[META/OPEN] Set Fire To The Rain

Unless popular demand dictates otherwise, this forum will represent the other weyrs and holds of Pern. Search threads, diplomatic visits, etc. go here. Please state the specific location clearly in the thread.
Spiffy
Wingrider
Spiffy
Wingrider
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 22:31

09 May 2012, 13:34 #61

Kitath appeared in the fray just in time to hear the call for rescue from the young gold.

Little Ones! We must help them! she cried, ignoring the call for her wing to fight. There were others, others who could flame, who were more suited to fighting Despairs (which after a quick look around at the scene she could see were the only Deep Ones there).

There are too many of them, we can't get there! Shea called out from her back.

Well then we'll have to fight our way through! she replied resolutely, tipping a wing even as she said it and making for a blue despair who was harrying another green. Shea only just had enough time to ready his flamethrower before she dropped on its head. Grappling with it briefly, she managed to get a good hold on it and twisted, its neck snapping with a loud crack. She dropped it, before it could drag her between with it. The green honked in thanks, winging away to continue the battle.

The rest of the way was clearer, with most of the lower despairs engaged in battle with the Istan or Nightwatch dragons, and those that weren't were in formation above. None of the ones she could see knew them particularly, and so she was not pursued. Her main battle was now ducking under fighting groups, twisting around to claw the underside of any despairs that provided the opportunity, Shea flaming many of the ones she couldn't reach. She gained a few scratches on her arms and legs for the trouble, but none that particularly troubled her.

Finally she could get to the ground ledge where the Weyrlings had been hiding.

"Are we too late?!" Shea asked, looking into the cavern. He could see no Weyrlings but the gold hiding at the back. Though there seemed to be some people there too, now tat he could see better.

I can carry two people if there are no Weyrlings left, Kitath added, to the gold Weyrling alone. She got the feeling that the pair had taken charge here.
[RAWR] FFDD33 Bellatrix and Bellatrisk - Goldhandler
[RAWR] 55AA33 J'thir and Lyriseth - Wingsecond in Eventide
[RAWR] 339900 Sh'lon and Kitath - Wingrider in Napalm Beat
[RAWR] 000044 Lanalene and Cimmeriath - Grounded
[RAWR] 150323 Avara - Candidate / Second / 'Healer'

Reply
Like

lithle
Candidate
lithle
Candidate
Joined: 29 Feb 2012, 20:39

09 May 2012, 21:35 #62

Knienth and A'tsu were not at their best just now. They had come to the fight, yes. Some instinct, an old love for a place mostly forgotten, allowing A'tsu to agree with his dragon's quiet suggestion that their aid might be needed.

But in truth, neither A'tsu nor Knienth were prone to taking action without orders. Oh, they could act of their own accord, but they did their best as part of a unit, taking general orders and turning them to specific tactics. Now, they only had an overwhelming number of potential targets facing them from all sides. They'd only arrived at Nightwatch within the sevenday, they had yet to memorize which dragons were Wingleaders, or to be assigned a wing of their own.

So they hung back, watching, looking for the right thing to do.

But there was no one right action. In which case, Knienth eventually decided, any action would do.

Those. Knienth announced, moving in to follow the recently arrived Ogbanuth toward the despair that Kirraheth was engaged in fighting. He did not directly engage, but remained a bit above as Ogbanuth flamed. He did not, after all, want to get fried himself.

Knienth, at your command. He informed the two unfamiliar blues, sounding remarkably calm all things considered.

A'tsu, meanwhile, loaded his gun, and, from his vantage above the brown, took a shot at the creature's head when he could be sure of not hitting Kirraheth.
X Weyrling Spins of Green Astaraeth 90EE90
X Grounded Leshta of Green Semith 668866
XWingrider A'tsu of Brown Knienth 993311
X Journeyman Beastcrafter Cherra%mh%-65%mh%
Reply
Like

Zoomy
Wingrider
Zoomy
Wingrider
Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 06:43

10 May 2012, 01:49 #63

Suddenly ALL THE PEOPLE landed in her immediate vicinity. Some were yelling this, others were yelling that, blood was dripping absolutely everywhere, and it was really a bit of a miracle (or Volana's lungs) that Ianthe noticed she was yelling at her in the first place.

