Randomgeek
Established Member
Randomgeek
Established Member

6:32 PM - Feb 17, 2013 #11

Wow, I really have to get some of those Magic Erasers... I tried to do some cleaning with rubbing alocohol earlier today but some of my games I got used are just so gunked up with magic marker and stuff. Hope I can get them looking as good as Brown Duckz did.

7:09 AM - Feb 25, 2013 #12

I have Been using DeoxIT Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator for the cartridge connectors and its been great so far, although probably a more expensive option for cleaning the contacts!

I Came, I Saw, I Conker

Phantom
Veteran

7:23 AM - Feb 25, 2013 #13

That turned out really brown duckz, im going to have to try out a few of the suggestions on some of my carts.

Mk II
Elite

11:00 PM - Feb 26, 2013 #14

DeOxit is a bad idea. way too expensive and most of their products are far too oily and leave a "lubricating" residue that will only attract more dirt.
A big bottle of ethanol can be had for less than 2 dollars and will literally last you a lifetime.

11:32 PM - Feb 26, 2013 #15

wrote:DeOxit is a bad idea. way too expensive and most of their products are far too oily and leave a "lubricating" residue that will only attract more dirt.
A big bottle of ethanol can be had for less than 2 dollars and will literally last you a lifetime.
I tried DeOxit because I get it free through my work, but ill have to keep an eye on dirt build up as i have cleaned carts with DeOxit & Isopropyl 'rubbing' Alcohol :)
I Came, I Saw, I Conker

Randomgeek
Established Member
Randomgeek
Established Member

5:19 PM - Mar 17, 2013 #16

I tried using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my game cartidges yesterday, and they worked like a charm. There's not a trace of the permanent marker left on the games now. I'd highly recommend using them to anyone looking to get marker off of an N64 Cartridge.

Mk II
Elite

12:05 AM - Mar 18, 2013 #17

wrote: Proctor & Gamble’s Magic Eraser® is made of a melamine resin foam called Basotect® (manufactured by BASF). On curing, the melamine resin becomes almost as hard as glass, which allows it to act like extremely fine sandpaper as the foam eraser rubs the particles of dirt from the surface. Basotect® remains soft and supple due to the structure of the foam created by adding water. When water is added, the very fine airy structure (that you can only see under a microscope) creates a surface that makes the dirt stick to it.

So it works 2 ways:
1. The foam eraser acts like extremely fine sandpaper and rubs the dirt from the surface.
2. The nature of the foam makes the dirt stick to it.

And, like a pencil eraser, the foam gets used up as it’s used.

Here’s why you should be careful. Anything that works like sandpaper will not only rub the dirt from the surface, but with a soft surface that can be scratched, it will also damage the surface. I tested the Magic Eraser® on walls painted with eggshell latex paint. Yes, it took the dirt away. It also took the sheen from the paint surface. It also took some of the colour from the paint surface. High gloss latex paint? It removes the gloss. Varnished surfaces? Don’t even think about using it.
in other words: don't rub it like crazy

SicCooper
Veteran

12:41 AM - Mar 18, 2013 #18

Dont use magic eraser on NES games, as they have a textured surface to them, and the magic eraser grinds it down smooth. Its not a big issue on n64 games because they are already smooth, but it really is like using very fine sand paper. I wouldn't recommend using it on SNES or NES games.

Mk II
Elite

7:12 PM - Mar 18, 2013 #19

and NEVER use them on a N64 console as they are very easily scratched.

I once tried to clean a console with one of those synthetic spongy pan scourers... bad idea!
One swipe and it was totally ruined - still sold it though :)

Randomgeek
Established Member
Randomgeek
Established Member

2:28 PM - Mar 20, 2013 #20

Thanks a lot for the info, MK and SicCooper. I probably would have tried them on my Gameboy games with permanent marker on them if I hadn't checked this thread first.