Composite/Svideo to HDMI Converter?

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

January 21st, 2014, 6:41 pm #1

Hi guys,

So hooking up my N64 through composite (tv doesn't have s video) looks like dog pop. I mean bad. My tv a 32 westinghouse obviously has a crap upscaler.

Do these external converters upscale better? Anyone know?

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-video ... s=upscaler

mjwatts26
mjwatts26

January 21st, 2014, 6:51 pm #2

I'd like to know if anyone has tried this product as well. Reviews seem mostly good. But there are complaints about lag and the picture being stretched into a 16:9 aspect ratio, which could be a deal breaker.

floorcat
Elite

January 21st, 2014, 6:58 pm #3

I'm pretty happy with mine... and according to Amazon, that is the exact one I had purchased a few years back. I don't know how it compares to a regular composite connection (as none of my TVs support composite), but as I'd mentioned in the other thread, the image quality is decent (not as nice as a regular CRT because of lacking scanlines), but still very playable. Not that you'll really be able to tell, but here's a bunch of screens I took for my Winback completion for the Game-Off:
[+] Spoiler

No64DD
Elite

January 21st, 2014, 7:09 pm #4

I hate it when things look like dog pop!

I would recommend a composite to component conversion. If that is possible. That way you could determine the quality with GOLD connections.
A Secret star
lie here~

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

January 21st, 2014, 7:24 pm #5

no64dd wrote:I hate it when things look like dog pop!

I would recommend a composite to component conversion. If that is possible. That way you could determine the quality with GOLD connections.
The thing is a lot of TV's are removing the Component connections as well.

The lag might be a deal breaker. I'm tempted to buy it and try it.

No64DD
Elite

January 21st, 2014, 7:37 pm #6

that figures!

Then maybe the price is right now for GOLD component cables.
A Secret star
lie here~

Grimakis
Grimakis

March 19th, 2015, 11:54 am #7

Hi,

I recommend the xRGB mini Framemeister. Unlike most TVs and many scalers, it can properly distinguish between 240p and 480i. It looks fantastic with s-video. It outputs HDMI in 480p, 720p, and 1080p, as well as some interlaced formats also. It accepts Component(with adapter), composite, HDMI, s-video, and RGB scart(with adapter).

With today's exchange rate, it costs about $330 dollars, but its worth it.

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

March 19th, 2015, 5:46 pm #8

I agree - the XRGB-mini will look better, but bear in mind that it has lag of around 16ms (1 frame). If you find out how fast your TV is in ms and add it to that, you'll have the total lag. Very fast HDTVs are around 16ms as well (i.e. the Sony w6/7).

If you're sensitive to lag, you definitely don't want to go above 32ms of total lag, so your TV will need to be very fast indeed if you want to pair it with an XRGB. Websites like displaylag.com have databases where you should be able to find your TV's lag value.

Grimakis
Grimakis

March 19th, 2015, 6:36 pm #9

andykara2003 wrote:I agree - the XRGB-mini will look better, but bear in mind that it has lag of around 16ms (1 frame). If you find out how fast your TV is in ms and add it to that, you'll have the total lag. Very fast HDTVs are around 16ms as well (i.e. the Sony w6/7).

If you're sensitive to lag, you definitely don't want to go above 32ms of total lag, so your TV will need to be very fast indeed if you want to pair it with an XRGB. Websites like displaylag.com have databases where you should be able to find your TV's lag value.
True, however you are missing one step in that equation:

Framemeister Lag + TV Lag - TV Lag caused by scaling to TV's native resolution.

I've yet to test it, but if the Framemeister's lag is less than the lag in your TV's internal scaling, it should cause an overall lag reduction.

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

March 19th, 2015, 7:16 pm #10

I was basing this on the inherent lag of the TV via HDMI. The XRGB+TV might be faster overall than the Portta+TV upscaler but the fact is that the majority of HDTVs will have significant lag in gaming terms even if provided with an HD signal. Add this to the 16ms XRGB mini & you have a laggy setup. I wouldn't consider an XRGB unless I had a TV that was lightning fast through HDMI. The really savvy XRGB mini owners buy their TVs purposely for this - here's a good example. Personally, even 30ms total lag is too slow for me. My plasma has under a frame of lag & I only use it for HD gaming.

For anyone on this forum looking into getting great looking, low lag setups, the best place to go is the Shmups forum. Fudoh has a wealth of information on this.

Personally I prefer CRT for 15Khz any day - especially for the N64. The N64 just doesn't look right through an XRGB in my opinion, unlike just about everything else 240p..