The flamethrower that she had been holding rather disinterestedly was abandoned in the mud as she skirted around a talking Norion and a few other Ista people who were getting on dragons. Angeth was noted, but the green looked like she wasn't about to have anyone fussing over her, so Ianthe didn't pause in her maneuverings to Volana and the Brown.

Wiping sodden strands of hair, and streams of water, from her face, the little healer looked as well as she could at the free-flowing wounds on the dragon's neck and shoulder. Even though there was a considerable height problem, it didn't take much skill to see they were some nasty punctures and shredded bits. Punctures were potentally fixable at that moment, shredded bits... well...

"I NEED HIM TO GET LOWER TO THE GROUND!" she yelled back up at Volana, perhaps a bit bitterly. Damn 5' stature. Damn huge ass flying lizard. "The ones on his neck may be problematic!" Shoulder was less of a problem, but the neck had many arteries, and while nothing seemed to be nicked, that was a definite problem spot.

So ianthe waited for Fusrodath to becomes friends with the mud, while behind her she had no idea that A'ur was being dragged to the same mud.
[x]{#99FFFF} Trauma Healer Ianthe andWhite Iantsk.
[x]{#36648b} Wherhandler/Smuggler Kaylee of Blue Eugene.
[x]{#336666} Gunsmith Anya and Green Kereth.
[x]{#3322AA} Grounded Rider Desdelle and Blue Valorinoth.
[x]{#836e5a} Weryling Amaranta of Brown Danverith.
[x] Apothecary Murron.%mh%-55%mh%
Reply
Like

Firebird
Wingrider
Firebird
Wingrider
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 20:56

12 May 2012, 18:23 #64

And then SUDDENLY DRAGONS! Norion did not have a problem with this, not at all. Dragons were what she was waiting for. The green and the blue seemed to be more for rescuing people than fighting though, which wasn't a thing Seconds were needed for and besides that was boring. The brown, though... That was definitely a fighting dragon, albeit an injured one.

An injured one that was having a healer tend to him. Best to wait until that's done before approaching about possibly taking her as a Second. Interrupting healers never went well. Norion turned her attention back to the skies to look for targets, but anyone paying attention would notice the occasional glances being thrown towards Fusrodath. She wasn't exactly subtle about them.

(x) Senar, Technician and handler of bronze Senask
(x) Norion, troublemaker and self-professed guard
(x) O'ver of Blue Wilkith
(x) Silone, Glasscrafter
(x) Alley, Beastcrafter
(x) Eldger, Holder %mh%-311%mh%
Reply
Like

Oshuu
Candidate
Oshuu
Candidate
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 04:03

12 May 2012, 18:54 #65

Giving Ianthe a nod, Volana mentally asked her dragon to drop to the ground for the healer. He didn’t respond, the woman instead being inundated with a blast of static. Grunting, she thumped his shoulder with a fist, pointing down towards the mud. “DOWN. SHE SAID GET DOWN,” she said, unaware of how loud her tone of voice actually was. Fusrodath glanced over his shoulder, and only then noticed the wherhandler, and seemed to get some of the idea. Hunkering down, he laid himself in the mud. Fresh ichor seeped down his limb.

Unbuckling herself from her dragon, the woman pushed back and away from the beast, swinging a leg over to drop down from the brown’s back. Instead of dismounting gracefully, Volana hit the ground and stumbled backwards, incredibly dizzy with the sudden sensation of being two places at once. It was very much like having double vision, and the rider flailed uselessly before taking her own seat in the mud, splashing in a dirty puddle with a surprised noise.

Fusrodath gave a concerned croon, lifting his head to peer at his bonded. ARE YOU OKAY? he rumbled, but only got static in response. Volana made no reply, instead reaching around to pull her overshirt off and toss it in the mud, leaving only a light undershirt still on. It was so fucking hot, she realized. Why did anyone live in Ista when it was so freaking hot?

Glancing at Norion, she held out a hand and motioned the woman over. "Give us a hand up, would you, love?" she rumbled. "A little slippery down here." At least Volana was no longer yelling, though she was still talking with her outside voice, surely.

- - - - -


Oh shards and shells. This was not going the way he planned. Why had he given his flamethrower to Ianthe?

YOU FUCKING IDIOT! Hondath roared, twisting and writing in the air like a fish on a line. Below him was a dark brown Despair, teeth and claws sunk into his midnight hide as the smaller dragon tried to wriggle free. Rath seemed to have no such intention, staring impassively at A’ur with dead eyes as the living lizard continued to screech.

With a sudden, final wrench, Hondath managed to jerk himself free, though at the price of a large chunk of flesh. Ichor blossomed up, running in thick streams down the dragon’s leg as he clutched his injured limb close to his belly. It was shaking, the teeth and claw marks a stark contrast as he banked a hard right and fought for altitude. Rath was not far behind, the blue’s ichor dripping from his muzzle as he wheeled as well, pursuing the younger dragon into the sky.

A’ur glanced over his shoulder, grey eye narrow as he watched the Despair give hot pursuit. Rath had always been one of the larger browns, though he didn’t remember the beast to be quite this fast in life. His own bonded could out run him any day of the week. Right. Hondath banked a hard right and Rath swung wide. As soon as the brown was back on their tail, Left. The blue swerved left, losing their stalker again and giving them more space. Tipping his snout up, the dragon climbed again, this time snapping his wings and pitching as hard as he could to double back on Rath with a gout of flame.

The brown shrieked his fury, scrabbling and swerving off as his neck and face smoldered. Hondath screamed and stormed after him, flaming the Despair as he tried to regroup. Hold up! But this time, the order came and the blue didn’t listen, or perhaps he didn’t hear over the low buzz of static. Rath rounded and flew straight through the most recent flame, claws and teeth outstretched again. Up! The dragoon beat his wings as hard as he could, but did not climb quickly enough. The Despair got a hold of his tail and jerked, yanking Hondath and A’ur backwards through the air.

Fall.

Releasing Hondath’s tail in the apex of the crest, he used their momentum to hurl the pair through the air as he hit the brakes. Back flapping, he watched the pair tumble and struggle through the air – with any luck, they’d hit another dragon or be unable to gather themselves before they hit the ground.

[[ OOC: Anyone feel free to be struck by Hondath as he sort of tumbles and flails uselessly. ]]
[x] Wingleader D'can of green Morgauth (#00C78C)
[x] Wingrider A'ur of blue Hondath (#2B4F81)
[x] Wingrider Volana of brown Fusrodath (#673f07)
[x] Weyrling Isvai of black Belgaerth (#808069)
[x] Candidate Roanoke
Reply
Like

Guenivere
Fresh Meat
Guenivere
Fresh Meat
Joined: 02 May 2012, 07:12

12 May 2012, 21:17 #66

"HA!" A cry of satisfaction mixed with his dragon's roar when the little white popped between. No more flaming Despairs today! No, sir! The celebration didn't last long, however. There was still much to be done and many lives at stake.

Moxanath made a graceful turn, meaning to check on their wingmates, still locked in battle with the terrifying bronze, but this time with help! T'vek felt a little relief seeping into his mind. They weren't alone, and everyone was still alive. He could feel Moxanath's apprehension at joining the fray, and the concept of helping others escape that she gently sent him. He responded with a negative. He wasn't going to leave his wingmates, and this high priority enemy. The dragon pushed her apprehension out of her mind and fell into a very controlled dive toward Merceth

Ask for orders, Mox! It's busy down there. T'vek had no intention of getting in anyone's way, especially since he was riding the smallest dragon in the area.

Coming in! She spoke first to all dragons fighting Merceth.

Morguath, orders?
Reply
Like

Kestalì
Wingrider
Kestalì
Wingrider
Joined: 26 Jan 2012, 03:59

14 May 2012, 01:07 #67

Trinity's Wingleaders got the call while at the beach, and opted to fly back manually rather than teleporting; due to having only minimal harness, they weren't about to risk K'vyn falling off in between. By the time the Brownpair arrived, the Istan Bronze and Ramoth had come and gone, and they went straight to their weyr to gear up. Rosaryn and Nalunath met their brothers as they were leaving to pack their own kit, and greetings and well-wishes were swift.

Alamanth blinked out from between at high altitude, the better to avoid incidental head-butts with an ally or worse and get a feel for the battle. The pair took stock, and it wasn't long before the Brown collapsed his wings and dove, pulling upright at the last moment to ram talons-first into a Green Despair chasing down a living Green with a half-rotten Blue.

