Any exclusive N64 gamers?

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

July 19th, 2017, 6:14 pm #1

I noticed that some of the guys here play a *lot* of N64 games which I find awesome. It got me wondering - are there any on here that play exclusively or nearly exclusively N64 games, ignoring current or other platforms?

Just curiosity really. I play current games quite a bit so don't get to play as much N64 stuff as I'd like - and as I say, the thought that there might be gamers still exclusively steeped in the world of N64 games seems awesome to me.

kartmaster
Veteran

July 19th, 2017, 8:48 pm #2

If I HAD to pick one system it would be N64 for sure. But I am pretty much exclusively Nintendo these days. Can't keep up with everything anymore. Probably played more N64 this month than anything else, including Switch!

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

July 19th, 2017, 10:09 pm #3

I might be one of those guys lol. I have been for several months now. I was never steeped in N64 when it came out because I was a toddler but around 2014 I got into this system.

I've stopped counting but I've beaten about 60 games this year and like 50 were N64 games though not all of them were new games I haven't beaten before. I played a couple Nes and Snes games at the beginning of the year and I still occasionally play a game of Smash Bros 4 with my cousin but I'm completely enveloped by N64 at the moment. Due to the high density of games I have beaten and played extensively I was asked to help write the N-Cyclopedia 64 by a good friend of mine, so I'll be busy with N64 for a few more years it seems.

At this point I went on a tirade about how few people want to talk about N64 games that aren't heavy hitters, collectors and video game store owners who know less about their possessions than I do, and my own disappointment for my lack of game talk on the forum lately since I've been putting all my energy into my writing. But I deleted it all because it was very whiny. Point is I like N64 and would like to be a guy people come to when they wonder about games no matter how obscure or crappy they are.

No64DD
Elite

July 19th, 2017, 11:56 pm #4

I second that notion. Everyone on the Ncyclopedia64 project has no choice! It is a requirement, and i consider myself an exclusive N64 player. :n64:

I still haven't got a Switch yet because priorities have changed course, but i do look forward to revisiting certain moments with the SNES Classic.
A Secret star
lie here~

MyBeefCakes
Established Member
MyBeefCakes
Established Member

July 20th, 2017, 10:04 am #5

I play N64 a lot but it seems to be in phases more than anything.

Recently its a lot but i've decided to run through the main Zelda games in order for the I own started with Link to the past, finished OoT and now i'm in the Ikana canyon on Majora's mask. Its a nice refresh as I haven't done Majora's in a while nor Wind Waker but its nice to play mainly only N64 currently.

If only new IPs were still developed I probably would be an exclusive gamer!

Milage007
Elite

July 20th, 2017, 11:15 am #6

I'd be surprised if there are any exclusives full on. I play a lot of N64 but still like to alternate to some moddern gaming for a bit to mix it up.

I'll always game :n64: though I will never let that go.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

July 20th, 2017, 12:53 pm #7

Of course, during it's time, I was all about N64. Everything non-N64 was going against my principles (except for PC games, I've always played those).
The Nintendo magazines that I was reading at the time weren't exactly helping either, adding fuel to the flames by calling out on Dreamcast and PSX (I remember "Greystation" was quite commonly used in UK's NOM), up to ridiculous points, retrospectively.

Also, aside from a handful of games, I didn't like the direction that Nintendo went with the GameCube and refused to spend money on it, resulting in not buying a new console until the Twilight Princess came out (I bought a Wii).

As for nowadays, I'm pretty sure there are no "exclusive" N64 gamers anymore. Perhaps some people that are working on finishing some N64 games, or even a marathon, but that's a different reason. "Exclusive" is pretty much the same as refusing to play anything but the N64. I don't believe such people exist (anymore).

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 20th, 2017, 1:06 pm #8

Yeah, it's hard to imagine anybody being an exclusive N64 gamer nowadays given that it's probably more practical to play on other consoles or the PC. For example, here in the United States it's often substantially cheaper to buy a used Wii with quality games than it is to buy a comparable N64 setup.

I probably play games on my PS4 the most, however, I still enjoy gaming on the N64 occasionally and that's why I keep it hooked up to my CRT TV. Games like Mario Golf, Super Smash Bros. and Wave Race 64 have aged very gracefully and are still fun to play every now and then.
MyBeefCakes wrote:If only new IPs were still developed I probably would be an exclusive gamer!
The same applies to me considering that I mostly prefer arcade style games over the story driven titles that are so prevalent on modern game consoles.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

July 20th, 2017, 10:56 pm #9

If I weren't such a big fighting game fan I probably would play n64 exclusively or at least retro exclusively, but I'm majorly pumped for dragonball fighterz (even getting a new console for it). I do still play Pokémon but I'm not getting a switch to play it. I'll go back to the old games like Stadium 2.

The Wii U era being the first where I purchased the console myself taught me a lot. Mainly that bigger isn't always better, which is why I appreciate the n64 so much and why I'm choosing to invest my money there rather than a switch. I tried to get my mom into Mario Kart with 8 because of the Wii remote steering, but it was sensory overload for her. I don't think mariokart 64 will present that problem.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 21st, 2017, 2:10 pm #10

ItalianBaptist wrote:If I weren't such a big fighting game fan I probably would play n64 exclusively or at least retro exclusively, but I'm majorly pumped for dragonball fighterz (even getting a new console for it).
I'm stoked about Dragon Ball FighterZ too after having watched videos of Maximilian Dood play it at EVO. Which console are you planning on purchasing? I'll be getting DBFZ for the PS4.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer