Houghton0609
Houghton0609

12:33 PM - Nov 22, 2017 #471

I purchased jonebone's pad earlier this year ?

j.m.ratkos

5:18 PM - Apr 19, 2018 #472

bumping a long dead thread and I realize that I've never been a member before today on these forums, however I'm going to be listing both a CES 1997 N64 starfox competition controller and a 2002 E3 wavebird mario party competition controller on ebay.

both items are authentic, brand new and have never been used

I won 4 of the N64 controllers at the CES event and gave 3 of them away to friends. the one that I kept was never used and immediately stored in a black retail N64 controller box when I got home after the show.
I won 5 of the wavebird controllers at the 2002 E3 event (and kept 2). these are really nice and come packaged in a blue "crown royal" like velvet bag which is embroidered with the text "cut the cord"

for those who do not know me, I used to author guides for both prima and brady games back in the day (searching 'james ratkos' on amazon will reveal my body of work). I attended many CES shows and the first 10 years of E3. I will provide links to photos of the items later tonight

Intendall64
Intendall64

6:16 PM - Apr 19, 2018 #473

j.m.ratkos wrote:bumping a long dead thread and I realize that I've never been a member before today on these forums, however I'm going to be listing both a CES 1997 N64 starfox competition controller and a 2002 E3 wavebird mario party competition controller on ebay.
Hi, amazing information!

I would be extremely interested in buying the E3 controller from you. I missed out on the last one sold on this forum by a whisker!

If it's ok I will message you.

Thanks

No64DD
Elite

6:34 PM - Apr 19, 2018 #474

Welcome James.

Almost everybody associates this N64 controller with the e3 event. We would definitely like to hear more about the CES event. That would've been before e3 97.

Can you please take a pic of where it is made?
A Secret star
lie here~

kartmaster
Veteran

7:38 PM - Apr 19, 2018 #475

Just putting it out there because we've been here before. Civil discussion of these items and their authenticity will be permitted here.

Any drama about the deals, personal attacks, or reputation bashing will not.

i8ablueskittle
i8ablueskittle

8:21 PM - Apr 19, 2018 #476

j.m.ratkos wrote:bumping a long dead thread and I realize that I've never been a member before today on these forums, however I'm going to be listing both a CES 1997 N64 starfox competition controller and a 2002 E3 wavebird mario party competition controller on ebay.

both items are authentic, brand new and have never been used

I won 4 of the N64 controllers at the CES event and gave 3 of them away to friends. the one that I kept was never used and immediately stored in a black retail N64 controller box when I got home after the show.
I won 5 of the wavebird controllers at the 2002 E3 event (and kept 2). these are really nice and come packaged in a blue "crown royal" like velvet bag which is embroidered with the text "cut the cord"

for those who do not know me, I used to author guides for both prima and brady games back in the day (searching 'james ratkos' on amazon will reveal my body of work). I attended many CES shows and the first 10 years of E3. I will provide links to photos of the items later tonight
Like No64DD said, that's cool that they weren't only given out at E3. Also very interested in seeing the wavebird, I've read about one a while back where somebody received on in a velvet bag that said 'Ride the Wave' or something like that. Can't wait to see them!
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com

j.m.ratkos

11:49 PM - Apr 19, 2018 #477

No64DD wrote:Welcome James.

Almost everybody associates this N64 controller with the e3 event. We would definitely like to hear more about the CES event. That would've been before e3 97.

Can you please take a pic of where it is made?
ok, so my memory isn't as good as I thought it was. I could have sworn that E3 didn't start until after 1997, but that would have been wrong since we were doing our first guide for prima (final fantasy tactics) in 1997.

so I stand corrected and it was the 1997 E3 starfox event

the link for photos of both controllers can be found here:
http://www.phosphors.com/E3%20nintendo%20controllers/

to win the wavebird controller, you were shuffled through a line and sat down at a roulette type wheel where you could win (if I recall correctly), a foam gamecube, gameboy advance, one of 4 t-shirts (mario sunshine, windwaker, and two others that I'd have to get back into the box to see what they were or a 4" diameter aluminum disc with the nintendo N cut out of it (I know this because I kept one ;)
if you won the aluminum disc, you were shuttled to a grandstand style seating area with 3 other E3 patrons and played 3 rounds of mario party for the gamecube (using wavebird controllers of course). the person with the highest number of points after 3 rounds was declared the winner and walked away with one of the wavebirds in the purple pouches. I'll have to try and find the aluminum disc. I still have it somewhere in one of the 80+ paper ream boxes in my basement containing all of my video gaming stuff.

as far as authenticity goes, I can provide photos of whatever other merchandise that I still have from all of the shows (which is quite a bit). my collection has grown to over 3,000 sealed games and a complete run of weekly famitsu magazine from the first weekly issue in june of 1991 through issue 1,500 (fall 2017) when I finally decided to stop

my body of work for prima:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh ... 1524182389

additionally, jessica chobot (www.nerdist.com) will back up all of my claims (I was the one who got her into her first E3 and helped her make the connections with the video game industry)

The Red Shadow
Guardian

12:15 AM - Apr 20, 2018 #478

I'll let the true N64 enthusiasts comment on the controllers but I just want to say that I own at least two of the strategy guides you worked on back in the day and so I just want to say thanks for the hard work you put into them!

j.m.ratkos

12:18 AM - Apr 20, 2018 #479

god, that was a horrible project to work on. every time they changed the game code, they sent us a new N64 dev cart and the save data was never compatible with the earlier revisions. we had to start the game over at least 20x during the writing of that guide

I managed to locate the 4 foam "stress reliever" gamecubes and game boy advances and have added an additional 2 photos of them in the same directory linked above

The Red Shadow
Guardian

12:24 AM - Apr 20, 2018 #480

Uh oh, looks like I own 3 of your guides:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Ocean: The Second Story
and...Quest 64 :o