Controller discussion

StYoung
Veteran

6:29 AM - Jul 23, 2006 #1

While lurking on the GameFAQs N64 board awhile ago I saw a link leading to a 3rd party controller that had the Analog stick and D-pad right next to each other and wasn't the Hori mini controller. The descriptions pretty vague I know, but it's hard to explain. If anyone has any info on it could you please post it?
dagoss,Nov 17 2007 wrote: OMG, this is the best topic ever made.? I nominate Steve for God!

Deleted User
Deleted User

1:26 PM - Jul 23, 2006 #2

Hi StYoung. Do you mean this one?

It had a different name in the US and I can't remember what it was...

floorcat
Elite

4:01 PM - Jul 23, 2006 #3

I'm pretty sure the one alxbly guessed is the one you're thinking of...
I think Kerr Avon was the GameFAQs member who posted the link and strongly recommended this controller, if you want to grab his attention and ask for the link again.

As far as the US name for the "MakoPad 64" controller, it's called the "SuperPad 64"... unfortunately, this name also refers to a controller with a different (and in my opinion, UGLY), 3-pronged design. What makes everything even more confusing is the fact that more than one company makes both designs of the SuperPad. As far as the 2-pronged version, instead of being clear like the MakoPad, it's solid black, and the "SuperPad 64 plus" version is the one that has the turbo/slow-mo features. I think the 3-pronged (ugly) SuperPad Plus just comes in different colors.

Anyways, I could probably go into more detail (and maybe even post pictures) if you want...

... maybe I'll eventually even write up a 3-rd party controller review (since I've tried quite a few)... that is, if ever I get off my lazy butt. ;)

And if you're curious as to what I think about the SuperPad 64 (both the 2-prong & 3-prong designs)... I can recommend either one, as long as you've got pretty adapting hands. They both have decent control (identical?), and much more longevity (as far as I can tell) than the 1st party controller... all thanks to a metal-base analog stick.

StYoung
Veteran

6:29 PM - Jul 23, 2006 #4

Yup, that's the one I was think about. Thanks. :)

I semi-remembered that it was called the SuperPad, but my brothers friend is sleeping over right now and brought the 3-pronged version with him so I thought thats why I came up with the name. It feels pretty alright, but the top of the analog stick is broke off, so I can't say much about that.

Pictures and more detail would be great, floorcat, though the stuff you already posted is really informative. Once again, thanks.
dagoss,Nov 17 2007 wrote: OMG, this is the best topic ever made.? I nominate Steve for God!

floorcat
Elite

7:47 AM - Jul 28, 2006 #5

Sorry StYoung... I've been mega-busy ever since the week started. I'll try to post a review & some pics up this weekend.
*feels inappropriately ambitious*

Ragedy
Ragedy

11:06 PM - Jul 29, 2006 #6

Thats one ugly controller.

floorcat
Elite

5:34 AM - Jul 30, 2006 #7

Ragedy wrote:Thats one ugly controller.
True 'dat!!

Anyways... sorry I haven't done my review yet... hopefully it'll be up tomorrow.

:(

StYoung
Veteran

6:57 AM - Jul 30, 2006 #8

Man yo no need to player hate the controller.

Deleted User
Deleted User

12:59 PM - Jul 30, 2006 #9

The reason I remembered that pad is because I got one free with a game I had pre-ordered (I can't remember which one but it was quite late in the N64's life). I held onto it for a short while but then, before I could get used to the different layout, I gave it to a friend. It worked well, it was just the layout that put me off.

dataDyne
Elite

9:45 PM - Jul 30, 2006 #10

I've been trying to track down a MakoPad 64 to buy somewhere on the net as I really want one of those metallic joysticks. A guy on the GameFAQs N64 message board apparently took a metallic joystick out of the MakoPad (or maybe some other 3rd party N64 controller) and replaced his normal joystick on his official controller with it. I plan to do the same, as if it is successful then my controller's joystick will never become loose. :D
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843