Beginning the N64 collection journey

Darkham
Darkham

February 8th, 2017, 11:18 pm #1

Hey All,

After seeing some collections I've decided to start collecting myself.

Having played the console so much as a kid, the N64 will forever have a place in my heart.

Have a few questions for collectors in U.K. and Europe..

Mainly where to buy - only places I have found are eBay, CEX and retro stores (issue with this is they all know the prices too well)... £110 for Conkers BFD seems extortionate...

Then I come to the crossroads of do I want the box, or do I go customs cases from that US website..

Hoping you will all be able to pass on your wisdom. Please see my current collection below (which I dug out of my parents loft today..)

Let me know your thoughts :)

https://imageshack.us/i/poHn4LwNj

bluedogrulez
Guardian

February 9th, 2017, 11:29 am #2

Welcome aboard, Darkham! Nice attic find...looks like your collection was pretty well preserved!

I'm partial to the custom cases because it's a far cheaper alternative and creasing boxes pains my soul, lol. Also promotes uniformity with other systems (evident from my Gallery page). But to each his own. Enjoy the journey!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Darkham
Darkham

February 9th, 2017, 1:16 pm #3

Thanks for replying, BlueDog.

Just taken a look at your gallery, love the green N64 - think you may have swayed me with the cases. Completely agree with creases haha, would have to fork out for the mint boxes (which I'm not too sure I want to shell out for right now)

Having a Mario Party party this weekend - excited to tear up my palm winding that shy guy..

Milage007
Elite

February 9th, 2017, 8:43 pm #4

Welcome to the forum Darkham. Looks like you have a nice collection to start you off. Given what you have already, it's not a bad option to go down the cart only route. So much cheaper. I'm going for CIB, as minty as possible, and I too am a UK owner, and it certainly isn't cheap! One cheeky work around I use is buying US NTSC games as they are far cheaper than the PAL counterpart (particularly for the rarer titles), and the box art is far better in my opinion. I have a US NTSC N64 as well as my original PAL console from back in the day (plus a few extra colourful ones).

Enjoy it! I started off slowly and now really enjoy adding a new game into my collection!

As for where to go, also try car boot sales, especially when the weather gets better. After the other week, I am a big supporter of retro game stores, I found a way underpriced gem in a retro store and I will be going back there for sure to try find more like it!

See you around.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Darkham
Darkham

February 9th, 2017, 9:58 pm #5

Thanks, Milage!

My feeling is I will go cart only - picking up CIB when I see a good deal. I will keep posting updates over time to see how I progress. I just love collecting - although my wallet and girlfriend aren't as excited by it.

As for US artwork to PAL I'm divided - smash bros for US is superior, whereas OoT PAL is much cleaner to me.

Thanks for the advice, heading to a car boot Sunday so will post any finds (fingers crossed)

:)

MymeeN64
MymeeN64

February 10th, 2017, 12:00 am #6

Welcome fellow collector!! :applause:

How exciting it must of been getting down all your old stuff. That ultra64 looks awesome. Great start!

I cant wait to go to garage sales. I guess its similar to car boots? Hunting is half the fun.
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

kartmaster
Veteran

February 10th, 2017, 3:20 am #7

Great foundation to build on! You've already got some great games there! Just set your sights on one thing at a time, and go after it!

Darkham
Darkham

February 10th, 2017, 8:33 pm #8

Hi Mymee! Thank you for the welcome. Must admit, it all came back to me when I brought it all down! If I'm honest, I'm not too sure what the Ultra 64 actually does.
Yeah it is - the hunt is most of the fun for me :)

Thanks, Kartmaster - great advice !!

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

February 10th, 2017, 9:24 pm #9

Welcome to the site man. You're in good company because we've got a lot of very supportive collectors around. See ya around and I'll let you know how Creed goes :yeah: