Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

stinger9142
Guardian

8:51 PM - Sep 04, 2015 #1

After probably near a record number of nominations and second place vote offs, The Duke has done it :lol:

I never had the chance to play Zero Hour, but had always meant to. I enjoyed the first Duke Nukem installment, and had the original two for PC even.

italia64
Veteran

9:46 PM - Sep 04, 2015 #2

This game is great!
I prefer it over Duke Nukem 64. There is the Duke style and attitudes and plenty of citations (there is a poster of Turok Dinosaur Hunter haha).
Nice TPS, nice plot, solid graphic (frame rate may drop with Expansion Pak) and funny gameplay.

I'm going to use this topic for my personal purposes hehehe:

I want to play it again and this time 100% beat it. Unfortunately I read that a bug can't permit the 100% completion (if someone is interested I will explain where).

So I ask: if some o you 100% beaten this game please contact me and tell me how did you do.

action
action

7:35 AM - Sep 05, 2015 #3

italia64 wrote:This game is great!
I prefer it over Duke Nukem 64. There is the Duke style and attitudes and plenty of citations (there is a poster of Turok Dinosaur Hunter haha).
Nice TPS, nice plot, solid graphic (frame rate may drop with Expansion Pak) and funny gameplay.

I'm going to use this topic for my personal purposes hehehe:

I want to play it again and this time 100% beat it. Unfortunately I read that a bug can't permit the 100% completion (if someone is interested I will explain where).

So I ask: if some o you 100% beaten this game please contact me and tell me how did you do.
if you wore sunglasses and sported blonde hair, you would BE duke nukem :P

it's easily in my top 5 best N64 games ever. that says a lot i guess.

this is one game i'l like to see a HD remake of, running on 60fps. would be the best :cussfit: game ever. 8)

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

6:05 PM - Sep 05, 2015 #4

Aw but I've never even played this one. :(

I've known for a while that there was another Duke Nukem game for the N64, but I'll admit that the only thing I know about it is that it supposedly plays like the original Tomb Raider.

Unfortunately, I own the original Tomb Raider and realized it aged like milk, so I've got some questions to ask. For starters, does Duke Nukem: Zero Hour play like Tomb Raider and, if so, is the game built around it better? Because, if not, I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Either way, congrats to those who voted this game in.

action
action

4:56 AM - Sep 06, 2015 #5

EnvyFox wrote:Aw but I've never even played this one. :(

I've known for a while that there was another Duke Nukem game for the N64, but I'll admit that the only thing I know about it is that it supposedly plays like the original Tomb Raider.

Unfortunately, I own the original Tomb Raider and realized it aged like milk, so I've got some questions to ask. For starters, does Duke Nukem: Zero Hour play like Tomb Raider and, if so, is the game built around it better? Because, if not, I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Either way, congrats to those who voted this game in.
plays nothing like tomb raider. only similarity is the 3d person view. in DNZH you're constantly blasting away blowing stuff to pieces, with only mild puzzles as a distraction. in TR, its all about puzzles and very occasional shooting.

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

2:16 PM - Sep 06, 2015 #6

@action - Thanks for letting me know. My problem with Tomb Raider isn't really the puzzles, but the controls I had to fight with to solve those puzzles. You always had to specifically line yourself up and your jumps had to be picture perfect. With the way Lara controlled, that wasn't very fun for me. However, I feel that control scheme would fair much better in a game where you mostly just shoot alien scum. If I ever find a copy out in the wild, I'll make sure to pick it up.

Kerr Avon
Kerr Avon

3:37 PM - Sep 07, 2015 #7

EnvyFox wrote:I've known for a while that there was another Duke Nukem game for the N64, but I'll admit that the only thing I know about it is that it supposedly plays like the original Tomb Raider.

No, you're thinking of the Playstation's Duke Nukem: Time to Kill.

See, for some reason, after Duke Nukem 3D was released on the Playstation and N64 (called Duke Nukem 64 on the N64, and Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown on the PSX), it was decided to release a new Duke Nukem game on the two consoles, with each game being made by a different company. I don't know who decided this, or what the given specifications of the games were, but it turned out that both games, when released, were third person shooters, both had time travel in them, and both of them have some levels set in America's wild west (among other times and places).

Other than that, and Duke related enemies, situations, and humour, they games have almost nothing in common. Time to Kill is quite like Tomb Raider, though TR does have much more jumping and precision-required climbing, since TR concentrates more on shooting.

But Zero Hour has very little in common with TR, being much more of a shooter and having few platforming parts, though they do exist.

Time to Kill is an OK game, but Zero Hour is very good indeed (my favourite ever Duke Nukem game), though it's not perfect. It's biggest flaws are that some levels are long and have no checkpoints, and that the enemy snipers take too much health from you if they get a shot in, so you can die from a couple of sniper shots whilst you're looking around for the enemies. Some parts of the game almost require you to remember where the enemies are, otherwise you'll have to at times almost crawl as you search for snipers before they can see you. Thankfully, snipers are rare in the game (though I wish they were non-existent!).

Two of the people who worked on Zero Hour used to post on Gamefaqs, and one of them said that Zero Hour was released before they wanted it to be, and the biggest changes they'd wanted to make before release were:

Add mid-level checkpoints,
Reduce the damage a sniper bullet does to you,
Add bots in multiplayer mode

but sadly it wasn't to be. The game is still great, with some really well designed levels and weapons, and I always play it in first person mode (you can do this via a cheat, look on the Gamefaqs page, or google for it) as I prefer it to third person mode.

Basically, if you want a great but sometimes pretty difficult third or first person shooter, then Duke Nukem: Zero Hour might be exactly what you want.

By the way, Duke Nukem 64 and Duke Nukem: Zero Hour were the only two Duke Nukem games on the N64. The Playstation (after Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, and Duke Nukem: Time to Kill) did get another Duke Nukem game, Land of the Babes. but I've not played that. I have heard that it's not much good, but I don't know if it's more of a shooter, or a Tomb Raider style game.

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

5:12 PM - Sep 07, 2015 #8

@Kerr Avon - Ah that explains a lot. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I'm even more interested in playing Zero Hour.

I remember renting Land of the Babes as a kid (I played a lot of games that I probably shouldn't have around those times), but confess I only remember saving women and getting a hilarious phone call from "Lara." I'm starting to think those PS1 games were Tomb Raider parodies.

Nuno
Veteran
Nuno
Veteran

10:33 AM - Sep 09, 2015 #9

Hail to the KING! Duke won :yeah:

I like Duke Nukem so much. DukeNukem3D was my first ever PC game when I was a kid, since then it left a mark on me.
Since Duke Nukem For Ever is...well...not that good, it's so good to know that there's stuff like Zero Hour to remember us what Duke has to offer!

italia64
Veteran

11:41 AM - Oct 03, 2015 #10

I'm on level 5. The lack of save points is very frustrating but the game is still very good.
I have to write all the game's one liners, some are wonderful :-P