Best way to enjoy the N64 on HDTV

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

January 16th, 2014, 6:29 pm #1

Hi Guys,

My 1st time posting here! Just found this amazing site yesterday.

I have an HDTV and wanted to know what gives me the best picture quality when I plug in my N64.

It know composite will look like crap.

Suggestions?

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 16th, 2014, 6:32 pm #2

Here in the U.S. all the cool kids use S-Video. :)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

January 16th, 2014, 6:55 pm #3

Here in the U.S. all the cool kids use S-Video. :)

My HDTV doesn't have S video.

Only HDMI, Composite, Component, and the VGA.

madafsta123

January 17th, 2014, 5:42 am #4

My hdtv doesn't have an s video port either it's only a 24 inch so the games are playable but there Is a bit of quality sacrifice. Using the expansion pack helps as it boots the resolution of the console

plushpile
Established Member
plushpile
Established Member

January 17th, 2014, 6:07 am #5

madafsta123 wrote:Using the expansion pack helps as it boots the resolution of the console
Only on some games

Blinkshot
Established Member
Blinkshot
Established Member

January 17th, 2014, 1:28 pm #6

I'd actually really enjoy others opinions on this matter as I don't get crisp images now that I upgraded to my new TV.
My gaming youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlinkshotProductions
(Does not deal with collecting)
NTSC Controllers: 13/16

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 17th, 2014, 6:25 pm #7

The biggest obstacle facing the N64 hardware going forward is the fact that standard definition televisions are now defunct. People can continue to enjoy the software via emulation but the days of playing N64 games on an actual Nintendo 64 may very well be drawing to a close.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

mjwatts26
mjwatts26

January 17th, 2014, 6:44 pm #8

Grizzmeister wrote:The biggest obstacle facing the N64 hardware going forward is the fact that standard definition televisions are now defunct. People can continue to enjoy the software via emulation but the days of playing N64 games on an actual Nintendo 64 may very well be drawing to a close.
Now is as good of time as any to find a CRT TV for dirt cheap or even for free. Emulation is great but I still prefer to play on an actual N64.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

January 17th, 2014, 6:46 pm #9

Blinkshot wrote:I'd actually really enjoy others opinions on this matter as I don't get crisp images now that I upgraded to my new TV.
I have heard and mentioned (but never myself tested) that a DVD player can be used to upscale the imagine of a N64 on an HDTV.

Some older DVD players have AV and/or S-Video inputs and HDMI outputs. They were also designed to "upscale" regular DVDs to display better on HDTVs. This is the type of DVD player I am referring to.

I think I actually have one of these that does not play DVDs anymore, so I should try it out and see if it upscales (and therefore warrants the space it takes up in my home).

On a related note, I just got a cool new wifi blue-ray player and guess what? Ports are strictly HDMI.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

floorcat
Elite

January 17th, 2014, 7:50 pm #10

I think your best bet would be to just find an old, nice CRT. One of my friends (whose opinion I regard very, very highly - especially when it comes to tech stuff like this) spent literally dozens of hours (and who knows how much money) trying to find the perfect solution, and in the end, conceded that a nice CRT is really the absolute best in terms of picture quality and minimal input lag.

I have my N64 & SNES hooked up to my HDTV with S-video (to an S-video to HDMI upscaler). The image quality is okay... not the best, but def. very playable, so I can't complain.