floorcat
Elite

2:53 AM - Sep 21, 2006 #21

I'm not really so sure...
I would say "possibly"... since my (apparently insensitive) thumbs can't adjust well to the sensitivity of the analog stick without the rumble pak. So there's a high chance that I'd get even more thrown off with the rumble pak.

Actually... come to think of it, I might've always been playing with the rumble pak (since I typically go for "maximum sensory input"), and that might actually be (part of) the reason alxbly and I differ on this one point (the thought never really came across my mind before!). Alxbly, have you been playing without the rumble pak? If so, then it may very well be "yes, it is too sensitive."

Either way, I guess the only way to truly know is to have some Perfect Dark stud play some hideously hard combat simulator level numerous times both with and without the rumble pak, and do some stat-calculating with headshots etc.

Who knows though... :unsure:

Deleted User
Deleted User

3:11 AM - Sep 21, 2006 #22

I played both with and without, never noticed a difference. I'll pay more attention next time and feed back the results.

Sonny64
Sonny64

12:20 AM - Sep 23, 2006 #23

This is sort-of topic but is the hori pad mini the rarest n64 controller? I mean type it on google and you get very few articles about it.

Deleted User
Deleted User

12:45 AM - Sep 23, 2006 #24

It's probably amongst the rarest controllers, certainly outside of Japan. There is one controller that is definitely rarer though. It was an official N64 controller released by Nintendo for the millenium, but I can't remember what it was called (and trying to find a photo or some text about it has been driving me nuts). It seemed to be available in two different colours: silver and dark blue, and had "millenium 2000" or something similar to that printed on it. I've been scouring ebay for a while but none have shown up.

My memory of it is very vague but it was either a prize as part of a competition, a Club Nintendo release, or a Nintendo Power edition. If anyone can remember the name of this controller edition (or anything else) it would be VERY helpful for my N64 FAQ.

floorcat
Elite

6:53 PM - Sep 23, 2006 #25

Whoa... yeah, I've never even heard of that one! (So naturally) it must be retardedly rare. ;)

As for the Hori pad... like alxbly, I'd say it's definitely one of the rarest, as far as 3rd party non-standard controllers go. Although these X2 and Alpha 64 pads seem to have a mild case of "never showing up anywhere, ever."

Deleted User
Deleted User

8:58 PM - Sep 23, 2006 #26

:( I was hoping you might remember it, floorcat. Anyone else remember this annoying rare limited edition?

floorcat
Elite

9:15 PM - Sep 23, 2006 #27

^ I'll check through some old Nintendo Power mags I've got lying around...

Deleted User
Deleted User

9:23 PM - Sep 23, 2006 #28

Thanks mate. I really can't find out anything about it, but people on other forums remember it too. Grrrr... there was one on ebay only about 6 months ago and at the time I thought "Nah, I'll not save that photo, I'll wait for one in better condition"...

<_<

floorcat
Elite

5:57 PM - Sep 25, 2006 #29

Hey alxbly... so, sorry I forgot to post earlier, but this weekend I had thumbed through every page of both years 1999 and 2000 of NP... advertisements, player poll contests, promotions and all, and not a single picture/mention (or anything that was remotely close) had caught my eye. :( Basically, I'm 98% sure there's nothing like what you're looking for within those pages. -_-

It's possible that there might've been a separate contest flyer or catalog sent with the subscriptions (which I unfortunately don't have after ~1998), but I'm beginning to doubt this controller's existence... at least in terms of an association with Nintendo/Nintendo Power. Sorry there...

However, thinking about this controller reminded me of another auction I had seen a few months back... for a pretty rare Japanese controller. Perhaps this might even be the JP equivalent (in terms of rarity)? It was a special release of the official controller, except it had the name/logo of a specific toy/video game store (sticker?) on the front, under the engraved "Nintendo." It was all black, and I want to say the logo was a little lion or something. I wish I could remember which store it was for (the JP equivalent of Funcoland?). The box (which was included, as it was all brand new!) even had "[store name] limited edition" on it somewhere... I think. If not those exact words, then something similar was written on the box, so I'm quite positive it was an "official" release. I just remember the seller had totally miffed up the translation... :rolleyes: At least s/he tried, I suppose... but this translation was horrid!! "[X store] Bros. Controller " turned into something like "[X] Short story roll love rose" :lol: (I thought to message the seller to correct his/her translation... but I felt that would've been a little too pompous. Plus, I didn't want it to be changed!) ;)

Deleted User
Deleted User

6:11 PM - Sep 25, 2006 #30

Thanks for looking floorcat. Well, that's another obscure controller I've gotta find out about... darn. :(

I posted a topic on NTSC-UK a while ago asking about the "2000 edition" (it's name until I can find the right one!). At the time I was sure the controller was dark blue... now I'm not so sure. Ah well, at least I know I'm not just imagining it.

It must be pretty rare to not be able to find out anything about it. :huh: :unsure: :(