Despair or no, the combination of Al's superior size and element of surprise made the brief struggle no contest, and after a few moments the monster shrieked once in anger before disappearing between, looking even more horrific than before with one limb hanging by sinews and back flayed open. Its Blue partner wheeled away from its prey with a hiss of ire from mangled vocal cords, and darted around and down at Alamanth's belly. The Istan pair had no intention of abandoning their rescuers, however, and zipped past with a belch of fire at its wing; his attacker's attention diverted, Al twisted his head down and raked its back with his own flame, awkwardly backwinging out of immediate range.

A few bloody, desperate minutes later, the now charred and broken eldritch let loose a rasping roar and followed the Green back to its home realm. Tail bite-ridden and ichor running down his flanks, Alamanth peeled off from the equally battered Green, their riders saluting in mutual appreciation for their efforts.

Then... An emptiness. A void. Someone was gone.

Al, who -?!
K'vyn forced through the static that had slowly but steadily been building, peaking briefly to deafening levels every time they'd come too close to or touched one of their opponents.

A flash of white heralded their sisters' entrance, and Al extended his mental voice to include them. Kzerzath. Qu'an. They have been consumed. There was anger, sorrow, and despair tangled in the Brown's deep voice, and was echoed clearly in His, their emotional bond cleaner of static, and the Whitepair. Their relation to the Wingcaptainpair had never been more than professional, but they'd trusted their elders, looked up to them as leaders, and the sudden loss, its savage circumstance, hit them hard.

Ilyath's voice broke through to the momentarily stunned young Wingleaders and their weyrmates, and Al forced back his shock and grief with a shake of his head. Dodging a stray blast of flame from a passing Blue Istan chasing a Green Despair, he responded with a terse, Understood, Weyrleader.

Tag M'del/Isith

On the lookout for the rest of their Wing - K'vyn had spotted Doktorr and Donnath towards the ground among a surprisingly large cluster of others, while Al identified Isith locked in battle with Brown Despair - the Brownpair consulted each other briefly, Luna acting as go-between due to building static in their bond. Then Al directed his speech to those under his command, already powering towards his new target. Trinity, finish whatever task you're currently engaged in, then do your best to form up with your Wingmates. Even half a Wing against one or two Despairs at a time will be far more efficient and less risky. He sent private instructions to Nalunath to help Doktorr, then added to Isith, Brother, ware, I come! And with a roar he charged the undead brown from the side, withholding his flame for the moment and keeping an eye on his Second to ensure they didn't accidentally collide with each other instead of the Despair.

~*~
Tag Doktorr/Donnath

Donnath, I and Mine are coming to aid you. Nalunath spoke even as she dove, dodging gouts of flame and reaching talons on the way down. Seeing their passengers and realizing what they were about, she added, I can watch your back until you leave. Will you be returning?

~*~

They were late. Rhyn regretted the fact, but it couldn't be helped. The memories of Telgar were still too fresh, and West quailed at the thought of losing contact with Hers, the anguish of that time consciously forgotten but instinctively recalled. Kitting up had taken only a couple minutes, but they'd had to stop before coming, to take a few - or more - moments to brace themselves against facing another Weyr-wide Incursion and the inevitable static that was sure to come, at some point.

Finally, ready as they'd ever be, they lifted off their weyr and betweened.

They came in at a moderate altitude, just above the Weyrbowl. Westavirith hovered a moment, the Greenpair scanning the battle, then she banked, beginning to climb so she could use her speed in her favorite maneuver, a striking dive.

Then BLUE TAIL IN FACE OWOWOWOWOW!

Shrieking from the unexpected, painful blow across her snout, she lashed out reflexively with a foreleg even as the rest of the draconic bulk impacted her. Look out! she roared in warning, recognizing Hondath too late to do more than attempt to alter the blow so it wouldn't hit anything vital, like an eye - or A'ur. Or maybe she'd miss entirely, she didn't know; she was too disoriented to tell what part of the Blue she was looking at or what part would come in range next, and the paw-blow was anything but well-aimed.

Rhyn simply hung on for dear life and tried not to throw up from the sudden, familiar but thankfully non-Blight-related vertigo.

