Moderators: Canadabadgirl, stealthgirl, ekny, richard, I love MJNet, itsmetwo, nz bad girl

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

July 10th, 2007, 4:44 pm #11

Near my parents we have......

The Knockin shop.

Honestly, its a shop so called in a place called Knockin.

?In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.?

Route66
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
Route66
G3 Curtain and Duvet!
G3 Curtain and Duvet!

July 10th, 2007, 4:54 pm #12

If this thread is a ROCKIN don't come a KNOCKIN

simoneisanangel
The Garden Assistant
The Garden Assistant
simoneisanangel
The Garden Assistant
The Garden Assistant

July 10th, 2007, 4:57 pm #13

There seems to be quite a few rude but interesting place names in the world

One's i know of in Scotland are: a town near Inverness called Dyke (the cold version of Lesbos ) and in Perthshire there is fanny hill and fanny burn. :rolleyes: Makes you wonder what's going on in a person's head when they're choosing place names.

Literally! ~ Juliet And Juliet ~

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

July 10th, 2007, 5:00 pm #14

simoneisanangel wrote: .....in Perthshire there is fanny hill and fanny burn.

Reminds me of one place in Ireland -

Pussy Creak

?In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.?

Buttons
G2 landing
G2 landing
Buttons
G2 landing
G2 landing

July 10th, 2007, 7:13 pm #15

solitasolano wrote: New thread is just my "cuppa tea".
I was wondering how long it would take you to get to this thread...

Oh I forgot to tell you ..

my Home town.. okay I moved but still consider it my hometown as i grew up there...

Amanzimtoti - KwaZulu Natal

In Zulu it means Sweet Waters... BUT hey are you ready for this...
Once again if you put an afrikaans spin on this one...

Ane man se toti - directly translated - Another mans Balls!!!

*geez you guys are going to start to think that my mind is permanently in the gutter*
?For it was not into my ear you whispered but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.? Judy Garland

Ste ovde, Ja to znam

flump
Up to Basic
Up to Basic
flump
Up to Basic
Up to Basic

July 10th, 2007, 9:35 pm #16

Fanny Burn!! Not sure what's more disturbing SIAA, the fact that somebody thought of that name or the fact that you know of it!? Have you ever visited any of your amusing place names? Actualy, please don't answer that!! :rolleyes: Is there not a place called Wet Beaver somewhere? I think it's in America.

Carlyle
Down the Block
Down the Block
Carlyle
Down the Block
Down the Block

July 11th, 2007, 5:29 am #17

I am starting to love studying geography, specially using this site as a reference and starting point, odd places to visit, the names makes me laugh

solitasolano
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
solitasolano
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR

July 11th, 2007, 6:30 am #18

Buttons wrote:
I was wondering how long it would take you to get to this thread...
Amanzimtoti - KwaZulu Natal
Oh yeah I did. Found it right away...as did I also find Amazon...I mean Amanzimtoti...
Now I have to imagine the accent you all have down your way...is there one, and very different from capetown?
I need more sa places to look up....having a blast...only thing is, I did one quick search...$2,500 for a RT ticket to KwaZulu Natal or Gautenug.
flump wrote: Is there not a place called Wet Beaver somewhere?
I'm sure a Wet Beaver is out there someplace...will scour the maps for you..

ETA: Found it...There's a Wet Beaver Wilderness in Arizona, and oh yes, the Apache Maid Trail goes right thur it.

Of course while googling the above...several name place web sites turned up...from them some new favs are Dildo, Newfoundland; Climax, Saskatchewan (Sign on way out of town says "Come again soon); Twatt, Orkney, UK; Intercourse, Pennslyvania; Shag Island in the Indian Ocean...; Boob Creek, Alaska...anyway, you get the point...see what you can find when you're looking for Wet Beaver?

microsofty
Don't you wish it was electric
microsofty

July 11th, 2007, 7:00 am #19

solitasolano wrote:Now I have to imagine the accent you all have down your way...is there one, and very different from capetown? 
Oh yes, you can pick a Capetonian from a crowd. Well... normally you'll find them in their own crowd, they're very cliquey people. Don't like to mix with people from other provinces, what with them living in the Chosen province and all. The rest of the people all sound quite normal. The only time accents come into play is because of our 11 official languages, so you'll normally pick up accents when someone is not speaking in their mother tongue. There is a strong accent when an Afrikaans person is speaking in English and vice versa. Black Africans also have very strong accents when they speak in English, sometimes it's difficult to follow - for instance "bird" would be pronounced as "bed", etc.

Look up Stellenbosch. I lived there for a year... It was amazing.
Make a HOTCH in the POTCH...

solitasolano
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
solitasolano
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR

July 11th, 2007, 4:26 pm #20

Oh yeah, Stellenbosch looks nice...wine country...next time I'm at Trader Joe's (yuppie market where every item is an impluse item, but with major and reasonable wine selection including wines from sa) I'll have to pick me up some SA reds...
so the Capies are stuck up huh. Well the set up of the town does look rather spectacluar what with that ring of mountains backing the town up to the sea and keeping it from spreading forever like we have in LA (can drive for 3 hours and still be in city).