bluedogrulez
Guardian

11:56 AM - Jan 31, 2018 #191

@darkado: please post your findings! I’m guessing Ice>Clear>Launch.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

4:47 PM - Jan 31, 2018 #192

I think this question has already been answered, but the funtastic finds would also apply to the Pikachu consoles, yes? The one I imported from Japan is reading at least one cartridge better than my original.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

ultimateman

8:24 PM - Feb 05, 2018 #193

Hi all! I'm new to these forums but I'm a videophile who recently acquired a Jungle Green based on the recommendations here. I can say that I definitely noticed an increase in image quality, de-blur if you will, when using the green vs. the standard grey N64. I am currently using a finely calibrated Sony KV-27FV310 CRT television, which is known here in the states as the best consumer-grade CRT ever made. I'm connecting via s-video using a high-quality 3rd party Monster brand like the one here: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-GCGL300- ... op?ie=UTF8

As soon as I'm able, I plan on posting comparison pictures between the standard vs. the Jungle Green N64s. In the meantime, I wanted to say thanks for the recommendation as I'm definitely enjoying the upgrade in image quality so far!

darkado
darkado

2:49 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #194

Just got my consolegoods s-video cable, trying it out on pvm right now.

darkado
darkado

7:57 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #195

I'm sorry for double posting but here are my findings.
Clear blue, no s-video output.
Ice blue, pretty good s-video, not that much better than composite on a pvm.
Charcoal grey (RGB moddable NUS-001(FRA)), no s-video output.

I must say that I am suprised by lack of output on the RGB moddable console. I did not try the launch asian n64 since the cable is labeled as PAL on consolegoods store.

OT: While fiddling with the settings, the up arrow button on my pvm broke. It's 99% setup for a great picture but I would like just a little more contrast. Does anyone know how to fix that button?

jonathancutt

2:34 PM - Feb 18, 2018 #196

I scored a really good condition Smoke Grey NTSC-U console for about $40 USD today. Has NUS-CPU-08-1 board in it so the analog video should be better. I might try it out later.

Roboplodicus

11:11 PM - Apr 26, 2018 #197

So I managed to snag on of the UltraHDMI modkits and hit it installed to my...charcoal grey n64. Does anybody have any opinions as to whether I theoretically would have gotten a slightly better image out of the HDMImod had I had a later motherboard N64 console modded with HDMI? Its pretty(highly) unlikely that I chase down one of these new N64 then wait months on a waitlist for a kit again, I'm mostly just curious what you guys think.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

10:08 PM - Apr 27, 2018 #198

@Roboplodicus: In theory, and really just a guess, I would think that the HDMI mod would take care of the sharpness that the revised Motherboard provides, but not the brightness that is supplies. But I agree that the itch isn't worth the scratch. Are you happy with the HDMI output? Do tell . . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Roboplodicus

2:52 AM - Apr 28, 2018 #199

bluedogrulez wrote:@Roboplodicus: In theory, and really just a guess, I would think that the HDMI mod would take care of the sharpness that the revised Motherboard provides, but not the brightness that is supplies. But I agree that the itch isn't worth the scratch. Are you happy with the HDMI output? Do tell . . . .
EDITED for coherence for I was very tired when I wrote this two nights ago

I'm really honestly unimpressed with the output to tell the truth, I still think games look way better on my 20" CRT I am honestly thinking about selling the modded console and just getting a funtastic and maybe eventually getting an RGB mod and a fancy Sony PVM or BVM or some other kind of broadcast monitor... but dude the whole thing is kind of a story...I'd been wanting the HDMI mod for like a year and a half, but it was always sold out everywhere, then finally a site put up preorders for the kit and I jumped on it, 4 months later the kit showed up, I sent it out to BadAssConsole, which I wouldn't recommend anyone doing because that guy takes forever and literally never answered any of my emails I saw from my tracking that the kit and my n64 arrived at his location but he never updated my orders status on his site either until the day before he sent it back to me. He also doesn't have a phone number posted publicly to call him I realized after he didn't answer my emails so I do a google search for his phone number and I come across multiple threads talking about how he never answers anyones emails and always takes forever one person said their mod took 3 months plus. Luckily my N64 mod only took about a month and a half and but when I plug it into the Bravia LCD in my living room and it looked just kind of awful :facepalm: . I messed around with all the settings and I got the picture looking kind of sort of halfway decent looking, like I think scanlines are a must not for nostalgia but because they make low res 3d images appear less jagged. Comparing Ocarina of Time on my 13 year old 20inch Sanyo little flatscreen CRT over composite(I can't find my S-video cable) than it did on the frigging 46" Bravia LCD...I'm not even upset though because after selling the darn thing then buying a funtastic console I'll actually have made a profit because the demand is so hi for the HDMI mod...its all kind of crazy. At this point I reckon I'm going to sell the thing unless...recently I've decided to just take it back and go oldschool in general so I'm getting the very last HD 1080i CRT sony made in like 2007 off craigslist for like 50 dollars(the set was like 3,000 dollars when it came out) tomorrow to play all my 360 and Xbox one and maybe PC games on and the thing has an HDMI port which means I am going to be able to play N64 over HDMI on a HD CRT where it might just look absolutely incredible who knows...if it does I'll have to decide if the difference between HDMI on the big CRT and S-Video on the CRT is really that important to me. Like I might also just put it up on eBay at cost and let someone else that might actually appreciate the mod have it. But ya I want to really give the mod a chance because it was such a freaking pain in the :donkey: to get. I'll post my "finding" on here for anybody that is curious. At this point the whole thing is kind of surreally amusing to me...like after all that trouble...

Grizzmeister
Elite

1:17 PM - Apr 28, 2018 #200

Thank you for your blunt honesty about the UltraHDMI mod, Roboplodicus! :yeah:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer