2ds Reviews?

windydoom

December 24th, 2017, 9:50 am #1

What do people think of the 2ds vs the 3ds? I want to buy one.

No64DD
Elite

December 25th, 2017, 12:30 am #2

Both my nephews are each getting one tomorrow. I'll let you know.
A Secret star
lie here~

No64DD
Elite

December 31st, 2017, 9:52 pm #3

Okay, so i got some hands on time with my nephews' 2Ds. They both have MK7 pre installed. This is a great game for them to learn on. It is translating to them being better at MK64.

The 2DS does a lot of things that may be too much for a young age group, but is the right price for an all in one package. Minus the 3D effect.
There are features i am still trying to figure out, but is a fairly easy to understand portal and setup. :yeah:
A Secret star
lie here~

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

January 1st, 2018, 10:40 pm #4

Wasn’t sure if you meant the old 2ds (which I have) or the new 2ds xl (which I don’t).

The 2ds I do have takes a departure from the traditional flip model of the 3ds and ds systems before it. It’s one big block with one screen acting as two and it doesn’t close. Some people say this makes it look more little kiddish - I just consider it Nintendo’s version of a tablet (pre-switch).

It was made for people who don’t like the 3D, people on a budget, and indeed younger gamers. Not 100% sure on this but that last demographic might have something to do with the fact that it’s a pretty sturdy piece of kit. I’ve heard about people dropping and breaking their 3dses and i think it’s harder to do that with this model even though the screens are exposed.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Kez
Kez

August 22nd, 2018, 8:38 am #5

I just picked up a used 2DS, so I figured I'd share it here. It's the clear black model, which is exclusive to Japan.

Good points: I like how solid it feels, and it's certainly more affordable than a standard 3DS (it was about 70 USD with the original box). The transparent shell brings back fond memories of the N64/GBA days of systems with similar shells, so I'm a big fan of that too (I know there's blue and yellow transparent models as well). As for negative points, the screens do feel susceptible to damage without some form of protection, so I had to order a case. Also, it's definitely not something that will fit in your pocket like a regular 3DS or even a 2/3DS XL, so the portability is slightly less in that regard. It's about the size of a 3DS game case and a bit thicker. However, the screens seem to be the same size as the ordinary 3DS.

This family of systems is region locked, so I'm looking into the best JP exclusive games for it. I want a NA region 2DS XL as well, since my original 3DS has... problems, so when that day comes I'll add thoughts on that version as well. Nothing against 3D of course, I just like the design more.
American in Japan
NTSC-J: 182/198 carts

No64DD
Elite

August 22nd, 2018, 11:07 am #6

Since i last posted here, my one nephew slammed his 2ds to the ground and cracked the screen internally.
The other pushed the sd card in backwards in the other 2ds and bent the tiny lock hook inside the slot, which i luckily fixed. A week later, it stopped powering on. I tried fixing it, but nothing i was supposed to do worked.
Only 1 of the consoles was covered under an extended warranty.
A Secret star
lie here~