Jeanna
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
Jeanna
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
G3 Curtain and Duvet!

10:09 PM - Oct 04, 2006 #11

Katrina? Of Katrina and the Waves?
wrote:(was it my painfully forlorn tumbleweed?)
Yes. <G>

A voice crying out in the desert.
H&N Music Vid by me and ekny

Something To Talk About
YouTube

My BG Music Vids
On YouTube

My vids You Tube removed
Click Here
OR HERE

BAM for Beginners
BAM Channel

ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night
ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night

10:51 PM - Oct 04, 2006 #12

jeanna wrote:Katrina? Of Katrina and the Waves?
Apparently. JAMBF says it's Common Knowledge. Why did I know this thread would lure you back...!
jeanna wrote:
moi wrote:(was it my painfully forlorn tumbleweed?)
Yes. <G>
A voice crying out in the desert.
Well heck, it worked, this is what matters. So what I have to prostrate myself on the ground & flail, Don't Mind Me, see if I waste subtlely on this lot again, (etcetcblahblah)...

--etcny

(still: do get back to us when you figure it out, yeah? Not that I'm counting on you. Ok, so I am.)

Jeanna
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
Jeanna
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
G3 Curtain and Duvet!

11:51 PM - Oct 04, 2006 #13

I'm still stunned at hearing Walking on Sunshine in that scene. How bizarre. That's from like way back in the early 80s.

So what are we to make of this? :eek

Either Helen listens to the Golden Oldies station and has musical taste stuck back in her teen yrs. (a sign of repressed or arrested development?) or it's just most likely a matter of the morning drive radio programme being all upbeat and hideously chipper (and, therefore, in highly ironic contrast to Dom's sad task.)

This difference in broadcast music as opposed to what is allowed on dvds just hit me again while watching the second season of "Sugar Rush" and just knowing that the David Gray, KT Tunstall, et. al. topical hit songs of the moment in the club scene will never make it to dvd.
H&N Music Vid by me and ekny

Something To Talk About
YouTube

My BG Music Vids
On YouTube

My vids You Tube removed
Click Here
OR HERE

BAM for Beginners
BAM Channel

ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night
ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night

4:43 AM - Oct 05, 2006 #14

jeanna wrote:I'm still stunned at hearing Walking on Sunshine in that scene. How bizarre. That's from like way back in the early 80s.
I know, it's incredibly jarring, isn't it?
jeanna wrote:This difference in broadcast music as opposed to what is allowed on dvds just hit me again while watching the second season of "Sugar Rush" and just knowing that the David Gray, KT Tunstall, et. al. topical hit songs of the moment in the club scene will never make it to dvd.
It makes a pretty big difference in the way the show feels, to my mind, esp since SR has an almost constant musical soundtrack, and the DVD choices were so lame.

ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night
ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night

6:25 PM - Oct 12, 2006 #15

Well, the good news is that this week's clip (from our mystery friend & helper!) is the Constant Craving one. I couldn't get the aspect ratio right on my computer, not a thing I can control or suggest how others might get it looking right. Wound up using Nero Showtime & using their "force aspect ratio" feature; 5:3 (though it's a bogus ratio) did seem to work, fwiw.

File size is ~70meg.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FAQZ55L0

abzug
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
abzug
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

6:55 PM - Oct 12, 2006 #16

Which scene is this song underscoring? When Helen and Dom are in the bar, or when they are back in her apt? (Sorry, can't download at work to review myself.) If it's the latter, that seems to ssubtly imply that Helen listens to lesbian singers at home. Very interesting....
Visit the Bad Girls Annex!

ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night
ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night

8:17 PM - Oct 12, 2006 #17

abzug wrote: Which scene is this song underscoring?  When Helen and Dom are in the bar, or when they are back in her apt?  (Sorry, can't download at work to review myself.)  If it's the latter, that seems to ssubtly imply that Helen listens to lesbian singers at home.  Very interesting....
It's not so subtle. Yeah, it's at her place with Dom, when they get back from the bar. And the music track's much louder, actually, than whatever they put into the DVD version: my take is that the music itself features as a kind of third presence here. Given it's a very obvious lesbian marking... I have to think that's deliberate: people may or may not associate what'shername & Walking in Sunshine with lesbians, but lang = lesbian, it's not avoidable.

abzug
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
abzug
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

8:28 PM - Oct 12, 2006 #18

Thanks! I only said subtle because when you have a song in a scene like that, it can be ambiguous whether the character is listening to it (as Helen was in her car with Walking on Sunshine), or whether it doesn't exist in the scene itself but is setting a mood for the audience (as the same song was when Dominic was cleaning Rachel's stuff). So, it's not like Helen came in and turned on the stereo and this song came out. Hence, some slight ambiguity or subtlety as to whether Helen actually listens to kd lang, or whether the creators wanted the song to represent her unconscious mind.

ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night
ekny
Escaped for the night
Escaped for the night

8:36 PM - Oct 12, 2006 #19

My impression--watch it & see what you think--is that the music is exactly loud enough to suggest it's been turned on, deliberately, by Helen. I have no opinion as to whether she owns it--turned on a CD--or has on the radio--but I found your divisions of these categories very interesting & hadn't, tb honest, thought of it in those terms. Very little of the other music in this show suggests background music that tells us of a character's mood/thoughts without the character being aware that music is happening in that same environment--I'm sure you could think of an answer but i'm pressed for x at the moment!--so I'm not sure why this scene, an obviously important one, would perhaps be 'downgraded'? if I'm reading you right? to suggest something along those lines. It's possible but they've gone to a lot of trouble to surround H with music, which says to me she likes it--& therefore, likely, chooses it. But feel free to argue me out of it! (SFU, for ex, definitely uses music often--most often, in fact--to do double-duty in place of dialogue & to tell us things, often ironic, abt the characters which they themselves don't know; I'm not sure but my overall feeling is BG's treatment of music is far more naturalistic, which would, after all, be in keeping w/the show's general realism over S1-3.)

abzug
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
abzug
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

8:40 PM - Oct 12, 2006 #20

ekny wrote:so I'm not sure why this scene, an obviously important one, would perhaps be 'downgraded'? if I'm reading you right?
I wouldn't say downgraded, just used differently. Either way it seems like a quite significant song choice, that's for sure, reflecting something key about Helen's subconscious. What I'm realizing as we rewatch S1 with a finetooth comb, is that there have been all these aural and visual clues of Helen's impending lesbianism. It's quite fun and rewarding to find them all.