bluedogrulez
Guardian

1:54 PM - Jun 19, 2018 #511

I'm just curious on everyone thoughts about whether you would "restore" this rare controller by replacing the N64 logo with a new non-authentic sticker . . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

No64DD
Elite

2:16 PM - Jun 19, 2018 #512

I know it leads to this. :facepalm:

instagram
A Secret star
lie here~

Cabanon
Elite

3:42 PM - Jun 19, 2018 #513

bluedogrulez wrote:I'm just curious on everyone thoughts about whether you would "restore" this rare controller by replacing the N64 logo with a new non-authentic sticker . . . .
at this point, I would simply because with or without it, the value would be the same. as long as when the time comes, the seller state that it's a reproduction sticker on a authentic controller. showing the previsous state and how bad it was, hence the reason why a new sticker was placed.

but you know people, being honest in this world of collecting fame is so rare. greed take over, the story is lost and people are ripped off.

doubled edged sword.

Deadmoneycash

4:00 PM - Jun 19, 2018 #514

I'd say if it were mine I'd probably leave it alone. But what I would do is get a made in China gold front from one of the many Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controllers and have the repo sticker put on that and then slap that on as the new face of the E3, but for display purposes only. I guess in my mind always retaining the original as original as possible is important to me. If I ever were to sell it I would of course notify buyer of the two different face fronts. And educate them on how and why one is authentic and the other is not.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

4:16 PM - Jun 19, 2018 #515

@No64DD: Ugh, yeah, not my bag either. I ask because it's sort of like whether museums should "touch up" artwork originally created by master painters, interfering with authenticity in the name of saving the piece. To use Cabanon's apt phrase, it is a double-edged sword.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

No64DD
Elite

10:37 PM - Jun 19, 2018 #516

The one thing about all of this we're forgetting is that the emblem CANNOT be fully recreated.
It's not just a cut out design. It's not made of ordinary material.
It's especially not like the example above with innacurate proportions at best.
Nintendo knew what they were doing.
A Secret star
lie here~

Deadmoneycash

10:31 AM - Jun 20, 2018 #517

@No64DD. I agree with all that.

Truth be told I would display this newly found, rough E3 just the way it is as I'm to lazy to bother with the process of a replica sticker.

I also believe that even repro carts and labels should have some permanent identifying mark on them to let it be known that they are repros and not original. The same would go for trying to duplicate the sticker for this controller. In my opinion all repos in relation to Retro Gaming collecting, game collecting, gaming, from carts, labels, controllers, etc should permanently be marked as a repro in some way or another.

The Solo controller should not exist in the form that it does. Yes, any of us here given the correct picture angle or even see it in person could spot it as a Fake within a split second but most everyone outside the these pages would not know that his controller is a Fake. I've seen many high-end collectors on Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook show off their high end repro items. The difference is they all either acquire a repro item that legitimately and permanently displays in one form or another that it is a repro and or sometimes people get a copy that is 100% identical to the original but they will either draw a large "R" over the item with permanent marker or mark it in a way that for the remainder of History everyone knows it is not original and is a Repro. To NOT do so is counter-intuitive and counterproductive to the gaming world. Anyone in the public eye or that has followers should show everyone how to take the Higher Road, and not encourage counterfeiting high-end items. Putting a self-made counterfeit item on Blast, that is claimed to be 100% identical to the originals, sends the wrong message.

Jsboger
Established Member
Jsboger
Established Member

2:51 AM - Jul 06, 2018 #518

I love all the info you've shared j.m.ratkos! Seems like we unearth more N64 history every day!
Also deadmoney I remember laughing over that thread the other week. That group is a joke sadly.
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

No64DD
Elite

9:09 PM - Sep 16, 2018 #519

I recently had a twitter conversation with Ed Bryan.

You may know him as the creator of Mumbo from Banjo Kazooie. As well as being a character artist for Rare and Microsoft, he also writes children's books among other things.

After looking through his old items, as most Rare employees seem to have an abundance of, Ed recently posted a certain controller that he still has.

With his approval, i decided to share it here.
The only thing someone could muster up to ask him on twitter was if it was for sale, so i took a different angle.
He recalls recieving this controller from Chris Seavor, the man behind the infamous Conker the squirrel, at the e3 1997 event they all attended.
Looks amazing!

Hopefully he holds onto it, but it confirms yet another owner of this gorgeous controller to the rather small but growing list. :yeah:

Made In Japan

A Secret star
lie here~

DarkLink
DarkLink

10:58 AM - Sep 18, 2018 #520

Nice find
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!