Deleted User
Deleted User

July 30th, 2006, 10:17 pm #11

You don't need to go to all that trouble. Do a search for 'ceramic grease' (it's a type of plastic lubricant), or check for some on ebay. If you put some on the inside of the analogue stick it'll slow down the wear to an unnoticeable level. Then you don't have to worry about using third party sticks which often aren't as sensitive as the nintendo ones.

Mmmonkey.co.uk have all the info you need if you're gonna try this out.

floorcat
Elite

July 31st, 2006, 8:51 am #12

Hey dataDyne, if you want to try get a MakoPad for a "joystick implant", I can already tell you I'm 90% sure it won't work! (I'm not 100% because the MakoPad may be slightly different from the SuperPad).

I had thought to do exactly what you were thinking, but upon opening up the SuperPad I had, the joystick was totally different. I think the wires were soldered down, and the tabs to secure the joystick to the controller were incompatible with the one(s) for the official joystick.

But don't let this stop you from getting a MakoPad (or SuperPad)... it should be a decent controller by itself.

... And sorry everyone who might be waiting for my controller review/pictures... I've been working on it, honest!

(silence)

Does anyone care?? :unsure:

(silence)

:blink:

j/k ^_^

dataDyne
Elite

July 31st, 2006, 9:10 am #13

alxbly wrote: You don't need to go to all that trouble. Do a search for 'ceramic grease' (it's a type of plastic lubricant), or check for some on ebay. If you put some on the inside of the analogue stick it'll slow down the wear to an unnoticeable level. Then you don't have to worry about using third party sticks which often aren't as sensitive as the nintendo ones.

Mmmonkey.co.uk have all the info you need if you're gonna try this out.
I would do that if I had a relatively new N64 controller, but unfortunately I don't. This means that if I did lubricate my joystick (NOTHING SUSS :blink: ) it would stay somewhat loose, so there is no point in doing that. If Nintendo of Australia sold N64 controllers on their web site (why does the US always get what we don't?) I would buy one in a heartbeat. Then I could apply some ceramic grease to the joystick every year or so and have a perfect controller for years! But that will probably never happen.....
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 31st, 2006, 7:33 pm #14

I'm faced with the same problem, dataDyne. Nintendo UK don't have an online store, so I can't get my controllers from them. What I end up doing is importing them from sites like Play-asia.com. Just now they have brand new boxed controllers in clear purple and red/clear, just like my new N64! Sorry, had to get that last bit in.... :)

If you register with them then it'll show the price for your country (AUS dollars?). I've ordered a few things from them now, the service is excellent. Worth a thought if you're finding it difficult to get decent controllers.

floorcat
Elite

August 13th, 2006, 10:02 am #15

I'd also like to throw in a few good words for play-asia.com... like alxbly said, their service is truly excellent... and their shipping speed is ridiculously fast (esp. if you choose the express one, but I've heard their "regular" shipping is still really decent). In my past experience, this is probably the best & easiest way to get (current) import games (or import anything video-game-related)... and if you pre-order a soon-to-be-released import title and choose the shipping option with tracking (the "fast" one previously mentioned), chances are high that you'll receive the game no later than a day after its release!!

The only thing kind of tedious & annoying I ran into ordering through them (but this also shows their high level of service) was that since one of my orders was pretty big (i.e. expensive), they requested either a special credit card verification, or scanned images of a photo ID and the front/back of the credit card I was using, both with my visible signature. The verification wasn't working at the time (which made me feel pretty insecure already) and sending the images sounded WAAAAAAY sketchball, but they said I could black out any info except for the signatures and the first & last few numbers of the card, which I did... "and the rest was history."

*continues to think about getting one/both of the two-tone clear N64s* <_<

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 16th, 2006, 8:22 pm #16

Just get them both. It'll make you happy. Look at my smiling face: :D

See, it works.

floorcat
Elite

August 17th, 2006, 4:41 am #17

^ Oh, I certainly don't doubt it!

... It'll lighten my wallet too!! :D Stupid heavy wallets... just bulging with all this annoying money. Pfffft.

floorcat
Elite

September 16th, 2006, 11:04 pm #18

"Hi, yeah, I'd like to make a reservation... uh-huh, yeah... yeah, I know you guys are located in ****MeSoHardWithWorkThatIBleedOutMyEars-ville, but I'm gonna be there for the next 3 months. Great. Yeah, and you guys do have the 'Pay-per-Play' service in your rooms, right? Excellent. Yeah, I know using it's not allowed in your town... but I'm only there to take pictures of it. Great, thank you so much!"

Sonny64
Sonny64

September 20th, 2006, 12:55 am #19

Is the hori controller too sensitive for a rumble pak?

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 20th, 2006, 3:30 am #20

No, it works fine with a rumble pak. When Floorcat and I talk about the stick being sensistive we really only mean that the stick needs less movement to make it work. I assume you've read both of our reviews, but if not you can find Floorcat's review here and my review here. Just click those links. :)

The sensitivity of the stick is something we disagree on; I think it's fine, Floorcat thinks it's too sensitive. I've had no problems using the hori pad with rumble pak. I dunno if Floorcat thinks that this affects the controller in any way, but I guess he'll let us know. ^_^

If you're interested there's a few Hori pads for sale on ebay (or there was a while ago). Check out the Ebay topic, there's a link to the auctions there.