Cleaning N64 carts

brown duckz
brown duckz

July 16th, 2012, 11:50 pm #1

I'd like to carefully clean some of my carts that aren't perfect. Some of them have very thin amounts of residue or marks that will come clean if scrubbed/wiped.

What's the best products/method while also being extra careful not to ruin/tarnish the labels? What about getting into the two crevices that are about 1" from each end of the cart?

Thanks in advance!
I currently own humble, but nice collections of NTSC-U; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii

Currently taking a break from a 2012 collecting binge.

Norcal
Norcal

July 16th, 2012, 11:52 pm #2

Goo Gone & Rubbing Alchohol work for me.

Mk II
Elite

July 17th, 2012, 8:25 am #3

I use bio-ethanol to clean the cart housing. It will remove most felt-tip wrting, sticker residue and dirt without much effort.
Use a soaked Q-tip to get into the crevices.
CAVEAT: ethanol will also happily remove the ink from the label so you have to be VERY careful when using it.

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

July 18th, 2012, 4:46 am #4

Mk II wrote:I use bio-ethanol to clean the cart housing. It will remove most felt-tip wrting, sticker residue and dirt without much effort.
Use a soaked Q-tip to get into the crevices.
CAVEAT: ethanol will also happily remove the ink from the label so you have to be VERY careful when using it.
+1

towin
towin

January 2nd, 2013, 10:35 pm #5

how do you clean the inside thing. i use to blow in it but then i found a label that said not to do that.
link: he has bombs but still needs keys to open locked doors

serge85
serge85

January 3rd, 2013, 1:07 am #6

I open them, and use a little of metal polisher on the contacts, after that they look and work (no more blowing :D ) like new.

Mk II
Elite

January 4th, 2013, 1:14 am #7

the inside? i suppose you mean the contact strips.
Same procedure really, but i start off with rubbing them with a pen eraser; this will remove any built-up grime and gunk.
Then i clean the contacts with some alcohol or bio-ethanol.
Works every time.

here's a before-and-after pic of a "broken" NES cart i cleaned back to life (the picture doesnt do the shiny clean contacts justice, they look better IRL )

justinwebb
justinwebb

January 4th, 2013, 1:45 am #8

might have to try the whole pen eraser thing as I have a few that dont work on the first try. I dont have any bio ethanol with isopropyl work? I have some 91% stuff that works fairly well

brown duckz
brown duckz

January 4th, 2013, 6:07 am #9

Since posting this thread, I've become a pro.

Here's some of my work:

I currently own humble, but nice collections of NTSC-U; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii

Currently taking a break from a 2012 collecting binge.

Mk II
Elite

January 5th, 2013, 12:17 am #10

amazing what can be done, eh? looks so much smarter that way
wrote:isopropyl ?
yes, thats fine too. or "rubbing alcohol" or even Windex if you havent got anything else.
as long as it is something that evaporates fairly quicky; liquids and electronics dont play nice together.

but in my experience, ethanol is the most effective in removing all sorts of ink and glue residue.
It also is very good against those pesky foil stickers you often find on ex-rental carts.
it just seems to eat it all up !