Cruisin' World

stinger9142
Guardian

May 2nd, 2016, 6:41 pm #1

Cruisin' World in our May GotM winner.

Always a fan of this whole series. Nice casual arcade racer. Never owned one, but they made for good rentals.

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

May 5th, 2016, 5:06 am #2

The Cruis'n series (mainly World and Exotica) have been a part of my arcade life since childhood. Wasn't able to play the N64 port of this game until a few months back, but I'm finally glad to have another arcade classic in my home. :yeah:

Milage007
Elite

May 5th, 2016, 8:33 am #3

Never played or owned this but watched YouTube videos of the series and they do look quite good in their own way. I can see why it won this month.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Dewalt
Dewalt

May 5th, 2016, 3:27 pm #4

I've been playing this game for 16 years. It's great.

danilochka
danilochka

May 5th, 2016, 3:41 pm #5

Fun fact: The music on the Egypt stage features the same 'muslim chanting' sample that was originally used for the Fire Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It caused a bit of controversy and had to be removed from subsequent releases of that game, but for whatever reason is fine in Cruis'n World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhAv1bzMRs

stinger9142
Guardian

May 7th, 2016, 3:07 pm #6

Neat info tidbit, Danilochka.

Vekoma64
Vekoma64

May 9th, 2016, 11:51 pm #7

In the UK Crusi'n USA was not really known as Arcades are far and few between and very small. They just sneaked out the game with no fan fare and I read in a magazine it was rubbish and bought it anyway. I hated it so much and thought how can the worlds most powerful games console have a game like this and Sony had Ridge Racer and so much more. Then World was on the shelf and my mother bought it anyway and I took it home and played it. Went straight to London and thought wow this game sucks, why is there a corner on London Bridge and switched it off. One day though I put it in and I just got it, it was fast, funny and just great. I then went back to USA and loved it too, not as much as World and I waited with anticipation for Exotica and the Pal regions got the :pottymouth:. Real shame, I only played Exotica a few years ago and love it too. World is still my fav and still gets played at least 10 times a year every year.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

kartmaster
Veteran

May 10th, 2016, 2:52 am #8

I remember being instantly sad when I brought this game home and they took out the roadkill from the arcade version. Haha.

I pumped so many quarters into the arcade machine at my local movie theater playing Crusin' World. I never enjoyed the N64 version quite as much, but I still played a hell of a lot of it.

TofuJunky87
TofuJunky87

May 10th, 2016, 3:53 am #9

I fell in love with this game in the arcade machines. I probably played this more than any other arcade racer, but with a close second from either Daytona USA or Rush. I play the heck out of this game, at least once a week, along with USA and Exotica, though World and Exotica are my favs.

This game easily graces my top 5 N64 game list. The nostalgia is as thick as mud and I love everything about this game. No one knows what an "arcade racer" is until they play this game. This is the dictionary definition of it.
Current 64 Collection: Grey, Jungle, Fire, Ice, Smoke, Watermelon, Grape, Gold, JP Blue/Clear, Daiei Hawks
Current Game Count: 324
Current Controller Count: 32

:n64: 4ever

stinger9142
Guardian

May 18th, 2016, 2:52 pm #10

kartmaster wrote:I remember being instantly sad when I brought this game home and they took out the roadkill from the arcade version. Haha.
Makes me think of the "Ped Hunt" Option on Road Rash! Good times :lol: