 AM - Sep 27, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Cabanon
Elite

11:29 AM - Sep 27, 2018 #28

those are not easter eggs but game's standard functionnality. heck you even need to do it to get Stars.

CZroe
CZroe

2:24 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #29

Cabanon wrote:those are not easter eggs but game's standard functionnality. heck you even need to do it to get Stars.
Huh? You need to move the camera around after beating the game to spot Mario in places where he’s otherwise not visible during the ending to earn stars? How is that “standard functionality?” You need to hit Chain Chomp with a Bob-omb that doesn’t accomplish anything to earn stars? You need to hop up and down on the back of Whomps for six extra coins before you stomp them to earn stars? You have to run circles around wooden posts to earn stars? You have to use cannons during Koopa the Quick races to earn stars?

No, these are the very definition of Easter eggs, and when the OP specifically requested Easter eggs from the first two levels, I obliged. Heck, even finding Yoshi after 100%-ing the game is an Easter egg.

Vestigial stuff, clipping errors (pull yourself up from under the bridge in level 1), and run-of-the-mill secrets (like warps) are not Easter eggs. Non-essential, generally obtuse, things deliberately left in the game that they don’t expect players to look for, find, or need are. Actually, hanging under the bridge in level 1 might be an Easter egg, though I’m more inclined to believe that they just used the wrong property for that object early in the game’s development and never went back to change it.

Taking a warp during the Koopa the Quick race may seem obvious but it’s very similar to taking Marin to the Crane Game in Link’s Awakening, which is definitely an Easter egg (triggers a scene where she plays, captures the operator, and gets you kicked out). Throwing the Bob-omb at the Chain Chomp is needlessly risky and doesn’t accomplish anything other than a useless reaction from the chomp that some may not have known exists. It doesn’t help you stomp or circle the post or free/defeat the Chain Chomp. It’s an unessential, unnecessary, Easter egg that was left in the game for select players to notice.

They didn’t expect the average player to know or find that you could get coins by doing something as abstract as tightly circling the posts. Definitely an Easter egg and even listed by Nintendo as such. It isn’t “standard functionality” for normally playing the game when there is no indication or hint in the course of playing the game.
Last edited by CZroe on 2:24 PM - Sep 27, 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Cabanon
Elite

3:56 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #30

running around the post to get coins is not what I call an easter eggs, nor stomping Whomps. it's just "hidden" feature to get more coins.

as for the ending, yeah it is.