Conkers Bad Fur Day

May 1st, 2007, 11:56 pm #1

So what did everyone think of Conker's Bad Fur Day?

I thought it was a refreshing take on a genre that had too many games released with the same basic formula. I thought the mature humor added enough to make it worth re-playing again and again. And the multiplayer modes were great. Well... the war and beach ones, anyways. I could never get into the other ones, like the tanks or the heist. Though the raptor one wasn't too bad. :lol:

May 3rd, 2007, 9:15 pm #2

Anyone...? :unsure: :-/

dataDyne
Elite

May 3rd, 2007, 9:49 pm #3

I've never played much of the single player, but I did play a fair bit of multiplayer with my friends back around 2002 (I think). As far as I remember the multiplayer was very impressive, considering I had such low expectations for it. Kind of reminded me of Banjo Tooie's multiplayer mode, but with added weapons and violence.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

dagoss
Elite

May 3rd, 2007, 10:10 pm #4

Colors and death match were pretty fun. Single player was an absolute riot. Remember this?

I'll be sure to replay this when I get back home and am reunited with my N64 -- but over the summer I won't have Internet access, so you'll probably never hear about my experiences :(

Deleted User
Deleted User

May 3rd, 2007, 10:44 pm #5

Conker is a classic. My favorite bits include using urine as a weapon, the beach landing and the matrix level. Bring it! :D

May 4th, 2007, 1:43 pm #6

I loved that one boss that was a furnace, and you had to use bricks to, errrr, hurt him. :lol:

Kerr Avon
Kerr Avon

May 5th, 2007, 1:03 pm #7

There's a lot you can say about CBFD. It has arguably the best graphics and sound on the N64, it's possibly the funniest non-adventure game ever, it shows just what both the N64 and the cartridge format can do, it showed that cutscenes generated by the in-game engine could be just as good if not better than pre-rendered cutscenes (this last point had been demostrated before, but never as well as in CBFD), and it proved that Nintendo consoles could host adult games. Well, smutty teenage games, anyway :)

Regarding the single player game, apart from being sometimes very funny (and sometimes just unfunny or borderline disgusting), it had a very inventive string of story and gameplay scenes and was very enjoyable. It was, however, a little too easy, sometimes tedious, and the in-game camera suffered from the occasional bad positioning.

The multiplayer, though, is what gives the game it's nearly unmatched replayability. Beach is a lot of fun, as is Heist (although you don't really play Heist according to the rules, it's much more fun just to keep beating up your oponents than to actually capture the bag), and War: Total War is brilliant. But it's War: Colours, that really lifts CBFD into the playability stratosphere. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent playing Total War: Colours, just me and the bots. It's quite simply the best Team Fortress style game I've ever seen, and encapsulates all that made Rare so great. It takes place on a superb map (more maps would be fantastic, but one superb map is worth ten so-so maps), with great weapons, and it has the brilliant-but-simple feature whereby unlike in every other Team Fortress style game, you don't choose your class (and hence your weapons and abilities) before starting, but your abilities change according to the weapon you pick up (you can only carry one). This removes the irritating limitation of other Team Fotress games, and really transforms the game. Pick up a bazooka, and you move really slowly (when armed) and can't jump. Pick up the throwing knives, and you can jump and move fast. Pick up most guns and you can't jump. Pick up the Katana (the sword) and you can fall extra far without dying, and you don't appear on your opponents radar. It's such a brilliant feature, and yet no subsequent Team Fortress style game has adopted this system.

I'm not too keen on the other multiplayer games. Raptor is alright, but unbalanced. Tank is OK, but suffers from the gas canister being too tempting (even if you don't get it, all of the other players and bots will try), meaning that actual tank vs. tank combat doesn't occur as much you'd like, and when it does, a non-combatant makes immediately for the gas canister.

I don't play Race at all, as I'm not a real fan of race games, plus it's rather limited and samey, if you ask me.

Deathmatch is fun, but the fact that it's every man for himself weakens it (there should be an option to play team vs. team), and the bots always appear as Tediz, which is a pity, as if they had random skins selected from the skins playable in the other multiplayer modes, then it would be more interesting. This is my major complaint about all of the modes (except Race, which I never play), there aren't enough user definable Options. There are some, including skill settings, and game limits, but I'd prefer more. Such as an option in War: Colours so that when one team captured the flag, then the players' positions weren't all reset (you just get to a good sniping spot, especially with the bazooka, and then someone captures the flag, and you are mmediately returned to your base, with no weapon). And all modes should have an "infinite time and infinite score" option, so that the game doesn't end until you manually end it. Plus I'd like to be able to play all modes in first person. Perhaps asking for a lot, but I can retrospectively post my wishes. Plus I was hoping that Conker: Live and reloaded on the XBox would have the same multiplayer modes, but with more options. Instead Rare removed the N64 multiplayer game modes altogether, and added a new multiplayer section, which I don't like much at all, and is immeasurably inferior to the N64's.

May 10th, 2007, 1:34 pm #8

One thing I didn't like was how Conker couldn't fall from very high without losing a piece of chocolate (health).

May 10th, 2007, 11:45 pm #9

Mop, you've got that CBFD kit thing, right? What's the story with that? Was it a promo item or a "collector's edition"? I don't remember seeing it offered back when the game was released.

Mop it up
Guardian

May 17th, 2007, 4:34 pm #10

Rapueda wrote: Mop, you've got that CBFD kit thing, right? What's the story with that? Was it a promo item or a "collector's edition"? I don't remember seeing it offered back when the game was released.
I haven't really been able to find much information on it. There was an eBay auction for one that said it was a special kit given to game stores, and this seems likely. The VHS tape contains a 3-minute gameplay video that showcases many scenes from the game, and I think it was meant for a store display because it ends with "Coming March 5th." It shows quite a few scenes from near the end of the game, so I'm glad I didn't watch it before I played the game. The pill bottle was said to originally contain jelly beans, but it was empty when I got it. What's missing from my set is a t-shirt that had the same "Conker's Bad Fur Day" text that appears on the game's label. Also missing is the paper insert, although I don't know what it had written on it. Evidence seems to suggest it was intended for game stores like GameStop: The video was to be put on a display TV, the employee was to wear the shirt, and the game was to be put out for test-playing. Not sure what the pills were for... but again, this is mostly speculation; I don't have any confirmation on what it was used for.

Now, as for the game itself: is anyone else disappointed that there are still a couple of things that are censored in this game? I mean, if you're going to create a game like this, you might as well go all the way. It makes me wonder if Nintendo still put a little restriction on the game, not allowing the F-Bomb. Or maybe... this game was made in England, right? Is the F-Word an even bigger taboo there than it is in the US?