Annual Awards, seeking input

stinger9142
Guardian

December 10th, 2012, 11:56 pm #1

Often times near years end, many members (myself included) like to do "best of whatever years it is" kind of topics.

We are currently doing a "Nintendo 64 Forever N64 Game of the Year" poll that features our Game of the Month winners for the year. Credit goes to Norcal for the idea :yeah:

Kerr Avon recently started a Game of the year for 2012 for modern games.

So, my question is basically: Do you want to see more of this? I would like for us to have an annual award series of topics.
Obvious polls including:
Nintendo 64 Game of the Year - I want to keep it going as it is this year.
Best game released in that year (all systems)

Other thoughts I have:
Movie of the year
Contributor of the year - Our forum did this a few years ago. I would like to bring it back. I would not want anybody getting their feelings hurt, so I have some ideas about how to do this smoothly. There would be a nomination topic where users would be asked to nominate a single user (non-staff of course). If you back somebody already nominated, state so by nominating them again. The reason being is at he end of the nomination period, the 5 (or so if there is a tie) with the most support would be placed in a poll topic. At the end of the voting, the winner would be crowned our 2012 Contributor of the Year. We have a lot of great members here, and I just feel the need to honor someone that the members as a whole truly appreciate.

I know this is most likely the most controversial proposed idea I am listing here. So I am seeking your all's thoughts on this issue for sure. Do you like the sound of it? Or do you all think it would make people feel snubbed or left out?

Also, does anybody else have any other ideas for an annual award of some kind?

Xephyrian
Veteran

December 11th, 2012, 12:27 am #2

I like all of the ideas proposed except I don't feel like we should put any of the members on a pedestal because I think it's pretty difficult to decide who "did the best" on the forums. This is just my opinion and if other people want it then I won't care too much if it gets implemented.

stinger9142
Guardian

December 11th, 2012, 12:33 am #3

Thank you for your input, Gooman.

I don't mean it as a way to put someone on a pedistal. I just thought it would be nice for members to give a nod to someone they feel is an invaluable .member who makes "quality" posts.

I realize it could be controversial though, that's why I am asking to guage a majority opinion :)

Xephyrian
Veteran

December 11th, 2012, 1:04 am #4

Mmk, I guess I misunderstood. What factors would the winner be judged on?

stinger9142
Guardian

December 11th, 2012, 1:25 am #5

Well it is all up to those who nominate and vote really. I myself would try to look at someone who is:

1st - a consistent poster
2nd - someone who posts quality content
3rd - someone with a good attitude that treats other members with respect.
4th - someone who I can tell honestly cares for this forum.

We have a lot of great members, and it would be tough to choose. At the moment I haven't even tried to narrow down a nomination for if it procceeds.

It is just a thought. If people don't like it that is fine :)
Update: during staff duscussions floorcat really captured the idea I was going for here. He mentioned how senior classes sometimes vote for fun stuff for awards in the class.

He mentioned things like funniest avatar, weirdest username, and ebay watchdog, Game off MVP. You all get the idea.

We could even do things like best avatar or best signature.

If I follow through with this, I will make a temporary new section of the forum for the nominations and polls. I do not want to flood our normal sections with vote offs and what not. After the nominations and polls are done, I would condense them in to 1 topic for each and move them in to the archives or something.

Matt
Elite

December 11th, 2012, 10:02 am #6

I'm not sure I'd like the poster of the year idea, as I feel it may cause some of the other contributor's feel they aren't been fully reconised and give them a negative vibe

stinger9142
Guardian

December 11th, 2012, 11:58 am #7

Thanks for your input, Matt. Back in the day, being nominated would have thrilled me. I hadn't been here very long though. Truthfully it didn't bother me that I wasn't, but that is my personality type. That is why I was curious what you all would think.

Don't forget to weigh in on the other nomination ideas also, especially if you have any award ideas :D

Matt
Elite

December 12th, 2012, 2:52 pm #8

stinger9142 wrote:Thanks for your input, Matt. Back in the day, being nominated would have thrilled me. I hadn't been here very long though. Truthfully it didn't bother me that I wasn't, but that is my personality type. That is why I was curious what you all would think.

Don't forget to weigh in on the other nomination ideas also, especially if you have any award ideas :D
Yeah, it wouldn't bother me,just thinking.

Another idea could be to have a game competition (I imagine this would be hard to do though) and give a award to the winner.

Another idea may be to make a member group for winners (for example the PD champs group from a few years ago)

stinger9142
Guardian

December 12th, 2012, 3:09 pm #9

Thanks again for input, Matt. I could totally go for a game competition provided some members were able to brain storm some ideas to make it work.

I could see "2012 Award Winner" group being a nice thing to do, provided we had enough awards given out to warrant a new group. 4 or 5 would be nice.

Norcal
Norcal

December 12th, 2012, 4:56 pm #10

Just an idea -

In my former MMO clan which I led for around 3 years (now closed), we used to have seasonal awards as well as Member of the Month awards. For the seasonal awards i'd create custom signatures for the winners, and give the Member of the Month winner a special user group for just that month, add their name in the table at the top of the clan's forum (Similar to the table in my N64 theme). It would ususally read "Congratulations to x, *month's* member of the month!". Here's a few examples of the signatures I made for the winners:

Of course alot of the categories are relevant to the MMO, but you get the picture.