Helen And Nikki - Some Background.

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:27 pm #1

I was lucky - I watched Bad Girls from the first episode - not because I knew of Helen and Nikki, but because I saw a trailer and thought it looked damn good.

It has also meant I've been around to pick up many little pieces of information as the series and subsequent discussions has gone on.
Its also apparant many of you are coming in as "new" fans, and haven't had the luxury of knowing, what others like myself would consider basic information about our two lovely ladies.

So - in an attempt to solve this, this thread is dedicated to Helen and Nikki and little facts about them you might not otherwise know.

NIKKI WADE:-

CHRIS TCHAIKOVSKY
- Women in Prison (WIP) (http://www.womeninprison.org.uk) was established in 1983 as a support and campaign group for women prisoners. WIP was led by its founder/Director Chris Tchaikovsky, herself a former prisoner, until her early death in 2002. The Nikki Wade character was based on Chris Tchaikovsky.
Chris was also the advisor on the show through Series 1, 2 and some of 3 before her illness meant she had to stop.

FULL NAME: Nicola Wade.

LIVING: Previous to prison Nikki lived with her partner Trisha for nine years and co-owned a nightclub called Chix (previously called Diva).
HMP Larkhall - 1996-2001 (Time though all over the place throughout the series).
2001 onwards released from HMP Larkhall after winning her appeal.

PARENTS: Father a naval officer, her mother a naval officers wife! She has one brother named David who also disowned her along with her parents when they found out Nikki was a lesbian. Nikki was only 16 years old when she left home.

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS INCLUDE: Reading books, the gym, gardening, a lot of her time previously was taken up with the running of the nightclub. She as a love for San Francisco and has twice mentioned wanting to go there. Once to Helen in Oh What a Night! and again to Barbara near the end of Series 3 she says once she gets out of there she is off to San Francisco. Helen also encouraged Nikki's love of literature by asking her to take on a degree course via the Open University whilst in prison.

STYLE: Nikki loves Armani clothes and is often seen wearing Armani. Nikki is a modern woman, loves music and films and looks forward to being free again to do the things that are every day normal things.

AND FINALLY... PERSONALITY: Nikki is strong, passionate, quiet and thoughtful. Her intelligence strikes Helen from the word go and her commitment to justice and getting justice at whatever cost is apparent. Her sense of justice inside is strong. Nikki can be fiery at times, she wears her heart on her sleeve and shows her true feelngs to those she trusts. Sometimes her free spirit can overdide rational thought.

HELEN STEWART.

Simone went to Winchester Prison where she used the experiences of a woman who was in the same situation as Helen Stewart. She went to fast-track university and then landed the job of Govornor Grade Five, exactly the same as Helen, as the age of 24 in Holloway Prison, which is basically the prison that Larkhall is based on.

FULL NAME: Helen Stewart

LIVING: Until 2001 Helen had been living in her own flat in London. She has no pets or children. Apparently had a few boyfriends up until she met Sean Parr who she was engaged to. She called off the wedding and their relationship the same year she met Nikki. He was a landscape gardener who ceremoniously burnt the wedding suit he had just brought in the grounds of Larkhall Prison as the inmates including Nikki watched in shock from windows above.

PARENTS: Mother deceased. Father a minister living in Scotland. A hard man who as little time for his daughters lifestyle... whatever that maybe! She has no siblings. Her friend is Claire Walker, Nikki's solicitor whom she has known for years.

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS: Helen likes to keep fit. Enjoys a pint or two and a curry! She drives a red peuquet 306. She loves to read books and suggests Nikki reads a book called Sophies World when they are getting to know each other. She's very commited to her career having graduated and then spent much time gathering experience before getting the job at Larkhall as Wing Governor. Later she leaves and comes back as Governor grade 4 where she deals with the lifers amongst other things. In the 3rd year Helen is promoted to Governing Governor on a temp basis. She did tell Nikki that she wants children one day.

AND FINALLY... PERSONALITY: Helen is a complex character who goes through many changes in the 3 years that we get to know her. She is honest, caring and very commited to her career. Her fiesty scottish temper can often be a match for Nikki's! When her sexuality comes into question she appears scared of it... but her love for Nikki overrides her fears and in the end she finally comes out in the episode Coming Out!
?In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.?

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:29 pm #2

scarlette PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:17 pm

very impressive, uve been a busy girl ILMJN!! thanks for the background info!

scarlette

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:29 pm #3

NZ Bad Girl PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:18 pm

Awesome. I also watched it from the start, but there were still a few things that were clarified!

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:30 pm #4

goatgrrl PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:28 pm

I did not know that Nikki's character was based on an actual person, i.e. Chris Tchaikovsky. Interesting that she helped on the show. I am sadden that by her death. Thank you for the information.

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:30 pm #5

terriw1979 PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:14 am

i didn't know chris tchaikovsky was dead... RIP

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:30 pm #6

hypothesizer PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:14 am

San Fransisco
I thought i heard Nikki mention wanting to go to san fransisco to Monica in series one right before monica's suicide attempt. Although i might have just been hearing things.

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:30 pm #7

Lisa289 PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 pm

Did you deliberately not do a STYLE bit for Helen?

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:30 pm #8

Kiyraesyn PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:13 am

Wow, quite an insightful background on both characters, thank you !!

BTW, San Francisco is an AMAZING city, I've been several times. I may move up there someday if I don't choose to return to France sooner than originally planned.

I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader
I love MJNet
Sophies World reader
Sophies World reader

June 1st, 2006, 1:31 pm #9

I love MJNet wrote: Lisa289 PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 pm

Did you deliberately not do a STYLE bit for Helen?
Just picked this up - We aren't given any insight into the clothes Helen buys - we know Nikki's tastes though - which is why it is included. No mention of a label or other declarations about Helen are known though.

cherubic18
Down the Block
Down the Block
cherubic18
Down the Block
Down the Block

June 28th, 2006, 1:37 am #10

I'm new to this whole Bad Girls thing, and am glad to see some background on Nikki and Helen. But it actually confuses me some. I've watched Series 1-3 at least 3 times now, and don't recall hearing a lot of these things. Where is it in the series that Nikki's father is in the Navy or that she has a brother? Or Helen's father is a minister? Or even that Nikki and Trish's club is called Chix? I've read TONS of the fan fic by now, and never knew if these themes kept coming up because they're somewhere in the series and I just missed them, or if they've been written so many times that they're just a given now.

Or is it that all of this background was revealed in interviews with Simone or Mandana or the creators that told what the backstory of the characters was without it ever being mentioned in the show?

I'm so lost and behind the times over here in America .... Sigh ....