((If anything is incorrect or whatnot, let me know. I'm still new to actually writing battle scenes.))
~*~ Wingleader K'vyn of Brown Alamanth~#BA6F1E
~*~ Healer Rosaryn of White Nalunath~#DCFFDF
~*~ Wherhandler Maebyl of Bronze Maesk~#BA6F1E
~*~ Weyrling Healer Krysctyl of White Estrith~#D4C4A8

~*~Wingrider Syrhyna of Green Westavirith~#1D491E Pixel by the wonderful Filch! %mh%-15%mh%
Reply
Like

Oshuu
Candidate
Oshuu
Candidate
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 04:03

16 May 2012, 03:12 #68

GET OFF! GET OFF! Hondath screeched at Westavirith as the green lashed out at him. With a desperate sort of twist and flail, he avoided the majority of injury – or so he thought. It took a few seconds, but a very bright shot of pain suddenly burst through the patchy, static-filled bond. [color=2b4f81]What? WHAT IS IT? he roared into his bonded’s head.

It took A’ur several moments to respond in turn, partially because it took his mount that long to get upright again, and partially because he was grasping at his thigh. While the green had tried to pull back and the blue had tried to wheel away, the tips of her claws still raked against him and against Hondath’s ribs. Not enough to sever, barely enough to bother the dragon at all, but human flesh was much more fragile. Blood was already seeping out and staining his shredded pant. Fucking hell.

The blue, however, had larger concerns. Rath had taken advantage of the moment. The Despair swooped in again, this time launching at the green’s haunches instead of Hondath’s. He spared the blue a knowing glance as he bared tooth and claw. The living male roared his defiance and turned forthright, ignoring all and every wound. MOVE! he shrieked to Westavirith before belching at flame at Rath’s topside.
[x] Wingleader D'can of green Morgauth (#00C78C)
[x] Wingrider A'ur of blue Hondath (#2B4F81)
[x] Wingrider Volana of brown Fusrodath (#673f07)
[x] Weyrling Isvai of black Belgaerth (#808069)
[x] Candidate Roanoke
Reply
Like

Kestalì
Wingrider
Kestalì
Wingrider
Joined: 26 Jan 2012, 03:59

16 May 2012, 03:54 #69

I'M TRYING! the Green shrieked back, wings flapping awkwardly in attempt to pull away without smacking the Blue. She'd have to apologize for the strike later, right now they had other priorities.

"WEST!" Rhyn yelled, both physically and mentally, "BEHIND!" Her flamethrower was still strapped in, there was no time to draw the rifle around her back and her vision still swam so even her pistol was out.

West roared in response and finally wrenched away from Hondath, snapping at the Despair and twisting so she dropped back - and Rider - first towards the ground, hoping it was fast enough to avoid the attack and give the Blue room to maneuver. Sharding rotting welp, come get me! she snarled in part terror, part adrenaline-fueled determination, talons bared to protect her belly. If it followed, she'd give it a run, and if it didn't she'd turn around anyway and help the other try and tear it apart. Syrhyna agreed wholeheartedly with her bondmate.

She did not want to see another Weyr fall to these abominations!
~*~ Wingleader K'vyn of Brown Alamanth~#BA6F1E
~*~ Healer Rosaryn of White Nalunath~#DCFFDF
~*~ Wherhandler Maebyl of Bronze Maesk~#BA6F1E
~*~ Weyrling Healer Krysctyl of White Estrith~#D4C4A8

~*~Wingrider Syrhyna of Green Westavirith~#1D491E Pixel by the wonderful Filch! %mh%-15%mh%
Reply
Like

Firebird
Wingrider
Firebird
Wingrider
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 20:56

16 May 2012, 04:07 #70

((Small post, I know...))

Oh hey, she was being called. Norion turned her head away from the fighting and looked over at Fusrodath and Volana, the latter of which had apparently fallen over. Had this brownrider been in the air so long she had to get used to being on land again? Norion supposed that if sea-legs were a thing, so were air-legs. Or it could just be the mud. Rain was a pain in the ass sometimes.

It couldn't hurt to get in the good graces of a fighting dragonrider. Couldn't hurt at all. Norion went over to Volana and held out her arm for the other to take. "No problem at all, ma'am. You're not hurt, I hope? Doesn't seem likely a Despair could leave an unnoticeable wound on a squishy human, but it doesn't hurt to ask."

(x) Senar, Technician and handler of bronze Senask
(x) Norion, troublemaker and self-professed guard
(x) O'ver of Blue Wilkith
(x) Silone, Glasscrafter
(x) Alley, Beastcrafter
(x) Eldger, Holder %mh%-311%mh%
Reply
Like