DL's SOLID Controller list

DarkLink
DarkLink

July 20th, 2015, 5:03 pm #1

Hi guys,

When I started collecting controllers I focused on the „rarer“ versions first. Now that I am slowly reaching completion I realized it might make sense to start collecting the 6 solid controllers. When I started searching I came across quite a few different Box Variations and I was very surprised just how much there are.

As you might have guessed I’m a fan of box variations. Long story short - I wouldn’t be myself if I hadn’t decided to collect all solid controller box variations out there. It’s pretty specific but I will start a comprehensive list of all the solid controllers. Happy for any contributions :D

I will always provide an example picture. So here is what we have found so far:

Germany - NOE - The German versions are in German language on the front cover
[+] spoiler

Italy - ITA - The Italian versions are in Italian language on the front cover and have the „GiG Logo“
[+] spoiler

Spain - ESP English text on front cover - Spanish text on side sleeve
[+] spoiler

Brazil - ??? - The Brazilian versions are in Brazilian language on the front cover
[+] spoiler

United Kingdom - UKV - The UK versions are in English Language and have a BLACK side cover
[+] spoiler

United States - USA - The US versions are in English language and have a WHITE side cover
[+] spoiler

Scandinavia - SCN - Finish, Swedish and Danish or Norwegian? on front cover
[+] spoiler

Australia - AUS - Same Box as UK version but states "Distributed by Nintendo Australia"
[+] spoiler

Japan - Japanese language on front cover - also different design
[+] spoiler

Hong Kong - Same design as Japanese Versions but in English language
[+] spoiler

COLABORATION VERSIONS

3 Language EU Box - FHE - French, Spanish and Dutch on front cover (orange text color)
[+] spoiler

Germany and France - FRG - German and French language on front cover
[+] spoiler

France and Netherlands - FAH - French and Dutch language on front cover
[+] spoiler

EU 4 Box - NOE - Controller / Manette on front cover and 4 languages (German, French, Dutch and Spanish on the red side sleeve.) These come in different text colors on the sleeve.
[+] spoiler

EU 6 Box - NOE - Only „Controller“ on the front cover and 6 languages (English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish and Italian on the side sleeve. 2 found so far.
[+] spoiler

Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

bluedogrulez
Guardian

July 20th, 2015, 5:34 pm #2

Wow, 9 variants already?? Nice work. And that's not even counting the Japanese future-art hang tab boxes (and any other variants it may have had).

Wonder if there were any Australia variants, too.

Sure many folks here will enjoy this topic.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Rocky
Rocky

July 20th, 2015, 5:47 pm #3

Awesome start to the guide! Any explanation for why the Italian boxes have a GIG Electronics emblem on them?

DarkLink
DarkLink

July 20th, 2015, 7:13 pm #4

Rocky wrote:Awesome start to the guide! Any explanation for why the Italian boxes have a GIG Electronics emblem on them?
Thanks!

In some countries specific companies...
- mostly buy the exclusive distribution rights (Italy)
- get forced buy the political system, market trade or copyright issues (Korea - Comboy)
- rarely are able to covince the manufacturer to choose their company, cause they are the only ones that can do the job right. For example if the infrastructure of the county is bad, the demographics are difficult etc.
- act as a monopolist as there is only one major distributor, therefore thay have very strong negotiation power (This may or may not be the case with Bargsala)

In return they print there logo on the products for the marketing effect, get shares etc.
In the case of GiG Electronics, there logo is on every game, Controller and console released in Italy.

danilochka
danilochka

July 20th, 2015, 8:25 pm #5

Yeah all of these numerous company handling distribution is the main reason for the differing boxes across Europe. Namely THE Games Ltd for the UK, GIG for Italy and Bergsala for Scandinavia.

The European controllers were initally released in 5 types; UKV, NOE, FHE, ITA and SCN, all these have copyrights of 1997 on the boxes. Then came the EU4 releases, copyrighted 1999. Although the EU6 boxes are also copyrighted 1999, I believe they came out very late in the system's lifespan and as such are the hardest to find. In 2001 Nintendo UK was set up to handle the distribution there and take over from THE, so maybe this is where the EU6 boxes come from.

I know this list is only for the original 6 solid colours but it's worth noting that Clear Purple also is available as EU4, and Clear Blue is always EU6. Here's a couple of proof photos to fill in some gaps:

EU4 - Grey

EU6 - Black

Yes, Australia did indeed get their own AUS version of these 6 boxes. Also if you wish to include Asian variants, the Hong Kong releases feature the Japanese artwork but English text:

Good luck on your quest to catch them all :yeah:

kartmaster
Veteran

July 21st, 2015, 3:13 am #6

Fascinating! Thanks for putting in the work to compile this list. It's cool to have all the variants in one place to be able to compare.

No64DD
Elite

July 21st, 2015, 4:59 am #7

danilochka wrote:
wrote:

Good luck on your quest to catch them all :yeah:
This is by FAR my favorite.
I like to know exactly what the contents are before i open it! X_D

Beautiful!
:wub:
A Secret star
lie here~

DarkLink
DarkLink

July 21st, 2015, 3:54 pm #8

Thanks for updating bluedog, I have yet to find a good Austrlian picture though.

Hey, cool information danilochka! Like always :D That is indded very interesting.
Do you know what UKV, NOE, FHE, ITA and SCN stand for?
I'll add alle the new ones to the list when I find time this week.

Vinyl
Veteran
Vinyl
Veteran

July 21st, 2015, 7:51 pm #9

So many?! Holy Shi..pancakes It is so weird to see a Japanese box with English text!

and about:
UKV, NOE, FHE, ITA, SCN:

Can`t find the FHE but could not be far off, ... Family Home Evening? :D
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

danilochka
danilochka

July 21st, 2015, 8:55 pm #10

Haha yeah sorry, those code can be found at the end of the box tabs.

UKV = United Kingdom
AUS = Australia
NOE = Germany (Nintendo of Europe)
ITA = Italy
SCN = Scandinavia
FHE = France, Netherlands and Spain

Note: The last one is a combination of FRA (France), HOL (Netherlands) and ESP (Spain).

The AUS boxes are very similar in design to the UKV ones, including the black text on the side, but if you read the small print on the back (near the bottom-left) you can see it says Distributed by Nintendo Australia: