ALKATRAZZ

February 26th, 2018, 9:58 am #11

This has been an awesome read!! I think I still have the list of winners I requested from Nintendo as I was a very strange case in winning. I only entered the contest once as the official rules say you can enter as many times as you want(I totally missed this 21 years ago but it is necessary for what I am about to tell you). Well one day in the early summer I got a envelope from Nintendo containing the 5 minute phone card(I still have this). Well we went on vacation that summer and when we got back there was a small plain cardboard box from Nintendo waiting for me(I was honestly surprised that no one took it but again it could have also been delivered the day we got back from vacation. In that box was the gold Mario Kart controller with the congratulations card. I was not expecting that at all. I ended up requesting the list of winners after receiving both just to see how that happened. On the list I was only listed in the section of phone card winners. I still have my Mario Kart controller with the made in Japan up top. I kept the thing in pristine condition and actually never used it more than 2 or 3 times. I treated it as a trophy or like some rare one of a kind item. On top of that I had a few other controllers(1 original gray, 2 black and 1 also barely used DK64 Banana controller) and even to this day I still prefer to use my one all black controller over all the others.

After reading this I am going to have to look for the winners list and take the gold controller apart for research purposes. Honestly I will probably get around to taking apart the controller before I get a chance to dig out the winner list. The good thing is that if I still have the winners list I know exactly where it is in one of 2 locations. If it is not there then I no longer have it.

Here are a few pics showing the controller, the top made in Japan marking, the congrats card outside and inside, and the calling card front and back.

Deadmoneycash

February 26th, 2018, 10:54 am #12

@ Alkatrazz, thanks for your wonderful contribution to the thread! You have further Illustrated the differences that we are discussing thus further separating the MK64GC from its China made tan plastic Replicant.

If you do in fact take apart your MK64GC please take some pictures for us and share them here. I for one personally would be very excited to see at least a 2nd MK64GC opened up and documented here on this thread at Nintendo 64 Forever! It is understandable if you are reluctant to do so as this is your childhood trophy and part of your gamer Legacy. Do only what you're comfortable with. So far your contribution is great! A background story with pictures of confirmation. Wonderful!

ALKATRAZZ

February 26th, 2018, 11:02 am #13

I have taken apart just about every controller I ever owned. The N64 being one of the last of the simplest that I have taken apart. I used to take my black N64 controller apart just to give it a good cleaning and add a small amount of silicone to the stick so that it wouldn't get that powder everywhere. These controllers came apart and went together pretty good so long as the Z button underneath was lined up correctly. I remember there being a way that it would end up mushy and not pop up and down like it should if done incorrectly.

Deadmoneycash

February 26th, 2018, 11:04 am #14

Cabanon wrote:I do have the congratulation card and I did posted it in your welcome thread, you might use it if you want. If you want more :pottymouth:, lemme know.
@ Cabanon, if you could include some pictures here in this thread that would be great! I feel it stands as a greater confirmation for all readers if other people can post there MK64GC here in this thread instead of myself adding someone else's pictures. If you would be so kind to do so? Also if you could make sure you get the stamp on top that should say "Made in Japan". To go the extra mile you could somehow get the made in Japan stamp and congratulations card in one picture. Thus further confirming the two are synonymous with each other.
Houghton0609 wrote:I have a feeling that this might get even more freaky ??
I'd say by Leaps and Bounds!

ALKATRAZZ

February 26th, 2018, 11:09 am #15

Hey I just noticed that if you look at the picture I posted with the top of the controller with the made in Japan on there, if you click it and look at it zoomed in you can clearly see that the inside is gray and not the tan plastic.

Deadmoneycash

February 26th, 2018, 11:13 am #16

Cabanon wrote:
No64DD wrote:
Cabanon wrote:how bout Gold Japanese controllers, are they exactly like the MK64GC ?
Are you referring to the japanese MK64 Gold controller contest?
It would have to be. It's as early as this one, and it's Made In Japan.
Our fellow member Darklink has one, and there are ways to tell without opening it.
:yeah:
no. I meant the standard sold in store controller.

that Japanese Contest i've heard of but the origin of this contest is still very unknown.
To the best of my knowledge all gold N64 controllers that were ever sold on a shelf in Japan are actually stamped on top "Made in China". To the best of my knowledge no gold N64 controller was ever sold on a shelf or rack new from Nintendo stamped with "Made in Japan". A fully Gold N64 controller with the stamp "Made in Japan" is synonymous to the Mario Kart 64: Nintendo Power Cup contest exclusively. If I am misunderstanding the question please let me know. Thanks.
ALKATRAZZ wrote:Hey I just noticed that if you look at the picture I posted with the top of the controller with the made in Japan on there, if you click it and look at it zoomed in you can clearly see that the inside is gray and not the tan plastic.
Alkatrazz, I stole your picture and circled the area to further illustrate to the readers. It seems like a manufacturer error where the spray was not angled properly to fill in that corner.
**UPDATE:** I have updated the picture to include a second circled area that No64DD has pointed out, thats rite where the power cord enters the controller casing there is visible GREY plastic again! Great work No64DD!

ALKATRAZZ

February 26th, 2018, 11:30 am #17

Deadmoneycash wrote:
Cabanon wrote:
No64DD wrote: Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
no. I meant the standard sold in store controller.

that Japanese Contest i've heard of but the origin of this contest is still very unknown.
To the best of my knowledge all gold N64 controllers that were ever sold on a shelf in Japan are actually stamped on top "Made in China". To the best of my knowledge no gold N64 controller was ever sold on a shelf or rack new from Nintendo stamped with "Made in Japan". A fully Gold N64 controller with the stamp "Made in Japan" is synonymous to the Mario 64: Nintendo Power Cup contest exclusively. If I am misunderstanding the question please let me know. Thanks.
ALKATRAZZ wrote:Hey I just noticed that if you look at the picture I posted with the top of the controller with the made in Japan on there, if you click it and look at it zoomed in you can clearly see that the inside is gray and not the tan plastic.
Alkatrazz, I stole your picture and circled the area to further illustrate to the readers. It seems like a manufacturer error where the spray was not angled properly to fill in that corner.
Yeah I noticed that right after I posted about the inside. I'll still open it to get a look at the circuit board and see if there is a sticker on there. I also noticed that the back of that card shows that they were also numbered so there are literally only 5000 of those things. I remember using my 5 minutes to call the Nintendo tip line to get button combo to make Shang Tsung morph in to Baraka in Mortal Kombat Trilogy on N64. At the time the guides only had the combo for all the other versions where the N64 version was different. I even memorized it so I would never for get it so that card actually had a memorable use. RN,RN,LP,BL Still haven't forgotten it

Deadmoneycash

February 26th, 2018, 11:59 am #18

ALKATRAZZ wrote:I remember using my 5 minutes to call the Nintendo tip line to get button combo to make Shang Tsung morph in to Baraka in Mortal Kombat Trilogy on N64. I even memorized it so I would never for get it so that card actually had a memorable use. RN,RN,LP,BL Still haven't forgotten it
@Alkatrazz, that is hands-down the best use I have ever heard for one of those 5 minute call cards! And you still remember the morph code! Out of this world good! I truly love these background stories of contestant winners.

No64DD
Elite

February 26th, 2018, 12:56 pm #19

Welcome ALKATRAZZ.
Thanks for joining and sharing!
Great story!
The calling card reminds me of the one i recieved through Wal-Mart and the Ncrew.

I remember using a portion of this to call Nintendo. Being on hold factored in and it went very quickly! :lol:

Anyway, we now have 3 owners of this Nintendo Power MK64 Gold controller dwelling here. I've helped create a monster.

As Deadmoneycash said, contribute what you are comfortble with.
As your pictures show, you can see beyond the gold in some spots.
It's even possible to see color limits where the cord exits the controller. :yeah:
It's safe to say that not all Gold controllers are painted equally.

Again, feel free to share your findings, and good luck on finding the potential name list.
A Secret star
lie here~

Deadmoneycash

February 26th, 2018, 6:34 pm #20

In light of keeping things moving forward I will now post pictures of the Nintendo Power 100th issue Gold N64 controller. Now I personally do not own this controller and have taken these pictures off the internet. In hopes of further illustrating the differences between MK64GC's and "Made in China" Gold controllers with Tan plastic.

The Nintendo Power 100 issue Gold N64 controller was available by order only through a Nintendo Super Power Supplies catalog in 1997. This controller, the Nintendo Power 100 Gold N64 controller is the 3rd ever released Gold related N64 controller and the FIRST ever FULL Gold N64 controller to be stamped "Made in China" as well as the first ever full Gold N64 controller to be made entirely of the TAN plastic that every single Gold N64 controller to come was and has continue to have been made from and stamped with. All of the NP100 Gold controllers are stamped on top "Made in China" and are made from Tan plastic. The amount of these that were released is unknown to me. I'm sure someone here may have an estimate. Hopefully another member of this group can post similar pictures that I am about to, in relation to the NP100 Gold controller. There should be enough of these out there that it should be doable. At the release of this controller there still had not been a publicly released store-bought version of a gold N64 controller yet. This controller was as close as one can get to likes of a store-bought gold N64 controller at the time of its release. This was the first ever Gold N64 controller to be sold to the public, but by mail order only.

Made in China Gold NP100 N64 controller

Gold NP100 N64 controller with damage. Notice the TAN plastic under the Gold paint in the damaged areas.

More damage and more TAN plastic.

More damage again and again TAN plastic under the gold paint.

I'd like to reiterate now that these pictures of the above Gold NP100 N64 controller are not mine. The controller is not mine. I took the pictures from the internet. I can say and state at this moment there are nearly half a dozen of these on eBay right now. And each one that shows damage will have in fact TAN plastic and if there is a picture of the top you will see that it always says "Made in China".

I show these pictures in hopes of further illustrating that we are separating the MK64GC further and further from its other gold counterparts. Systematically working through a timeline.