Acrof
Acrof

8:16 PM - Nov 11, 2013 #21

Well, it looks like it has one those video chips that are harder to mod to RGB, so sad. xD

I wonder if it's possible to "revert" it to NTSC, I don't really like it being a PAL-M unit, this standard is known for having low fidelity with colors... Most TVs nowadays work with anything you throw at them anyways.

Or maybe I should just buy a new motherboard (NTSC-U), with an easier to mod video chip? Hmmm... :eh:

clarky_n64
Veteran

9:07 AM - Nov 12, 2013 #22

To make it like US console just change the PIF (M)-NUS chip for one that comes from a US or JPN console PIF-NUS (I think). You shouldn't need to change the oscillating clock as it's already running at the right speed for NTSC format.

Interestingly, that is first time I've ever seen an N64 with a PIF(M) chip on it, the (M) obviously meaning PAL-M.

Thanks for sharing your pics :yeah:

Acrof
Acrof

3:40 PM - Nov 12, 2013 #23

clarky_n64 wrote:To make it like US console just change the PIF (M)-NUS chip for one that comes from a US or JPN console PIF-NUS (I think). You shouldn't need to change the oscillating clock as it's already running at the right speed for NTSC format.

Interestingly, that is first time I've ever seen an N64 with a PIF(M) chip on it, the (M) obviously meaning PAL-M.

Thanks for sharing your pics :yeah:
As I said before, PAL-M works at 60hz, that's why the oscillating clock is the same as the NTSC.

Well, I guess is still easier to replace the whole motherboard then. As we don't come across NTSC-U consoles here that often. xD

The main reason I want a NTSC unit isn't even the colors, but because my Pokemon Stadium displays an unusual behavior when you go to the GB Tower to run a Gameboy game...

The screen is displayed more to the right, so it's not correctly centered. And that pisses me off as I like to play gameboy games on TV, using my N64. I dunno if that's a problem related to the PAL-M console, or if it's related to the latest PCB designs no matter the area.

And I know the problem isn't on the cartridge, as I've seen it running in a NTSC console before, and the screen was perfectly aligned on the GB Tower.

kogumelow

1:38 AM - Nov 27, 2013 #24

Hey guys, I am also from Brazil and did some research around the N64 and I would like to complete some info given in this topic.

GRADIENTE did make national version of the N64, but it got on the market late and we alredy had tons of N64's of NTSC modded to M-PAL. To do this mod it's very simple, just take an NTSC console, change the crystal to the corresponding frequency and change the voltage on one of the pins of the U8 chips (sorry, I am not at home and can't remember what pin is it). It's important to say NTSC consoles and M-PAL ones have the SAME PIF, I may post some pics.

One question I saw on the topics was: Do the N64 run both PAL and NTSC games. I own NTSC games, PAL games and a brazilian N64. The answer is, NO, the brazilian version of the consoles runs JUST NTSC games, sadly.

Sadly, as far as I know, the brasilian version of the N64 has just the rev-1, that means you can't do any serius trimming on the boards or anything. Thta is only important if you are interested in portables.

Hope this adds some info to the topic. Thanks.

Tyree_Cooper
Established Member
Tyree_Cooper
Established Member

1:20 AM - Feb 16, 2014 #25

It's pretty cool that the Brazilian version was actually manufactured in Brazil :yeah:

I wonder if EVERYTHING of it was though, or just the plastic parts? What about the mobo and chips?

Boomdiers
Veteran

4:11 AM - Feb 16, 2014 #26

Interesting Brazil nintendo 64
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC

FreoGuy
Established Member
FreoGuy
Established Member

8:40 AM - Feb 16, 2014 #27

So it plays NTSC Games and pal?

Nillew
Established Member
Nillew
Established Member

8:15 PM - Apr 03, 2014 #28

FreoGuy wrote:So it plays NTSC Games and pal?
Only NTSC-US/BR... or using adapters. This I can't confirm now, I never used.

-----

@Acrof Legal :D ! Thanks for sharing this information and images. I'm also Brazilian :P
And I just knew N64 games and accessories. Had never seen the console.
Just another admirer of the best videogame of all time =D

Martin64
Established Member
Martin64
Established Member

12:04 AM - Apr 18, 2014 #29

Acrof wrote:Well, it looks like it has one those video chips that are harder to mod to RGB, so sad. xD

I wonder if it's possible to "revert" it to NTSC, I don't really like it being a PAL-M unit, this standard is known for having low fidelity with colors... Most TVs nowadays work with anything you throw at them anyways.

Or maybe I should just buy a new motherboard (NTSC-U), with an easier to mod video chip? Hmmm... :eh:
Such amazing stuff, Acrof! Really interesting. The nearest I ever got to having 'exotic' Nintendo stuff was that I had a Hong Kong version of Ocarina of Time, fully-boxed. Got rid of it though, since I wanted the gold cartridge. As for your lamenting PAL - I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard that the colours are better on PAL and vice-versa. I think the truth is that, with most stuff - PAL is just better, higher resolution, and better colour reproduction (to the point where movie directors used to refer to NTSC as "Never The Same Colour"). About the only 'disadvantage' it had was it's frequency of 50Hz vs 60Hz.. but what you have is referred to as 'PAL60' over here (I'm from England). PAL colours, NTSC refresh frequency and resolution.

But with a lot of retro games, the extra resolution of PAL was not utilized, as they already optimized their engine as much as they could for NTSC. Rendering those extra hundred lines of pixels was often out of the question, especially if they wanted to keep the speed up. Many games were even slower with borders. Rareware were amazing on the N64 with their PAL conversions. Nintendo were initially total crap, but started getting better (PAL Mario 64 has big borders and is slow, Zelda has no borders, but is slow etc). Thus, many PAL games up to (and not including) the start of the HD era were shadows of their NTSC selves. The further you go back, the worse it gets. I've never personally-seen a PAL-optimized game from the 8-bit era, and have only noticed a few from the 16-bit era which are speed-corrected (but none that are full-screen).

As for whether to get a new motherboard for your console - don't bother. If you're going to do that, then just buy an NTSC console. I have two myself (one American launch N64, and one Japanese gold edition), and I reside in good old PAL50 land! If I can get an NTSC N64 - you definitely can. That way you don't have to defile your lovely Brazilian console. A regular NTSC N64 of no particular rarity/merit, unboxed, shouldn't cost you a great deal. But why bother? Your console already runs American games, yes? I dare say you would notice no tangible difference between PAL60 (or 'PAL-M' as you call it) and NTSC. Both the same resolution (525 lines), same refresh rate. PAL60 just has 'better' colours, but I'm sure the difference would be null on a modern television.

I'm pretty sure what happened with your N64 is that it was not made in Brazil, but merely assembled there by Gradiente so that they could apply their own stickers and various other signage on the console and included documentation. They're probably just regular NTSC machines at heart, thus running American games. I wonder, would your actual Brazilian cartridges work in my NTSC consoles? I bet they would.

Trivia: When the Dreamcast launched in Europe, is was the first console to get around the PAL 'barrier' (borders, 17% slower) via a 60Hz mode built into the PAL console. This mode was actually 'PAL60', and not NTSC. The PAL PS2 included a similar mode, but this was actually NTSC and not PAL60. This is why hardly any PAL PS2 games have the 60Hz feature, as it meant any FMVs had to be stored twice on the disc, as the colour-encoding for PAL and NTSC is a primary difference. By going with PAL60 instead of NTSC, there were not many Dreamcast games that didn't offer a 60Hz mode.

brun0ls
brun0ls

6:59 PM - Aug 25, 2014 #30

I had one of these, I'm also brazilian :D