lithium017
Veteran

August 2nd, 2011, 6:36 pm #91

ddr2nite wrote:
lithium017 wrote:I will keep my eyes out online for any links to sellers with them. The E3 one is very, very tough to obtain since only 2 individuals actually have one of the apparent "12" that are known to exist.
Where did you get the "12" number for the E3 controller? I know your post was dated a couple of months ago, but I thought that even at that time we've already identified at least 3 owners (myself, finngamer, and Andrew Reiner the game journalism for Game Informer). To this day we've identified 4 owners and at least 6 controllers, the list is over at the E3 topic: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 403/3/#new
Finngamer made the approximation of roughly "12" of the controllers or so in his video of all of the N64 controllers. I believe he threw out this number assuming that there was at least 2 but probably at least 3 consoles in use for the Star Fox competition (and assumed each had 4 controllers). I used his guestimate as his video is very famous now :P and at that time was the only resource to see the controller.

I put the "12" in quotes to show it was a guestimate as we have no clue how many were used or given away.
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

ddr2nite
Veteran

August 2nd, 2011, 6:47 pm #92

lithium017 wrote:Finngamer made the approximation of roughly "12" of the controllers or so in his video of all of the N64 controllers. I believe he threw out this number assuming that there was at least 2 but probably at least 3 consoles in use for the Star Fox competition (and assumed each had 4 controllers). I used his guestimate as his video is very famous now :P and at that time was the only resource to see the controller.

I put the "12" in quotes to show it was a guestimate as we have no clue how many were used or given away.
Ah... I see, thanks for clarifying :)

Well to clear things up for everyone who happens to read this: the controllers themselves were never used during the competition, just handed out as prizes. REGULAR controllers were actually mounted to the inside of a life-size Arwing that the players sat in. So the number of consoles used for the competition most likely had nothing to do with the total number of prize controllers that were handed out.
Click here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

alxbly
Elite

August 3rd, 2011, 11:47 pm #93

ddr2nite wrote:Well to clear things up for everyone who happens to read this: the controllers themselves were never used during the competition, just handed out as prizes. The controllers were actually mounted to the inside of a life-size Arwing that the players sat in. So the number of consoles used for the competition most likely had nothing to do with the total number of prize controllers that were handed out.
DDR, is there proof or confirmation of this from more than one source who was at the competition? Have they explicitly stated that the controllers were only in the lifesized Arwing and not on separate consoles? Was the Arwing(s?) not used during the competion? Is there evidence that there was only one Arwing?

ddr2nite
Veteran

August 4th, 2011, 2:16 am #94

alxbly wrote:DDR, is there proof or confirmation of this from more than one source who was at the competition? Have they explicitly stated that the controllers were only in the lifesized Arwing and not on separate consoles? Was the Arwing(s?) not used during the competion? Is there evidence that there was only one Arwing?
1.) "more than one source" Yes, both the person who I purchased my controller from (he's a video game store owner, he attended that year's E3 and most other E3's) as well as Andrew Reiner (see his story here) have both seen the competition, including the life-size Arwings.

2.) "have they explicitly stated that the controllers were only in the lifesized Arwing and not on separate consoles?" Sorry, I had phrased my last post incorrectly that could be mis-interpreted. REGULAR controllers were mounted to the inside of the Arwings. The gold N controllers were ONLY given out as prizes, never used, not even during the competition. I would believe that had the actually gold N controllers been the ones the competitors held in their hands, they would have commented about it being part of the gear used in the tournament (which neither did).

3.) "Was the Arwing(s) not used during the competition?" They WERE used in the competition. According to both their stories, there were 4 life size Arwings (one for each character: Fox, Falco, Peppy, Slippy) that the players sat inside. The Arwings also moved/rumbled to simulate flight for the players sitting within it.

4.) "Is there evidence that there was only one Arwing?" There were 4 according to both sources.

I feel like the last 4-5 posts should be cut + pasted into the actual E3 topic string that was started... we got off topic here. If only we had the powers of a moderator to help make that happen that would help put my OCD mind at ease :whistle:

" - MK II

alxbly
Elite

August 5th, 2011, 12:54 am #95

ddr2nite wrote:I feel like the last 4-5 posts should be cut + pasted into the actual E3 topic string that was started... we got off topic here. If only we had the powers of a moderator to help make that happen that would help put my OCD mind at ease :whistle:
And just like magic... ;)

ddr2nite
Veteran

August 5th, 2011, 6:42 pm #96

alxbly wrote:And just like magic... ;)
I knew you'd come through to help my OCD :yeah:

Now let's get out there and find some more of these E3 controllers and more info!

" - MK II

lithium017
Veteran

August 8th, 2011, 2:07 am #97

So how do we know for certain that the special gold E3 controllers were not used during the E3 event itself? This would seem very likely that they would use the special controllers for the event too and then possibly give out ones that were used as prizes? Is there a link that can be referenced that states the evidence that "regular" controllers were used?

ddr2nite
Veteran

August 8th, 2011, 3:34 am #98

The current and updated list:

1.) Finngamer - Janne K. (not signed)
2.) Andrew Reiner (signed by Miyamoto)
3.) ddr2nite - Glen S. (not signed)
4.) Coorsy101 - Corey D. (not signed) edit: seller was robbed at gunpoint, controller lost forever
5.) owner unknown - (signed by Miyamoto, Arakawa, and Lincoln)
6.) Thegt550 - Arturo G. (not signed)
7.) ddr2nite - Glen S. (not signed)

" - MK II

lithium017
Veteran

August 8th, 2011, 4:30 am #99

Okay. Nevermind. Congratulations on finding another one of them DDR, my mistake and apologies. I should not really care anyways, after all it is just a youtube channel and I should have no right to bring it up.

TNT737373
Veteran

August 8th, 2011, 4:32 am #100

Corey D. had a gun shoved in his face over the controller? Wow, no wonder the owner who had the controller signed by Miyamoto, Arakawa, and Lincoln remains unknown. :phear:

Finngamer better train his guard cats a little better, ha.