No64DD
Elite

3:33 PM - Jun 10, 2015 #11

Well then, it might be a good idea to go grab your fun hats if you can...

wink wink!
A Secret star
lie here~

danilochka
danilochka

3:48 PM - Jun 10, 2015 #12

Speaking of Donkey Kong, there's an N64 cameo in Donkey Kong Country 3 for the Super Nintendo. Not only that but the music is a 16-bit rendition of "Inside the Castle Walls" from Super Mario 64! :w00t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFsJTnJ3fQ

No64DD
Elite

6:28 PM - Jun 11, 2015 #13

ok I'm back,
To recap on what I mentioned above pertaining to "L is real 2401", screenshots of the SM64DS/WiiVC versions are not really necessary, but the VC version was updated with 640x480 resolution; equivalent to the Expansion Pak.

Moving on,
By now I suppose, we are now familiar with this myth in SM64 known as L is real 2401- located in the Castle courtyard. It has been floating around for years online much to my surprise...
I want to point out that I completed this game shortly after it's release, so the idea that this myth is new info to me should hopefully be irrelevant!

First let's take a look at the connection it does have to a little game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
What a game!!
It was basically the first time that the language of Hyrule - Hylian; created by the Hylia was represented in-game so well.

Take a look at a bottle of Lon Lon milk
[+] Spoiler

It was the first time I noticed that the makers created the visual representation of Hylian based loosely on the Japanese alphabet.
to the left of the cow shows how lon lon is written in Hylian, which is similar to how it is written in katakana. ( ロン ロン )
The only other time that I'm aware of where Hylian is not used in-game is in Dodongo's Cavern on the stone that perpetuates the 'L is real 2401' myth, but let's table that for now.

back to Super Mario 64! ^_^
A similar thing is also going on in this game with things like signs and visual text as well, and I found it out looking into this thread further. When it comes to ANY in-game text- like messages read, and told to and by Mario, they all use the same FONT... Even in the Castle Courtyard. And it actually reads
A Secret star
lie here ~
Not convinced??
Fantastic!!!
here is the exact Font template
And the link
Super Mario 64 Font
I urge you to find a way to copy, paste, print, trace, type with, fax, share, link, and/or tweet this and see with the naked eye.
Ask yourself- 'what happens to images, sprites, textures, and even graphic text when buffered into the N64 arena? especially up close?
it gets blurry... let's go to the courtyard
[+] Spoiler
we all know what we think it says. So go up to any closest corner and float in the water.

Now turn ALL your TV image settings DOWN. (Color, Contrast, Brightness OFF/sharpness UP)
now slowly bring up the CONTRAST/BRIGHTNESS. Expirement!
[/center]
Allow Lakitu to do the work. He will slowly pan out when switching to his "viewpoint". With Mario floating you are free to adjust viewpoints and moving/toggling the camera.

I kept this as basic as i could, because ironically, others have bigger and better TVs. I do not have my 50' Samsung Plasma anymore- it had many image options!
But i think at this point you might realize that it's important to find a balance between "SMALL" and detailed from afar vs. "BIG" and streched out. But i will leave it up for discussion as to what is working better for you, as far as results go. :yeah:

these pics are only meant to demonstrate what I did on a 17' CRT tv. See how it looks from afar.

the squiggly little line at the bottom line is this

meant to signify a headstone inscription scroll.

Imagine following the spirit of SM64, and any video game in the past 20 years; once bowser stole and hid all the stars, the original star is memorialized in this tombstone. The inscription reads with the same verbage that you'd find on any tombstone/headstone in real life.

The same goes for the "monument" in OoT- making it the TRUE throwback to the Super Mario legacy.

A Secret star
lie here~

Bamboozled
Veteran

7:40 PM - Jun 11, 2015 #14

You're getting me excited No64DD!

No64DD
Elite

8:00 PM - Jun 11, 2015 #15

You're welcome :yeah:

It's an interesting side note- that Nintendo removed this inscription and used whatever version they considered "Hylian" for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.

I suppose they were done scoffing at the dissimilarities that they already knew then.
A Secret star
lie here~

thebaum64

7:10 PM - Jul 23, 2015 #16

Vinyl wrote:Maybe the mysterious "L is Real 2401" myth/fact/easteregg noone actually know what it is but its real alright :P

PS: this sign is also in Zelda OOT
Literally the most classic Easter egg/myth ever.

Grimakis
Grimakis

1:32 PM - Jul 24, 2015 #17

I believe the penguin in the slide race is much fatter if you go back after getting 120 stars.

MyBeefCakes
Established Member
MyBeefCakes
Established Member

9:16 AM - Sep 23, 2016 #18

Shooting in the dark here but could 'L is real 2401' refer to Luigis mansion as his first main game?

I know it was released on 14/9/01 but maybe they planned to release on 4/2/01 or 2/4/01 or 1/4/02???

No64DD
Elite

11:25 AM - Sep 23, 2016 #19

No.

It says A Secret star lie here ~

People have been reading it wrong for 20 years. :yawn:
A Secret star
lie here~

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

3:01 PM - Sep 23, 2016 #20

No64DD wrote:No.

It says A Secret star lie here ~

People have been reading it wrong for 20 years. :yawn:
Thanks for crushing my childhood sense of wonder Mr. "I'm the master of reading illegible Mario 64 text." :/sarcasm

I'm actually kinda glad there is a real answer out there and that's it's not just gibberish. Thanks for putting in the time to figure that all out.